Fibro Diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MoosesMom, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MoosesMom

MoosesMom New Member

I'll be the first to admit, by diet stinks!! I rarely get near a green veggie and if it's deep fried I'm all into it. So, since I need to change my diet anyway, is there a "Fibro Diet"?
  2. rosethorn

rosethorn New Member

Hi MoosesMom,

I went to a Naturopath Dr. who helped me find my allergies to different foods. It was a very long process but well worth the effort. I ended up having problem with gluton (so no wheat flour or any flours that contain gluton), milk (so no milk, cheeze, butter, etc. but I do have it once in awhile), corn. Since this time, I found out through reading different materials that wheat & milk allergies seem to be fairly common in people with FM. Wheat, makes my ears feel plugged, my throat muscles get really tight; milk makes my nose stuffed up; Corn makes me really tired.

Don't know if this helps any but I would encourage you to find out your food allergies. The diet isn't always fun but worth it
  3. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

I read online from various doctors that a high protein diet works best for FMS.

I find it hard to stick to any particular diet though I do try to stick with low glycemic food groups.
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

lots of protein and no sugar. I also use soy milk and no dairy. This diet was given to me by my chiro and has helped trememdously. I also snack on nuts, protein bars, which are very hard to find without sugar.

You can eat some fruit, but should be ones with low sugar content. You can also eat all the veggies you want.
  5. lilione

lilione New Member

diet, lots of fruit , veggies, whole grains and low fat meats. Going off of sugar and esp. aspartame has helped me tremendously. I use and cook with stevia, if I have a taste for anything sweet. Happy experimenting, there's lots of good and fun foods out there. Lili
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi MoosesMom,

I too am a Mom to Moose...I recently lost him but will always be his Mom...I will be doing my bio soon and including his pic too...As soon as I can get to it...
    Tell me about your boy please...My Moose was a BIG beautiful boy...Two nicknames were "Pretty Boy" and "Hundred Pound Blanket", you get the idea...
    If you would like to share about your boy, please write under this topic, I will check back...

As for the diet, Protein Power (Atkins-like) worked very well for most my symptoms...But as we all know with this DD we crave many 'not-so-healthy' choices...Anyhoo, I did very well on high protein, low sugar...

BTW, my login name was the name we used to described me to Moose...I was his Mama Dove (Love in Moose talk)

Gentle Hugs to you and your boy MOOSE, Alicia
  7. gramaT

gramaT New Member

What do you have for breakfast, etc? I need to avoid sugar which is hard for me. also, when do you take the probiotic, before eating? I have been so tired, wondered if it is herxing?

thanks,
    Carolyn
    (proud mom of two sons in military)
  8. learning2live

learning2live New Member

I'm in the process of reading "The Maker's Diet," and think that's what my hubby and I will do. The book makes a lot of sense, and that's always good! ;)

I've read the testimonials for The Halellujah Diet, and was amazed. I just don't think I can do a mostly raw diet. Both are interesting, convincing, and have websites you can take a peek at. I believe our bodies are meant to heal themselves and it is our responsibility to give our body the fuel it needs to do that.

Good luck!!
  9. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Stormy,
    Thanks so much for the tips on what to eat. I actually took a morning probiotic with my coffee... bad! I will wait till its thru my system further. Your diet really doesn't sound bad. I think I'll try to do better. I don't care much for meat either, at least not so much of it.

Thanks again
    Carolyn (grama T)
  10. MoosesMom

MoosesMom New Member

MamaDove, in response to your questions regarding my Moose. My boy is 3 years old and weighs in at a petite little 85 pounds ;-0. I love him dearly and he believes that I am simply the most fabulous human on earth. His favorite things to do are sleep on the bed and chew my underware which he steals out of the dirty clothes hamper. Never messes with DD or DH's only mine. He is a bit of a breed snob in that he likes other Labs but isn't so keen on other breeds. He loves to chase the family cats and they love to trick him up by leading him down the hardwood hall or the linoleum floor in the kitchen so that he will spin out or do a header into the cabinets. He recently shoved his nose into a ground bee's nest and suffered for 2 days with a very swollen face which we treated with Benedryl and around the clock monitoring. We were rewarded by waking up on the 3rd day and finding him with no swelling and happily chewing away at a pair of undies. I'm so loved.