Fibro & Depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rck, Dec 22, 2010.

1. rck

rck New Member

I'm new here, 48 years young, still working full-time. I was diagnosed around 10 years ago. Lots of pain and several different meds, that either had to many side affects or they just didnt work. Well around a year ago the depression started to get worse, omgosh some days its just awful!! I have cut off most of my friends b/c I never want to go anywhere, but my husband has been great. I have 2 sons that are married and I've just recently told them of some of my problems. I dont think they understand one keeps telling me I need to get up and do something he just doesnt realize what its like with this pain somedays. With the depression some days I get nothing done here at home, I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm at a point that I dont know what to do. Any suggestions? A family member told me that maybe I need to talk to someone, so I decided to go to the internet instead of a psychiatrist. That costs so much now days even with insurance. I've went to a chat room here but I really dont know what to say to anyone. Sorry to go on and on just trying to explain whats going on with me. I just need to hear some other opinions since I'm at this place in my life with the depression, I dont want to go on like this for the rest of my life. so I'm looking and asking for any ideas. Thanks rck
  2. rck

rck New Member

Thank you for your input, about 2 months ago I had a vitamin D deficiency which was a total shock to me considering I used to be outside a lot. I know from what my doctor said part of it could come from my age, but she also knows of my depression and staying inside a lot more than I used to. I'm now on otc meds for the D, I had to do a prescription to start with and of course I also now take calcium plus the D. I'll just keep looking and trying to find what will work for me, I just want it fixed and like yesterday lol, gotta laugh instead of crying the zoloft they put me on a couple of months ago really helped with the crying thank goodness. I'm on xanax to help me sleep I went for over 2 months only sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night, so with the meds at least most of the time I can get some rest. Which has helped. I read the post you were talking about. I'll try not to just give up and close myself off more than I already have. I'll just keep trying thank you.
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Please know that you are not alone.

Depression is an awful condition and belive me I know!
    I will take fibro pain over depression any day.

Wellbutrin has worked very well for me for the last 10 years.
    I take Lyrica for fibro pain. Lyrica helps but is no cure all.
    Vitamin D3 is a must.

There are many ideas on this board and no one remedy works for everyone.

I learned through trial and error what works best for me.

I like what you say about "you gotta laugh" I agree that laughter is a good medicine.

By pacing myself a little at a time, I manage to accomplish quite a lot.

At 71 years of age life is better than when I was young.

You will get through this and the sun will shine again for you.
    Love Denamay

4. rck

rck New Member

thank you, hope the sun shines soon. these dark and dreary days are getting longer.
  5. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I feel your pain. Literally. I am 40 years old, major depression and FM. I too, dont want to go anywhere, or do anything. I am going thru the disability process at the moment.

I too am married to a wonderful man who is very helpful and understanding. I have two boys, 18 and 13. My 18 yr old isnt living here at the time. My 14 year old has ADHD and pushes me to the limit with his mouth and attitude.

If I dont HAVE to go anywhere, I dont. On those days that I am home, I dont want to get out of bed. I stay in my sleepwear all day. I do prepare dinner always with help, or sometimes my husband does it after working all day. And I do the dishes, again with help. That is what I do daily. That is all I do.

If I have to go somewhere, I get dressed but as soon as I walk back in the doors, I am in my sleepwear. I hate driving anywhere. If possible I try to schedule things on days that my husband has off.

I am not a morning person and usually sleep until around 11 or noon. I wish I had some suggestions for you. I try to "make" myself do things, to feel like I've accomplished something, which usually makes me feel better mentally. I may have the thought to do something but it usually doesnt get done because I dont have the energy.

This board is helpful. Most of the people here are really nice. I'm sure there will be some other suggestions for you from others. I'm fairly new here myself. Just joining after the diagnosis.

Welcome to the board,
  6. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I thought I'd been doing pretty well through the summer. Then, right after Thanksgiving we had to put our 12-year old dog to sleep. She had developed cancer and went downhill quickly.

I haven't been the same since, even though we did go out quickly and get another adorable dog from the animal shelter. I asked my doctor if I could increase my Cymbalta from 90 mg to 120 mg temporarily and the nurse told me the maximum dose was 60 mg. So now I don't know what to do.

I'm sure part of my depression is exhaustion. I just can't stay asleep even though I take 25 mg trazodone each evening. I had been taking 10 mg amitriptyline each evening, but hate the side effects (major weight gain) so I stopped taking it. I've bought many supplements which seem to help somewhat.

This illness is like a never-ending spiral. The lack of sleep causes depression, muscle pain and exhaustion. And the muscle pain and depression causes lack of sleep. The chain has to be broken at the lack of sleep link, but I don't know how.
  7. rck

rck New Member

It is never ending thats for sure. I've had this around 10 years or longer the first dx was RA that was with blood work. Which came about 15 years ago, well I dont have RA. 2 years after I was dx with it, all of sudden it no longer showed up in blood work, well then it was more blood work, this went on for a while, then finally I was told FM, but guess what (I'm sure you already know) some dr's believed it was all in your head lol that was a joke!!! Thankfully my dr now is great and she is concerned with my pain but she is more worried right now about the depression. At least she seems to care, but as my oldest told me the meds arent a cure all for the depression I was going to have to make myself get out of the house, I just laughed. Dont get me wrong I still work full time, I come home let the dogs out and hit the recliner for a nap. My husband works long hours but he has been great!! Sometimes I dont know how he puts up with me, LOVE thankfully b/c most of the time I dont even like myself. The pain is bad at times I cant do the things I used to, and I've had a hard time accepting that but I'm learning to pace myself and everything doesnt get done all at one time like it used to. I could just scream b/c today is going to be busy, having to go places and I just dont want to!!! I will make myself go. Sorry didnt mean to do all this venting. I take alprazolam (xanax) to help me sleep, and it is helping. I'm on zoloft also now, it has helped with the crying thank goodness, b/c I couldnt control it. I've tried several meds and Savella helped the most for the pain, but I couldnt handle the side affects. So sorry didnt mean to write a book here, it just seemed to all pour out at once. For anyone that has time to read this I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!!!!