Fibro and shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sniffles, Oct 9, 2010.

1. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I was ask today if I knew if someone who has had shingles and still in lots of pain, can it turn into fibromyalgia. I didn't know even though I have had shingles several yrs ago. I was lucky and got over them long before I came down with this awful fibro. Can anyone help answer this question. Right now, my pain level is pretty high and I don't think I could handle the terrible pain that shingles causes also. Thanks to anyone that may have some answers.
  2. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had the shingles when I was a small child, and I think my fibro showed up not too long after that. So did my type 1 diabetes. I didnt have the really bad fibromyalgia until 1999, but I believe somehow they are connected. Only my opinon though.

You might try the search engine on this web site, I think that has been brought up before.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

look up postherpetic neuralgia, if shingles wasnt treated quickly or efficiently with antivirals and pain meds, then theres a higher risk of some long term damage to the nerves affected by the shingles virus and can persist for a long time. So not really fibro but PHN-postherpetic neuralgia. Not to say u cant have both though. Treatment are similar to fibro like lyrica and neurontin are used. Hope this helps.

[ advertisement ]