Fibro, Depression and Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, Aug 30, 2005.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I was diagnosed with fibro in February 2004. I have suffered with depression most of my adult life. I am 47. I had to quit my real estate job in January 2005 because of the depression and fibromyalgia. Since then, I've struggled tremendously financially and emotionally along with the ups and downs of fibro. I am wondering what I have to do to try to get disability income. I know from reading the posts and talking to friends how difficult it is to be approved. I feel I have to try anyway, as there is no income coming in except for my husband's and it's not enough. Do you all recommend I see a psychiatrist as my first step? I'm told it is 'easier' to be approved with the depression diagnosis than fibromyalgia diagnoses.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and input.
  2. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

I don't think anything about the disability process is easy. I've gotten my first denial. It was deavestating to me to apply in the first place, but being ill is a financial burden. I think I'd head to a good disability lawyer first, after all, it's their system. Seems like the system is just made for the lawyers, not the disabled. Hope you have better luck.
    Helen
  3. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thank you! I will give that a try. How do you go about finding a good disability lawyer?
  4. cats3

cats3 New Member

try American Bar Association
    http://www.abanet.org/home.html
    also try the different FMS web sites they sometimes will list disability lawyers
    Ask any lawyers you know if they can recommend one and there is always the phone book(yellow pages).
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and doing it again. first of all did you pay into social security? i'm not sure but sounds like you are a real estate sales person. sometimes people don't do that and they may not get any ssdi, but coudl qualify for ssi instead.

and you want to list all of of disabilities whatever it may be. and yes see a psycologist or a psychiatrist for depression part and then md for the fibromyalgia and anything else you have going on. list it all. it is going to be a little more difficult to attain sometimes because of our age being younger. i'm 40 going on 41 soon. so we have different requieremnts for working.

and for an attorny i have one here in san francisco area that can take mine all the way to the ferderal appeals level. only five in the bay area that could. she has been doing it for over 25 years. she is great.

so that maybe a consideration. and ask people who are on disability if they can reccomend someone.

good luck.
    jodie

6. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I hate this too. I don't know if or when i will ever get it. I will keep trying.

Donna