Fibro and Vit. D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missdiz, Jun 8, 2010.

1. missdiz

missdiz New Member

Hi ~ I have had fibro for 10 years and have had pain level at 8/9 for over 18 months (which was documented in a Stanford study). I have never taken vitamins and am still not an advocate of "vitamins". To make a long story...short, after my normal 6 month blood work my primary doctor mentioned that maybe I should take 1000 mg. of Vit. D for my bones. "By chance (?)" Within 2 weeks my pain went from 8/9 to about a 2. Today it was about 1. First time in 10 years. I let him know and he did a Vit. D test. I was low. He has put me on 2000 mg for 2 months and then back on the 1000. Just in case this might help someone...I am passing it on.

It is sure worth a try.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Glad to hear that you found something that worked, missdiz. We've been so conditioned to stay out of the sun for fear of melonoma, that no one thought about the possibility of creating a Vitamin D deficiency.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A vitamin D deficienty can be associaed with pain. You do however have to be careful about how much you take once your level is normal.

4. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Im glad the vit d helped with your pain. It didnt help with my pain but it did help with a general feeling of not being as tired. Ive never been a big vitamin person but i dont miss a day of my d3.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That's great! I'm really surprised that you haven't been tested for Vit D deficiency - or has he before and you were fine? That's the first thing that should be tested since it can have an impact on a lot of things, mood, energy and yes pain - if you're deficient. I take it and I'm not deficient.

Regarding vitamins - it's funny because I've read a lot about them lately and most everything we need can be found in our food. That's the optimum way to get the vitamins we need. (not necessarly Vit D but we do have the opportunity to get it naturally, which is the point that was being made)

Most importantly, I am SO glad your pain levels are way down. You must feel like a different person!