Fibro driver's licences

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momblue, Apr 27, 2007.

1. momblue

momblue New Member

I went to my first ever support group meeting this week. The speaker there was very informative. She did mention that if a fibro & cfs patient applies for the disabilty sticker (for your car & parking), the Dr. may very well report you to have your licence pulled. It seems that if you meet the criteria of depression, fibro and cronic fatigue, you should not be driving. Yes, there are days when I know I will not dare drive as I am so foggy or too tired. I might miss a shoulder check and cause/have a crash!
    Alot of people at the meeting agreed that we may well see the day of not being able to drive, once society fully recognizes fibro to be as serious as we all know it is!
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

I am ALONE and have to drive!!! I only drive a couple of miles here and there ... avoid long jaunts. I get very nervous at times when driving. I got my placcard for OA ... but I also have FMS.
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I dont drive on my bad days and he knows that. I had no trouble getting my handicap plate.

I dont know that we would be singled out for driving when there are so many illnesses that cause problems on the road including truckers without sleep. If thats the case, there would be alot of people not driving and I dont think that will happen.

Im glad you found a support group. Did you find people to be helpful, or was there alot of whining. Thats what Ive heard from some others that have gone.

Suzette
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

because of FM debilitation. What made it worse is having MCS. So I'd be fine to drive to the mall, but all spaced out and too stiff for shoulder checks to drive home.

I'm sure they would only pull our licenses if they found an abnormal amount of accidents caused by people w/ FM/CFS. And even then it takes lots of rigamorole to get a bill passed. I havene't yet heard of someone causing an accident because of the disease. I know I could have caused many if I went out on my bad days, but I treat it like drunk driving and just take a zero tolerance policy.

Jeanne
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I was gonna go in for a few hours today but am hurting so bad. Then the drive for me is close to an hour one way.
    It's about 30 miles. So if they take my liscence then I would have to file for disabilty for sure.
  6. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

beyond doubt that there would be a problem with you driving.

My father was so sick!! He had asthma, emphzema, and had many strokes. But he still had his license for years during this. He only had it taken away (or rather he gave it up) after he had problems with blacking out when he coughed too hard.

There has to be a reason other than just having this disease, to have it taken away.
  7. momof471

momof471 New Member

I had to stop driving my van, the shoulder checks really got me in that, I admit to having a couple of bumps in it too. I do drive out car and some days I'm scared to do that. It would kill me to have that freedom even if I don't use it to much taken away.

God
    Bless
  8. momblue

momblue New Member

I have not tried yet to get a sticker for my car. I was warned from the meeting that it is a possibility. There was one very nice lady there who had fibro, depression, cronic fatigue, and her doctor told her that if he signed her form, she would then meet criteria that he could then deny her and report her to the DMV to have her licence pulled. It was up to the Dr. at that point. She told him not to sign it!
    I think I might just give it a try though.....see if I get the same warning! My next appointment is next month, so I will keep you posted!