Fibro and Tattoos

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoyJoyBinks, May 28, 2003.

1. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

I am kind of new to the boards, and this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone here has any tattoos and if so, how getting a tattoo effected your Fibromyalgia. Thank you so much!
  2. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

Thank you so much for your input! I really apperciate it! I will still consider getting a tattoo.
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

has numerous tats and piercings, and fibro. As we each have our own level of pain tolerance, I guess it would be hard to generalize. From what I understand from him, after a few minutes your endorphins kick in and it's not so bad. That's him. Me, I'd probably pass out. ;-) Maybe start with something very small and see how you do? BTW, what type of tat are you considering ... and where? Happy painting!
    Hayley
  4. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

I'm thinking about getting a Greek flag tattooed on my upper arm. (I'm Greek) And if that goes OK, I have a few more in mine. Thanks for the info!
  5. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

Thanks, I really feel more comfortable about getting one now!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had my navel pierced a few years ago and it didn't bother me. I do have a high pain tolerance though.

Love, Mikie
  7. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

I've also been considering getting my eyebrow pierced. I have a high pain tolerance so I think I will be able to hand it. Thanks!
  8. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have a tattoo and don't think it hurt me anymore than other people. It does hurt OUCH :)
  9. allhart

allhart New Member

been thinking about the tattoo thing for a while but have been putting it off,
    i too also got my navel pierced a few years back and it wasnt that bad at all,
    fyi, sil says the eyebrow hurts worse then the naval,
  10. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I have 2 tattoos ... one located on my ankle and the other located more to the "north" (ahem). As much as the first one hurt, I surprised myself when I got the one on my ankle ... that one really wasn't that bad. I don't really think getting tattoos has affected my fibro, or vice-versa. I just like the art -- I'm even thinking about a third! :)

Jan ^v^
  11. JoyJoyBinks

JoyJoyBinks New Member

Yes, I've heard that the eyebrow does hurt more than the naval, but I'm still considering it. Thanks for the info!
  12. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

I had three...
    one to go to New York (which I did, on my own for five days over Christmas 1999 and it was the coolest thing ever)

to learn to play the piano : we have just bought a piano off eBay, which is still sadly stuck in the hall until Phil takes the door frame off to get it into the hall LOL

and to have a celtic symbol tattoo...but I need to tone up a bit first...good incentive eh?

Mikie - a naval piercing...you rock!

hugs
    Mary x
  13. chknmama

chknmama New Member

I have 2 tats and am planning on a 3rs.Other than the pain of getting them it didnt affect my Fibro.What type of tats do you have??I have a pink cancer ribbon on my ankle,as I had breast cancer and a baby chicken on my thigh,my grandchildren call me chickenmama. LOLOLOLOL
  14. Lox

Lox New Member

I have 2 tatts and got my first one when i turned 30, gosh how time flies haha.

One is a big Celtic Cross on my left calf and the other is another I drew and my son 'prettied' up for me, it's a cherub and sits almost on my right shoulder, chest side.

My son draws tattoos and has done for years, he has 4 beautiful black ones that he designed himself.

I was supposed to get one for my 40th birthday but haven't got round to it yet. It is a Celtic peice and will sit on the back of my neck, designed by my boy of course. I might go the whole hog and get that and the eyebrow peircing I have always done soon. My partner has some great ones too but I like the Scorpio one he has - my star sign - means I am always with him :)

Cheers

Lauren :)

15. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I have 8 tattoos..and my nose pierced. I also have fibro...and I thought the tattoos did not hurt a bit(a little bit of a turn on actually!) I put 6 of the 8 tattoos on myself(I am a artist) and pierced my own nose..but I also have a high pain threshold.I am going to put another tatt on in the near future:eek:)
  16. wildchild224

wildchild224 New Member

First, it depends on where you get the tat.
    The one on my breast was more annoying then painful.
    My right ankle was a whole other story.....first, there was a lot of shading and it hurt like a mo fo. BUT.....nothing we havnt all felt and delt with before. Then, for the next 2 days my ankle was really really achy - but it went away and I don't appear to have any lasting effects.

I think that if you reason for wanting the tat is the right one, then you will be able to "tough it out".

Good Luck!
  17. horsegal

horsegal New Member

or have some things "loose". I have been lol at all the tat stories. Never would have guessed in a million years of all the "fibros" with tats!! You wild things!!
  18. wolflake46

wolflake46 New Member

I promised myself that I was going to get a tatoo when I turned 40 and I was true to my word I have a dreamcatcher tatttooed on my left ankle. I didn't think it was painful at all. I say if you want one, go for it.

Diane
  19. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I got my 1st tattoo when I was 18 and my 4th when I was 39. I was dx'd with FM at 40. I got my naval pierced last month. I have always had a fairly moderate pain tolerance and I didn't notice any difference when I got my piercing. I am planning my next tattoo on my lower back and hope to get it before the end of the year.

Go for it! Lisa
  20. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

I got my tat when I was 20. It's a crescent moon and star around the bikini area towards my stomach. NEVER get one there if you are ever planning to have kids!!! It got so messed up from stretch marks, you can hardly recognize what it is anymore! When I lose the baby weight and get that tummy tuck.....I'm going to have it redone into something else to fix it. I had my belly button pierced before I got pregnant and had to remove it about 5 months into the pregnancy. It really irritated me, and hurt from the stretching I guess. My friend's piercing stayed in the whole time she was pregnant, and it never was removed. Maybe it was just me. It didn't hurt to get it, neither did my tat; infact I'm going to get another one in July...don't know exactly what yet. I'm working on the design myself. Good luck to you! Have fun!
    ~Tina~