Fibro Fog Findings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Feb 20, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Fibro Fog Findings

A study published in the January issue of the Journal of Rheumatology finds that “fibrofog” is a verifiable problem for people with FM.

According to the study, from Rush Medical College in Chicago, FM patients lost information at a 58 percent rate following a distraction of just nine seconds—a disproportionate loss compared to control groups.

“The findings validate the perception of failing memory in patients with FM and are the first psychometric based evidence to our knowledge of short-term memory problems in FM linked to interference from a source of distraction,” researchers concluded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If interested in reading, here is the actual study:

Distraction as a Key Determinant of Impaired Memory in Patients with Fibromyalgia

FRANK LEAVITT and ROBERT S. KATZ

ABSTRACT.

Objective. Patients with fibromyalgia (FM) frequently complain of poor memory, severe enough to affect job performance and to lead to disability. Yet common practices in neurocognitive examinations often fail to document cognitive abnormalities that match the severity of their memory complaints. Often, neuropsychologists gauge memory competence with measures free of distraction and produce high rates of normality on neurocognitive examination. We hypothesized that neurocognitive tests encoded with a source of stimulus competition that interferes with the processing and/or absorption of information would be better than others in gauging FM memory competence.

Methods. Thirty-five patients with FM and 35 controls, matched for age and sex, and presenting with complaints of memory loss, completed cognitive measures with and without stimulus competition.

Results. Eleven (31.4%) patients with FM showed impairment on at least one measure of memory encoded free of stimulus competition. By comparison, 30 (85.7%) showed impairment on at least one measure encoded with a source of stimulus competition. The Auditory Consonant Trigram detected impairment in 29 (82.6%) cases, and was by far the most sensitive measure. FM patients lost information at a 58% rate following a 9 second distraction. This loss was disproportionate to the loss shown by both age matched controls with memory problems (40%) and to normative values (20%) based on individuals free of memory problems.

Conclusion. The findings validate the perception of failing memory in patients with FM and are the first psychometric based evidence to our knowledge of short-term memory problems in FM linked to interference from a source of distraction. Adding a source of distraction caused the majority of FM patients to retain new information poorly, and may be integral to an understanding of FM memory problems. Much needs to be learned about why new information is disproportionately lost by FM populations when a source of distraction enters the experiential field. (J Rheumatol 2006;33:127-32)

---------
    From the Department of Psychology and Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, USA.

F. Leavitt, PhD, Department of Psychology; R.S. Katz, MD,

Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine.
    Distraction as a Key Determinant of Impaired Memory in Patients with Fibromyalgia
  2. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

When I try to tell friends about my poor memory and fibro fog, they roll their eyes and say things like, "This happens to everyone as they age". Well, I'm under 40, and I think I'm too yound to forget things like my middle name, my dot's date of birth, and the song played at my own wedding! lol.

cakeart
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Janet,
    I was busy tonight writing all the names and numbers down so much for American Idol that I feel I sort of missed the show, if you know what I mean.

I don't think I'm going to write everyone's name and number down tomorrow night and see if I can enjoy the show more.

Sounds like my life revolves around AI, doesn't it? lol rofl

I do have a very bad memory for names. I have a good memory for faces, but not putting a name with a face that much.

Thanks for posting all of these articles, Janet. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yep, I'm fogged in here for sure. Thanks for the post!
    H
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jlh:
    A very interesting study and validity for those of us with fibro fog. Thank you for posting this.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Had no Idea that my memory retention problem was due to FM!!! I always wonder why I can't due two things at once!!! I have been distracted from writing this post 5 different times!!! I forgot I was even writing it!!! I turned back to the computer, and was surprised to find I was responding to a post!!! I hope I can remember to...I forgot what I was supposed to remember!!! I at least have my sense of humor!!!
  7. atpeace

atpeace New Member

QUOTE by Sues1: "Well sometimes when I forget I know it is a normal forgetfulness........other times I know it is the Fibro Fog...I can really tell the difference, yet it is hard to explain. I do get pressure in my head and a feeling of suffocation like when I really try to remember ......a funny feeling. It is not like that with "normal" forgetting."

I know exactly what you're talking about! It really IS a different feeling from "normal" forgetting.

For me, the fog issue is the scariest part of this DD. There's always that thought that maybe my cognitive impairment will get worse and worse until I can't function in the big, bad world. We have drugs and rest for the pain and fatigue, but when your mind goes......

Boy, that sure is pessimistic of me! Sorry about that. Just ignore me....I'm tired and cranky today ;)

Lori

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  8. krayon

krayon New Member

I'm emailing this to my husband !!!

We had a blow up about this just last night....I forgot

to do something for him and he came unglued...it was ugly.

Thanks

~ *Karen* ~
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Karen,

I guess you read this just at the right time!!!!

My husband can't believe that I forget as much as I do!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  10. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

I have just copied your post and e-mailed it to a colleague who fails to recognise the symptoms of my illness.

Colleagues usually attribute the forgetfulness to "multitasking due to our modern lifestyle."
  11. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

as for me I think I've forgotten everything. Like the worst mental block. If someone asks me something I can't think clear enough to answer,
    I can be watching TV and change channels and not remember one second later what channel I was on. I have to make notes. and hope I can find the note. hehe
    It is awful, a friend of mine has fibro too, she tells me how bad she's gotten with the fog. We both feel like dummys.
    Its bad enough being sick but looseing your train of thought is an added bonus .
    I do realize tho that pain does this to you, its hard to concentrate when you don't feel well.
    Kinda like having the flu all of the time.