Fibro brain fog or AD withdrwal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jul 15, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi everyone! I'm still hanging in here in case you wondered where I've been. LOL. I am still in the withdrawal process from Paxil and it is kicking my butt, and probably still feeling the effects of the Effexor withdrawal (shudder).

I have SERIOUS brain fog and I just wonder how much of it is withdrawal and how much is FM? I know no one can really tell me, I'm just wondering aloud here. The fog never really seems to ease up, even when I stay at a certain dose of Paxil for a good while trying to "level off". There just doesn't seem to be any leveling off!

Has anyone else been through this? I just wonder how much the brain fog is going to be with me forever, even when I am AD free. Do alot of you here have major brain fog and confusion even without taking ADs?
  2. place

place New Member

I often have sinus infections50-60 % of the time, and there is no way to get rid of the fog until I am clear of the infection.

However, I do notice a huge difference if I have eaten berries, exspcially blue berries. Also the day after I eat fish.

If I eat berries and fish on the same day, the next day I am sharp as a tack!

Conversely, if I eat any form of soy (two bits of Cinna bun) and I couldn't operate a car (sounds funny but I am dead serious, it's that bad).
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

When I was quitting the SSRI I'd been on for two years I thought I was absolutely losing my mind. My brain was not only foggy, it was non-existent and it was very scary.

Strangely, I haven't quite gotten myself back together yet but I am NOT taking another one. It's was too hard to quit.

By the way, magnesium with malic acid has done a lot for my brain fog as did the Paleo diet.

Marta
  4. reckabek

reckabek New Member

i just got off of paxil 2 mnths ago, and really never knew what fog was, till i was decribing this sensation...fibro brain fog...is what i got...i was told, but yes i had the same thing for weeks, after only being on paxil for 3 months...it was crazy, and scarey...mine was medicine induced, cause ive been pretty fine since. how long have u been AD free?? best to ya, beck....
  5. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

I haven't been through this. I have been on an AD for 3 years and staying on it. The depression is still there and chronic. I have heard that the withdrawals can be awful. I hoping and praying that you will be over that soon, to be feel better. My brain fogs anytime, and had gotten me into messes. I hope the best for you.

Rose
  6. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Antidepressant drugs change the way your brain uses its chemicals. It takes awhile for your brain to adjust itself again to being without the ADs.

Taking amino acids have helped me with that problem - they are the nutritive substances used by your nervous system to make brain chemicals like serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

Think about trying them - I'll bet you'll be pleased at how much sharper you feel. It's good to take B vitamins along with the amino acids.

I'm finally off the Effexor for good, and feeling better everyday :)

Roseblossom
  7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Reckabeck,
    I know exactly what you mean by "non-existent". It is utterly terrifying. I "think" I am through the worst of that from the Effexor, and that is why I am going so slowly with the Paxil.

Roselblossom,
    That is very encouraging to know you are doing better and better! I am SO glad to be off of Effexor, and glad I didn't take it longer than I did (only 3 weeks, and it messed me up this bad)! I haven't tried amino acids, but I've tried the B viatmins before and found them a little too stimulating. I got night sweats and anxiety, I think from the B3.

Marta,
    I am on the magnesium and I think this is definitely helping with my anxiety and blood pressure!

I am not free of Paxil yet. I am tapering it VERY slowly, as I have been on it 14 years and I just can't take another "hard" withdrwawal like I did with the Effexor.

My brain fog is better but still not great. I guess it won't be completely gone until I am completely off the Paxil for a while.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]