Fibro-Friendly Mouse For My PC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was up in Atlanta, the kids had a Logitec mouse with a small roller ball on the left side for the thumb. I fell in love with it as it reduced all the wrist action required of regular mice. I couldn't find one like it, but I did find a Microsoft mouse with a thumb ball and two little extra buttons outside the two regular ones. These extra buttons will page back or forward without having to go up to the arrows in the corner. It also has a scroll wheel in the center. It is a little larger than a normal mouse, but it's sooooooo much easier to use and requires much less work.

A couple of nice surprises: One, I hooked it up and it worked immediately without having to install the driver; and two, my computer is working faster. The old mouse must have slowed it down.

I got a laptop on sale with a rebate and I bought the wi-fi card for it and the router for my PC. This means I will be able to work anywhere in my condo, even in bed, without hooking up to the DSL cable. This should help keep me from getting stiff and sore from sitting at the PC. I believe the signal will even reach to the pool. I heard about this from Jo Ellen over on the Chit Chat Forum.

I decided to do all my computing today before trying to install all this stuff as I'm very technically challenged. I either need to attend summer camp for remedial tech stuff or start dating a computer nerd. Nah, I'll just wade through it myself.

Just thought this might help others who have pain associated with using their computers. The mouse was $29.99 and the wi-fi card was $69.99. The router was $99.99, and I bought it all at Circuit City. Best Buy was basically the same.

Love, Mikie
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have a wireless mouse that takes a battery and has a roller down the middle. I absolutely love it. Glad you found one you like.
    Klutzo
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

made by microsoft, it's called the Trackball Explorer. It's hand shaped and has a very large ball at the centre of the top. I use my middle and third fingers for this since thumb and forefinger have got so bad. It stays in one place which helps because my arm muscles object to the usual mouse movements.

For my digital imaging I use a graphics tablet with a pen that's ergonomically shaped. When working on my images I switch from one to another and that increases the amount of time I can spend on the computer.

Cheers

Tansy
  4. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I've used one of these for over 2 years now, and recently bought a spare on Ebay because Logitech no longer makes this same style...and God forbid it should conk out on me.

My wrist and hands used to kill me before buying one of these (I do alot of photo editing and drawing)! I do some computer work for friends and dread using a regular mouse anymore (ouch, pain). Mine is the old style trackball, wide and fat, sloped to support your wrist, red trackball on the left that you move with your thumb, and a red scroll wheel in the middle, hooks to PS2 port. I must not be the only one that prefers them, because they are pretty scarce, an used on Ebay they still sell for over $30.00. Takes awhile to get used to, but when you do your hooked.

I may build a new computer in time, or get a new monitor or keyboard...but I will never part with this mouse. LOL

Danny

5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have the logitech marble trackball, too. They don't
    make them anymore???

My neighbor bought a similar one but hers had
    the marble ball in the center. I hate it. Mine
    has the ball at the side where the thumb is.
    I couldn't live without it and it is attached
    to my Apple Powerbook, which I also can
    live without. I bought mine brand new on
    Ebay for about 30. Maybe I should look for another
    one.

Anyone trie graphic tablets? I almost was wondering
    if that would be easier on me than a trackball.
    I never could work a mouse! LOL

Lynn

PS My brother calls me a computer nerd
    Mikkie!!!
  6. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Sorry, they do make one similar...Trackman Cordless. They just changed the curve a bit (more slope by the thumb)...and I'm fussy, so I haven't tried the newer style yet. Besides...I hate changing batteries.

I hate those ones with the trackball in the center too! Yuck... they're a pain!

Graphics tablet is the next "toy" on my list....LOL

Danny

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2003]
  7. kgg

kgg New Member

Don't know all the technical jargon, but I use a wireless laptop and found out it needs to be made secure. It can be hacked into right outside your house. They can get into the system very easily. Please ask someone computer savvy. Hate to see you have a problem.
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm one of those nerds and now have arthritis in index finger and thumb from ten years of mouse work. I finally found what works for me...the touchpad. I have laptop with one and love it...it takes time to get used to how sensitive it is but what I love is I can use either left or right fingers to guild cursor on the touchpad or click. When shopping for a laptop with one you need to test out the clickers below the touchpad to make sure they are not real hard to click - mine are not which also helps a lot.

The other thing a recommend for anyone doing a lot of typing is voice recognition - I have MS XP version that has it built in & use it for e-mails...can even use it on here! I love it!!
  9. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I am SURE that I am probably just as fussy as
    you are! LOL

I was all set to get a graphic tablet and then
    wasn't sure. They are not in stores to try out.
    I suppose I can try a pen and pad for simulation
    purposes! LOL

When my brother found out I wanted to buy
    a graphic tablet, he said he would love to
    buy it for me and to let him know! So sweet.

Lynn
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You will probably also love the Microsoft mouse even though it's bigger. Your hand isn't arched as high and it feels more natural. The page back and page forward buttons save soooooo much time and effort. I paid $29.99 at Circuit City for it.

Kgg, I am aware that anyone within the signal range of my laptop can "listen in" on whatever I am doing and could actually use my signal if they have a wi-fi card. The laptop has a firewall, so I'm not sure whether that will keep out hackers, but I do know that the connection isn't secure from lurkers. I need to find out for sure. I believe that one can have the signal encrypted so that others cannot do this. I don't know what this entails.

When the screen tells you that a signal is detected, it asks you if you want to sign on to it even though it is not a secure connection.

I am going to experiment with the channels today to try to find one which is pretty much limited to my condo area. Right now, the signal isn't even reaching my bedroom. I may have to put the router on top of the computer armoire, but messing with weaving all the cords and connections through the back of the armoire is a real pain. On the upside, when I don't want the computer showing, I can just shut the doors and it's a pretty piece of furniture.

Love, Mikie

11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I live in an apple world at my house, but we have had the "airport" system for a couple of years now & sure is great! You can get on the internet up to about 200 ft from the house, I believe, on your laptop. It is very nice to not be restricted to places you have to plug into.

Have fun with all your new stuff!!

Hugs,
    pam
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Lynn

If your brother is offering you a graphics tablet for graphics work go for it. Mine is an Intuos 2, it has a chunky pen on which there is a natural-holding shaped section (hope this makes sense, you know how it is for us pulling up the right words). I don't need to actually grip it it just fits between my thumb and fingers. I don't use the "mouse buttons".

Learning to use it was a nightmare; my coordination's really bad and my sensory nerves very badly affected, no positional perception, so watching the screen instead of the pen, made it very difficult.

I persevered and love it now. Still have problems drawing selections, can only keep it under some kind of control for betweeen 2 & 5 seconds so I take a long long time to achieve what I want - end using the clone stamp a lot.

Anyway learning to use this, and the darkroom alternatives in imaging software, allowed me to put work together for display. Despite the odds seeming to be against this I did get there in the end, just took hell of a lot of time and "self talk".

Hope I've inspired you to try one out.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]
  13. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

The intuos was the one I was looking at.
    However, I wanted it for a trackball replacement, not for drawing. I didn't know if I would like that or not.
    I know it would be nice for photoshop for playing
    around with pics, etc.

Now don't laugh at me, please. During the time
    that I was very interested in the graphic tablet,
    I was hooked on grafitti. It's a game like win,
    lose or draw on Yahoo! LOL I had a hard time
    drawing with my trackball!

Really, though, I was wondering if I could replace
    the trackball. My laptop has a trackpad which
    I don't like. My fingers get too sore and shaky
    to use that.

From what I have read, it looks like it is hard
    to figure out where to place the pen on the
    tablet that corresponds with the computer screen.
    The pen looked like it might be comfyish.
    All my pens either have a cushion grip or else
    it's a wide pen.

Thanks for your input (pun intended)!

Lynn
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Lynn.

You set how much of the screen you want the pen to cover in the software driver. Mine's always set for the whole screen because I zoom right into the area I'm working on. This means you can use it just like a mouse. For the basic click you just tap the tablet, the level of sensitivity for this and the pen generally can also be set in the driver software. An additional mouse to use on the tablet is provided but I use my trackball explorer instead.

Wacom who make Intuos produce various tablet sizes. Mine's A5 but I need to rest my hand when controlling anything and I find it's too big an area for me. The A6 is smaller and cheaper.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2003]
  15. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I am so there with the mouse!! As soon as I get extra money that I don't have to spend on license plates or supplements!!

Thanks so much for the info!

Love, Debbie