Fibro fog and driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SomewhereInIdaho, May 20, 2003.

1. SomewhereInIdaho

SomewhereInIdaho New Member

HI.
    I would like to know if anyone else with fibro has trouble driving?? I have found with this last flare that I'am in that I can't concentrate enough to drive and then I get panicky because I think I'am going to wreck. I have had fibro for 10 years and have never had this problem! I feel like I'am disconnected from my body somehow....like I'am going through the motions but not really in charge of things???
    Thankyou for your help.
    Jodi
    PS could you please explain what your fibrofog feels like?? I'am really scared.
    Thankyou again
  2. Myth

Myth New Member

If anyone realized just how much trouble I have driving they would take my licience away (we'll just keep that between the two of us). I have troubles driving at night because of poor night vision and halos around signs. I also have imapaired depth perception- which can be a bit scary when you misjudge something. Mostly though it is fibro fog probelems and an inability for my brain to tell my hands what to do. For instance I See a stop sign, but for some reason do not stop. Or sometimes I blank out and do not pay attention. Mostly though for a brief moment my brain fails to recognize normal signs of the road. It has led to some close calls let me tell you. That seeing but not stopping at that stop sign for instance nearly had me collide with a truck. So I try not to drive at night and I also try to drive with someone else so that they can yell 'Stop!' or 'You can't turn on that light!' or whatever to prevent me from doing something stupid.
  3. dd

dd New Member

I very rarely drive anywhere anymore. I get panic attacks so bad because I just cannot concentrate on the road. I get sensory overload and my mind just races and I get so dizzy from the cars passing. Driving at night is the worst though because of the halo effect on any lights. I get very disoriented from that.

Fibro fog is feeling like your head is stuffed with cotton balls all the time.

Peace,

Debbie
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I hope to be in Lewiston & up near Orofino sometime this summer. I also have trouble driving, but mainly forgetting where I am going. I am always careful to only drive at times that I feel competent. I was a professional driver for most of my life, so my reflexes are quicker than most and my reactions are automatic. When I believe that I have become a danger, I will quit driving entirely.
    Kathryn
  5. jka

jka New Member

i have a really hard time concentraing on the road sometimes.i find my mind wondering.i try not to drive unless i have to when i get that bad.driving at night is even worse. my night vision stinks.

kathy c
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2003]
  6. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I get that disconnected feeling off and on the road. It is very hard to explain , sorry you have it but glad someone else knows what I mean.
    I only have trouble on the expressways. When I go around a sharp curve I sometimes feel like the caR is airborn (weird I know)
    I have to drive the expressway to work everyday and it is scary.
    The main thing I do is not allow people who want to speed make me go faster. I go close to the limit and no higher, that helps me feel more in control.
    I had trouble with this at another time and needed a new eyeglass presciption. You might want to have your eyes checked.
    Good luck
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I used to drive everywhere...loved cars, loved to drive, I restored old VW's in my 20's...used to make long trips to car shows, just take long drives for the heck of it, etc. Makes me feel a bit better to hear that others are having the same problems that I am. I also sometimes get dizzy from the cars passing, I'm nearsighted so have blamed the trouble seeing at night and halo effects on that. I find the biggest problem is judging distance anymore at the intersections and I'm very overly cautious because of it, it's weird to drive anymore, like I'm on auto-pilot or something.

The car has been emissions exempt for the last 4 years, they ask me at the garage if I ever even drive the dang thing...actually I very seldom do anymore. Hubby does the driving. This is probably the thing that I miss most since I started to really feel bad.
  8. bakron

bakron New Member

What it's like for me:

1. I feel similar to what you are feeling when I have "fibro fog" . . kind of disconnected, not really there or here.
    2. Difficulty remembering things like meetings, planned events, things I need to do, etc. I have to make extensive lists and notes to myself on these days.
    3. Send FAX messages to the wrong place, and have to resend.
    4. A new one today . . I sent an e-mail to the wrong list of people telling everyone about the rodent smell in our office!

I hate fibro fog! I've worried about it and thought things like, "am I getting Alzheimer’s?" I try to not drive distances on my days that are really bad.
  9. pearls

pearls New Member

Fibrofog can really cause havoc if you are driving with it. I have to drive quite a long way for my ART treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome since there is only one person around here doing it for about 300 miles. Luckily, I only have to drive about 50. Still, if you have these kinds of problems, it might be like a normal person driving at night for hours.

Please be careful. Think of what would be thought of you if you were drunk and an accident caused by you killed someone. Having others do the driving while you're at the wheel is really not an option. YOU must be in control! By the time that other person yells, "Stop!" you can be clear through the intersection. Also, it is simply NOT the other person's responsibility.

On the other hand, people who are somewhat sleepy drive all the time. I don't think one can simply say that if you have fibrofog you must not drive. It depends on how bad off you are - just as driving when you are sleepy depends on the same thing. In a perfect world, nobody would drive if they were the least bit sleepy. But this is not a perfect world, and most drivers do not drive like the best professional drivers at all times.

Since I still consider myself competent enough to drive, though not at my best, I do the following to boost myself:

1) Allow enough time to get there so I won't have to go faster than I should (though I do not believe one should go too slow, either, since that can cause accidents when people come up suddenly behind you expecting you to be going faster).

2) Take or drink some kind of stimulant (I use a bottle of cold coffee to use as neded, though I usually avoid caffeine. One good thing about avoidance is that the caffeine works better when I really need it.) These are the days when I'm sure to take my Provigil, as well.

3) Keep my mind on what I'm doing. Driving tires me more than it used to, so I don't do as much of it nowadays. When I do drive, I've found that I absolutely must concentrate on what I am doing much more than ever before.

4) I hardly ever drive at night anymore because of the glare and increased feeling of detachment, etc. When I do drive, it is only in emergencies and for short distances.

Please be careful. It is a jungle [oops, "road"] out there. You know, on second thought, it might be safer in the jungle...

-Pearl
  10. robbiebaby

robbiebaby New Member

I find driving can be very challenging. During my last flare I did not drive at all, but now I am driving again and only feel comfortable driving near my home, "in familiar territory", and avoid driving at night which I find very disorienting and I also get the 'halos' around the lights because of my near-sightedness ( a normal occurance for near-sighted people.
    The'fog' can feel like something has stuffed cotton in and around my brain. I feel mentally challenged and find making any decisions, especially financial ones, almost impossible.

However, I am also clinically depressed with good and bad days. I described MY symptoms to my therapist, i.e. about feeling "disconnected from my body" and she immediately labelled it 'depersonalization'.

So, is the disconnectedness from the fibro or depression? I'm trying to figure it out.

Roberta
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I don't even remember getting there & I don't drink!! It's scary. dolsgirl
  12. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

...and I used to drive a lot - I would just take myself off for the day - but I don't do that now (I'd be too tired to do anything when I got 'there' anyway LOL).

In the early days of this DD, I had a few weird experiences while driving.
    Once, I was driving near to home, a place I had driven through a thousand times, and I looked at it - and didn't recognise it AT ALL. It was really scary - especially as it kinda 'faded back in' that of course I knew it....

I also had a few incidences of suddenly seeing a vehicle that 'just hadn't been there' seconds before - although of course it must have been.

I can relate to the person who said they see a stop sign and just keep going - I have had that too - like the brain doesn't connect? I have that sensation a lot, especially when I first wake up in the morning...my brain is saying to my body 'come on, time to get up' and there is NO response, like brain and body are completely seperate.

Night driving is a no-no - judging peoples' speed and distance is a joke.

Oh and the other thing I have noticed lately is when I am waiting to pull out of side road onto a main road, it can take me forever - because I will look at the traffic coming one way and by the time I have checked the other side, I have forgotten what the first side was doing..............

So I just stick to the school run and take it nice and easy.

hugs
    Mary x

13. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I actually have forgotten where I am for a few seconds. It's alarming, especially, since my mother-in-law died of Alzheimer's. Thanks to this board, I have realized that this is all part of the fm thing.
  14. Takesha

Takesha New Member

This fibro fog is new to me, have only had in maybe 3 weeks. I had my first class this school term on Monday and I was "out of it" to start with. I almost rear ended a truck stopped at a light. I saw the brake lights, but by the time my brain told my foot to step on the brake, I was almost on top of the truck. It scared me to death! I am dropping out of school now, and don't plan to drive until I can learn how to deal with the fog. I am to afraid of hurting someone.

Takesha

[ advertisement ]