Fibro and shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sniffles, Oct 9, 2010.

1. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I was ask today if I knew if someone who has had shingles and still in lots of pain, can it turn into fibromyalgia. I didn't know even though I have had shingles several yrs ago. I was lucky and got over them long before I came down with this awful fibro. Can anyone help answer this question. Right now, my pain level is pretty high and I don't think I could handle the terrible pain that shingles causes also. Thanks to anyone that may have some answers.
  2. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had the shingles when I was a small child, and I think my fibro showed up not too long after that. So did my type 1 diabetes. I didnt have the really bad fibromyalgia until 1999, but I believe somehow they are connected. Only my opinon though.

You might try the search engine on this web site, I think that has been brought up before.

JR
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

look up postherpetic neuralgia, if shingles wasnt treated quickly or efficiently with antivirals and pain meds, then theres a higher risk of some long term damage to the nerves affected by the shingles virus and can persist for a long time. So not really fibro but PHN-postherpetic neuralgia. Not to say u cant have both though. Treatment are similar to fibro like lyrica and neurontin are used. Hope this helps.

cheers!!!