fibro getting around in the winter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i live in the chicago area with of course snow in the winter.

i'm using a cane and walker right now and often drag my leg due to pain and weakness.

i cannot imagine what it will be like for me in the winter with snow on the ground. its been a challenge trying to chase my 2 kids 3 & 5 while using my cane and walker, but add snow to the mix....gosh!

anyone else living in snow winter climates? how do you get around? any helpful tips and suggestions...other than moving that is. :)
  2. darude

darude New Member

Well we have lots of snow and ice. When it snows I CAN"T
    get around. My legs don't like the slippery surface and I keep falling sooooooooooo have to stay in. Sucks but I don't want to fall and do MORE damage.
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Andrea

I live in Ontario Canada, so we have lots of snow and ice too. I live in the country and feel really isolated in the winter.

I am still able to walk without aids yet but am really afraid of falling. So I don't get out much in the winter.

I have thought of moving but I don't like the heat either!
    My thermostat is broken!

I am glad my kids are both grown up now. I spent most of my winters in a hockey arena when they were younger. My son still plays hockey but I rarely go. A trip to the icy rink puts me in a flare for days!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  4. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

I live in cold Michigan. I will go out only for church, drs appts and mostly the grocery store. I hurt alot more in the winter, I try to stay warm as I can when I go out and inside. I have to realy watch my weight..thats when I am less active. My legs areen't so strong when I climb up and down the stairs with the full laundry baskets i almost loose my balance, legs will give out or i fall.
  5. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

which power chair do you have?
  6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am not looking for ward to winter time as I live in Cache County in Utah. We tend to be about 10 to 15 dergree's colder than Salt Lake City it during the winter. My youngest lives in Odgen and it is about a hours drive away from me and we still are about any where from 7 - 10 degree's colder here than there.

So as we call it Logan is the deep freeze of Utah. The county that I live in is a big one and it gets really cold as well. So I really don't get out much as it gets to cold and icey and ickey as some people don'e take care of the sidewalks infront of their houses so it makes my walking hard to do.

But the cold is much worst on me than the heat if as once I am cold I am cold and it takes alot to get me warmed up again. And the cold makes me hurt worse . So I guess that i will be spending more time in my house during the winter as I just don't want to get cold.

We have one of the weather monitering stations in the high mountians, it is called Peter Sinks. And at this weather station it can and does usually get to 40 below zero and sometimes much colder. I remember when it was 53 degress's below zero and that is really cold. So it is a good thing that it is way up in the mountians and i am in the vally and while we do get below zero as well it is not as extreme.

So to all of us who have cold winters , get a warm fleese blanket and put it in the dryer for about 20 minutes and then pull it out and wrap up in it and you will stay warmer and don't for get the socks as well that does help me alot. AS for me if my feet are cold I am cold all over so I try to keep the tootsies warm and toasty.
    Thanks, and hugs
    Rosemarie
  7. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Why do you think animals up here in Maine hibernate for the winter??Must be they have DD too!............lol... better to laugh rather than cry.

Like a squirrel I stash for the winter months. Wool socks?? Check,..Extra blankies? ...Check. You know the drill. During the worst of it I do my shopping thru a cell phone Hubby is carrying on him. I guide him thru most stores and can tell him precisely when to put out his hands and how high.That phone is my lifeline to help when my companion dog can't do what I need done. Around once a month I have to layer on tons of clothing,get into my preheated van and Hubby drives me to doctors appointments. Needing medical testing gets me two outtings. Church is a summer event.Thank God I have a fantastic,loving mate who supports me when needed and also my other family and friends who pitch in. Growing winter hair like a teddy bear and laying on extra poundage is all part of going into hibernation mode too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!