fibro and phychologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by grannymo4, Jan 11, 2011.

1. grannymo4

grannymo4 New Member

I am new at posting to message boards, but need to vent. I have been diagnosed with fibro, thoracic myopathy, and chronic fatigue. Recently I had to visit a new dr who suggested a phychologist. I am so sick of this. The problems that I am having are physical. Why is it so easy for some Dr.'s to automatically beleive that the pain and problems associated with fibro are "all in your head".
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

Hmmm! grannymo4 this is a very common habit that physicians have.

Two areas of health that primary care physicians are poorly trained in are Psychology and Immunology but they are worst at Psychology because like many people they will indulge in un-confirmed theories about illness. (such as somatisation) Most post-graduate learning for a doctor comes via drug companies and very little of that is psychological so they formulate their own ideas. Psychology is a very complex and difficult science and is clinically weak and limited so many doctors do it themselves naively. Popular "psychology" books are partly to blame for this. The third area that many are bad at is listening. (arrogance closes the ears).

Psychogenic (psychologically caused) somatic illness is not common, unless you want to call anxiety, alcoholism, drug abuse, violence etc illnesses. Many illnesses are affected by psychological issues such as stress of many types, over-reacting to one's illness and various unadaptive behaviours, such as taking to the bed for too long and particularly to inability to deal with other people's reactions to our illness. But these are effects not causes.

ME/CFS and FMS and MCS are "mostly" biochemical imbalances in the immune and nervous systems but the information has not reached many physicians because it is too complex and time consuming for them to study. They are waiting for official statements or solidly confirmed data, in the meantime they commit the crime of psychologising without confirmed data - the world over.

I know this because I am a Psychologist working with this illness.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2011]
  3. JimB51

JimB51 Member

with many Doctors,Psychiatists and Psychologists ...

"When you don't understand the problem ... blame the patient".
  4. grannymo4

grannymo4 New Member

thanks, I am very fortunate that my gp and neurologist are very understanding, and really listen to me. both of them beleive me when i tell them what is going on. The social security dr. and other dr.s that i have seen have not been.
  5. luigi21

luigi21 Member

I would have felt the same as you a few years back, but ive actually asked for referral to psychology now, unfortunately theres a massive stigma round it in the uk, but i say ball's take all the help your offered, theres nothing wrong in having a good old chinwag to someone about your stuff, even if its just about having to cope with your condition from day to day, I'm all for taking any doors that are open, doesn't mean your mental, just mean we're normal people living in a bloody insane society, take up the option see how it goes, then go on to the next option. I go to a fibro group and alot of members have found psychotherapy quite useful. At the very least your exhaust that option and he won't bother suggesting it again LOL.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2011]
  6. livinginpain555

livinginpain555 New Member

Hello
    Hey i hear exactly what your saying! if they don't understand it it must be mental! these Drs. need to experience the pain we Go through! and they Need to learn to care properly for there patients. Hang in there find a dr . that believes in our disease ! i know it;s bad enough to have the Disease! but then treated like it's mental , so wrong!!!!

Don.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

General counselling and CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) can help anyone with an illness or a stressfull situation. Research has shown that if the counsellor is familiar with your illness they can be a very useful guide and resource to adaptation and recovery. (That goes for cancer, infectious illnesses and immunological illness such as MS, RA, SLE). Some people prefer to use the internet and other networks for help and guidance but for others an informed counsellor is better. Problem with non-professional networks is the lack of informed guidance.

This is all quite different to saying the illness is psychogenic. Just be sure what your doctor is saying. Are they saying you could get get help with dealing with the illness or are they saying you have a mental illness and need counselling for that. I would hope there are fewer who would be saying the latter for FMS or ME/CFS. (I know there are still many who think MCS is a cognitive-behavioural problem).