Fibro flareup

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mld316, Jul 13, 2003.

1. mld316

mld316 New Member

Hi All,
    I am new to ths board. Been diagnosed with FM since January of this year and hve been on different meds but so far haven't been able to get this under any control whatsoever. I went on medical leave from my job in Aug. of 2002 went back in Sept. left in Nov. and never returned. I ended up resigning in April when my short term disability ran out. I am now in the process of trying to get SS diability. Anyway for about a week now my fibro has really flared and I really don't know what triggered it. My neck head and facial pain has been almost unbearable with nothing I have taken even phasing it. Also around the top of my head is tingling and numb. I have been taking Ultracet, Tylenol Arthritis, and tizanidine plus putting ice and heat on my head and neck for the pain. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My wife wants me to go to the emergency room but the last time I went all they did was give me some kind of pill that didn't even help and sent me home.
  2. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

hi sorry to here about your flare up. it is hard to tell you what to do. everyone is different. i myself try to take a hot bath and i do relaxation techniques. i also take pain meds and they dont help well take care and hope you feel better soon. kris
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

welcome to the boards, although i am sorry you also have to share in this dd with the rest of us! I have found moist heat to work well, although you might have a problem sticking your head in a hot tub, there are neck wraps that you can heat up in the microwave that are helpful. Please watch the amt of tylenol you take, ultracet has 500 mg each and arth. tylenol has 650mg each. anti inflammatories don't often help alot but certainly worth a try--try naprosyn. many of us are on stronger meds to function, but at least we can function and live a somewhat productive life on them, although i haven't worked in 8 wks now, just off and on. You may want to ask your doc to throw in some muscle relaxers also, especially if you notice alot of twitching. Good luck and welcome to our world--the most caring and knowledgeable people about this illness are right here, certainly not in the medical offices with MD after their name! laurie
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to our world! First of all, have you called the doctor or the pharmacist about that pain? It could be the combination of your meds causing it. That is the first thing I would do if I were you.

What I found to be the most helpful for FM is magnesium. Most of us that suffer from FM/CFS are deficient in this mineral. It is so important for healing the muscles while we sleep, and yet we don't know this.

That is what has helped me the most. I do not take pain meds, or antidepressents either. I have had FM for over 20 years.

Since starting magnesium 3 years ago, and a product called; ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitaminB-6), I have been sleeping very deeply, my pain, spasms, and sleep problem is pretty much under control.

I have also started drinking half my body weight in OUNCES of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt through out the day too.
    Its made a mega difference in this terrible illness for me. I am at the least 80% better than I was before taking these two supplements.

Let me know if you are interested in what I am taking, I will be glad to help you.

I would call the pharmacist for that head pain, it could be a sinus attack , but it also could be your meds.......

Again, welcome to the board, and I do hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

5. mld316

mld316 New Member

Well the meds could be making it worse but I wasn't taking most of these before I had the flareup. What I do take on a regular basis is Lexapro and recently switched from Amitriptyline to Imipramine to help me sleep. I also take Levoxyl for hypothyroidism.
    Mike
  6. suz41

suz41 New Member

Welcome aboard sorry to hear you are in such a bad flare, I think everyone here understands the pain of a flare. I was diagnosed late last year am pretty new to the board too. however, it has been very helpful for me. Gave me places to research and support for difficult times. You didn't mention supplememnts in your post. Have you tried adding Magnesium and Malic acid to your diet plus a good B complex vitamin. Many people with FM have difficulty with adequate levels of nutrients in their system, I know that since I added the B complex amd in paticular magnesium and malic acid my flares are not as bad and do not last as long. Check with your doctor about this. Hope you feel better soon, keep us posted. LOL Look in the library on this site about malic acid and magnesium there are several articles and abstracts.

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]