Fibro Diagnosis Confirmed/Dreading Long Car Trip

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Feb 5, 2007.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I finally did get a firm diagnosis of fibromyalgia from a highly respected rheumatologist in January. It took awhile to get the diagnosis, but I actually feel better since I got the diagnosis because I know what I'm dealing with. The rheumy felt the onset of fibro was due to an emotional/physical trauma I suffered in the Fall of 2005. I did keep a timeline of all the vague symptoms I had been suffering from--for example, I never thought the dry-eye I suffered from last summer and the burning irritated skin around my eyes was part of the flare. I have adapted to the exercise regimen that the rheumy wants me to follow and it is definitely helping because my sleep pattern has been restored. He also gave me dietary restrictions--absolutely no red meat, among others. I am not taking any medication except for b6/magnesium. I am also very conscious of pulling back and resting when I get that extreme "Dorothy in the poppy fields" tired feeling, sitting down with my feet up for 20 minutes or so.
    All that being said, I am very apprehensive about a 5 hour car trip that I have to make at the end of the month. We will be returning the very next day, so that's roughly 10+ hours of car travel in a 24 hour period. This trip can't be avoided and has to be done this way. The last time I made this trip, it set off a really bad flare, SO PLEASE, everybody, post suggestions for me for this car trip. Thanks.

2. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Can you stay at yur destination an extra day to help with recovery?
    That's what I'd do.
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It's been a while since I travelled that far. My family all live 6 hours away.

In order for me to travel that distance, I find that I need a couple of days bed rest before the trip and a heating pad during and after the trip for a couple more days. I work full time so needless to say, we don't travel very much. Four days to recover from a 1 or 2 day trip uses up a lot of vacation time.

Good luck with your trip!

Eileen

4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

take pain pills with you and try to stop atleast every 2 hrs to walk around for a few min. I also take one of those dogbone shaped pillows to put behind my neck and a pillow for the small of my back.

Its still very hard for me especially if it is raining or cold outside. We took a 5 hr trip acouple of yrs ago and it was rough. My husband had to almost tear me out of the car. It was supposed to be like yours with a night over but at the last min, he decided he wanted us to go home instead so I had a ten hr drive with about 3 hrs on my feet at a family reunion. It was a nightmare and it took weeks to get over it.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Suzette
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I travel alot but it is by airplane and of course you are as cramped as can be in those situations. The minute I sit down my RLS part of my fibro starts in. I take my tramadol before I even get on. Since I am on Requip now for that part of the promblem (RLS)I haven't flown so don't know how it will affect me. You don't say if you are pain meds. Best of luck and I hope you have an enjoyable time. Try to get out and walk as much as you can during the trip.
  6. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Welcome. I would say that you may need to talk to your doc and see if he can give you something for the ride. Like
    drahamine (which is used to help people with motion sickness) like Zanax for this ride if you are that preocuppied about it. I got Zanax when I was nervous to fly & that pretty much kept me calm & knocked out. I hate flying especially after 9-11.

Good luck & I hope that you can take something to help you.

your friend,
    fun