Fibro Finally winning..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Jul 30, 2006.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

It's been a year and a half since getting DX'd... Thing have been up and down for about 5 years now. Lately though I'm starting to feel as if the Fibro is winning..

I work a full time job, am married, have a 6 year old and a house... Between all of this it's really started to wear me out...

I've been trying to save money but things fell apart when my wife sorta put too much on a few charge cards so now I'm stressed out over cash...

I'd given up on doctors but am feeling so lousy from not sleeping and the muscle/joint pain, brain fog I'm thinking of going back. The problem is even with insurance, after my co-pay and the meds it's too much money.

I'm only 27 (28 in September) but feel like I should be 60.. It stinks... I don't know what to do. I'm not a big fan of my current doctor but don't want to kill myself hunting down a doctor who will take this as an actual disease... I really wanted to try the FFC but with my cash problems now, it's not an option...

Thanks for letting me vent... I need a nap but it's only 9:20am... 6 1/2 hours to go!!!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

cczub:

Sometimes it is worth 'doctor shopping'. I know it is a pain in the neck, but you might hit on someone who can help you more.

I will hope and pray you find the right person to help you.

nyrofan
  3. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I agree with NyroFan, You may need to find another doctor.
    Hopefully, your insurance will allow you to change doctors.

I look at it this way: You are the patient, the doctor works for YOU! If you are not getting the treatment you need or alternatives cannot be worked out to help your situation in affording meds and so on, you have to go where your needs can be met.

I have so much wrong with me and have a hard time affording my meds too. And, I have NO INSURANCE. The insurance would cost as much as my meds a month ($800).

I know we all feel like the fibro wins at times, but this will pass. I was 26 when diagnosed, I will be 38 in September. I understand what you are going through.

Hang in there and take good care of yourself!

Hugs,
    "E"
  4. toughone

toughone New Member

cczub

I know what severe pain day in and day out can do--but you have to keep fighting! Letting Fibro win is not an option!
    Years ago I had a wonderful doctor who cared about the misery that was my life. She left my HMO, and I went through 4 doctors (one of them told me "the pain couldn't be that bad" and another told me "I don't believe in Fibromyalgia, but then I don't believe in cancer either") Needless to say, I kept looking for that one doctor who would care. I finally found him and he cares about my comfort. So, they ARE out there--doctors who care. Keep trying to find one--keep fighting!! YOU ARE WORTH IT!

Wishing you a wonderful, less pain day...

Toughone
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

He wasn't even expensive and he's trained to treat FM! I went to the Vitality101 site and looked under practitioners (I think that's where I found it anyway-you might have to look around on that site). They have a list of doctors who have taken a course to understand how to treat FM.
    There was one near me. He isn't a preferred provider with my insurance so they still pay for some, but not as much.

Sure hope you hang in there til something starts working for you!
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

My sympathies to you because you are so young. At least make the effort to find a doctor that will help you get out of pain for a few hours a day. That is a goal that can be met. I hope your wife is understanding and will make the rounds with you for encouragement.

I don't know what else to say!
    Best wishes and good luck to you, Jana
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am so sorry that you're feeling so terrible and that you don't have a doctor who is knowledgeable enough to support and help you in this struggle. Try not to think of it as Fibro winning. Try to think of it as you finally accepting that you have a disease that prevents you from doing the things you used to do. Listen to your body and do some searches here. A lot of people have taken their health into their own hands and have found ways to manage their illness.

Each of us is different and you may have to experiment. I hope that you have the support of your wife and that she is understanding regarding your limitations. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you as a man with this awful disease. But, please keep coming back here and posting. There are a lot of men on this board.

That is a great pic of you BTW.

Take care,

Lolalee
  8. cczub

cczub New Member

I don't plan on giving up just yet.. This morning was really bad for me and it's only 10:00 and I'm falling asleep... I can't concentrate on ANYTHING today and I'm just a mess... I've dealt with it really well until the last 2 weeks. I think the added stress with our money situation has just put me over the top.

I really need to find a new doctor. I hate taking pills but am at the point I could use something for the pain(something I can take AFTER work) and something for sleep. I've been taking OTC sleep meds for close to 5 months off and on as I know they can get addicting. They just don't seem to work well anymore...

My wife is accepting. She doesn't ask too much of me(most of the time) but it's hard when you have a 6 year old running around wanting to do stuff with his dad. I took him out fishing on Saturday to the beach. It was 90+ degrees out and we were out there for 3 hours... I could have dropped dead. Then Sunday I helped my cousin do some moving and didn't get home till 4.. I have to learn to SLOW down on the weekends.

Thanks for the support. The picture is from my wedding 2 years ago this August 21st...
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

You DO need to slow down!

Your son does not care that you take him here or there (although I am sure you really want to take him)

Just so you are there for him to throw a baseball, or sit with him in a pool, or read him a story....that is really what matters.

Doesn't sound like the FFC will solve your problems since cash is a problem right now

If it was a sure thing, I would say "Go for it", but it is a gamble.

You need to talk to people - just tell everyone what you have and SOMEBODY with know SOMEONE who has this DD and has had success with a particular doctor. Just keep asking around - "who do you know, who do you know"

I turn 50 tomorrow and feel like I am 90!!! But i will NOT give in to this DD!!!!!!

Keep your chin up and keep trying!!!!
  10. cczub

cczub New Member

I actually have 2 aunts on my wife's side of the family that have FM... However, neither of them reccomend thier doctors... LOL... I'm going to do some searching online today to see if I can find any doctors that deal with FM patients that are in my plan...

Thanks for all the support.
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

For your pain meds you could try some of the programs for Free meds. YOU just need to have a doctor to presribe your meds and you wil be albe to get your meds enough for 3 months. And some pharmacudicals have their own programs and will help you with oyour pain meds.

About the doctor find one who will accept payments and make sure that you set up an agreement that says you will pay a certian amount each month on the same date. And then make sure that you pay them the amount agreed on and when they are due.
    My MOm worked for a doctor for 26 years and they had patients who paid 20% of the bill each month and paid it on the same date all the time. And they got things paid off slowly but they wre paid off still.

I don't know waht you do for work or if you work but you sound like you really are in need of some medical help with youf pain, Try to see if there is a free cliinc in your town , I don't think they will prescrbe anything narcoitc for you but they may try Ultram adn things like that. May be that would help. Juse don't give up.
    HUgs,
    Rosemarie
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Before you take prescription sleep med (which I took for many years -Ambien- nothing wrong with that) you might want to consider something that helped me. I no longer take prescription sleep med. I take 5hTP and magnesium. If that is not enough, Zanaflex helps muscles by reducing Substance P and it does make me sleepy. Ask doc for samples. They come in 2mg, 4mg and 6mg.

Good luck.

Lolalee
  13. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

I am taking a generic drug called Trazodone to help me sleep. It's only a few dollars for 30,even though I have great insurance through my husband, it shouldnt be that much more for you. Ask your Dr.

Now about Dr's, are you able to see a Rheumatologist?
    I hope so, the one I see understands my pain and other symptoms. (Aren't they all suppost to, it's there specialty...anyway)

When I know I am going out somewhere I take my multivitamin for energy, it really works.
    Even my husband takes them for a boost.
    Try it....

I like Dave Ramsey for money issues, his program helped us.

Take care of yourself !!!!!!!!!