Fibro? Does Massages, Help or Hurt the situation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nannoc, May 31, 2011.

1. nannoc

nannoc New Member

Is it better to get a Light massage or better to get a very hard massage? I need an answer, thanks.
  2. Jittle

Jittle Member

I say go with medium. Light is too light and does not do enough, and if they go hard you are sore for days after. Make sure you tell them where you trouble spots are so they spend more time there. I tend to go for the 80 minutes so they can spend time on the extra spots: The regular 50 minutes is just a once over of everything.

Thanks for the post I totally forgot (the "fog") that a have a free massage coming to me :)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Massage will break up the debris in our tender spots but unless one is taking the Guaifenesin, the debris will just settle into those spots again. Without the Guai, the debris cannot be excreted through the kidneys. I've had good success with the Guai but, like everything else, it doesn't work for everyone and it's not an easy treatment to stick with.

Love, Mikie
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi nannoc, I get regular massages at least one every 6 weeks, (I can't afford more than that) anyway, my massage therapist knows my body and she has many other patients who have fibro and ones who don't have fibro.

She has to keep it very light for me and sometimes she forgets my condition and massages deep into the muscle, I usually jump and she knows she massaged too deep for me.

Massage really does help me, but only for the short term, and also your massage therapist should be familiar with myofascial pain syndrome, which a lot of us have with fibro. If the massage is going on for too long in one area, my muscles tend to contract and then constrict, and then later I will have burning pain. This is obviously something to avoid and only a therapist who knows your body will be able to gage this the right way.

So needless to say, I am a huge challenge for a massage therapist. But if your therapist knows your body after having at least 5 or more sessions and she knows exactly where to massage to release, but not hurt, tight muscles, it can be wonderful.

What I find interesting is that most of her "fibro patients" like me, have issues in the exact same areas. If she massages between the shoulder blades, for example, and it's not done just right, it will hurt, she says most of her fibro patients will all "jump" at the exact same spots, I found that very interesting. It kind of blows the "theory" that we are hypochondriacs expecially if we all "have the same bad spots", very interesting. Go slow with the massage if you're thinking of trying it out. Hugs, Chelz.