Fibro grouped w/Psychiatric illness!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LinnFam, Jul 14, 2003.

1. LinnFam

LinnFam New Member

Man, was I stunned when I read an article on MSN news titled Costing an Arm & a Leg.
    It states that, "Anyone with a rudimentary familiarity with the history of psychiatry cannot help but be struck by the way that mental disorders come and go. Conditions like social anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, gender identity disorder, multiple personality disorder, anorexia, and chronic fatigue syndrome were once seen as rare or nonexistent, then suddenly they ballooned in popularity. "

Such ignorance...
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

No wonder my doctors think a psychiatrist is a very good idea....

But, I notice no mention of FM above, only C.F.S. so maybe you are safe from FM being linked with the psychiatric illnesses.

Won't someone give us a break?? Energy is not being properly distributed in our body. How bout they find out why??!!!!!! rather than dismissing it as a pyschiatric illness.

I mean, please help us! why dont' they?!!
  3. Kurt

Kurt New Member

There is some truth to what the article said but FM and CFS are both a little more complicated than a simple psychiatric illness. There is no doubt that FM and CFS have been triggered by anxiety or stress in some people. there is a lot more to these disorders than mental health.

Kurt
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

I think just like coming to terms with the controversy of HRT if enough of us present with these same symptoms, they will have to fund it. Drug companies are out to make money and we're tired and in pain. Look how far antidepressants have come in the last 20 years! They can call it whatever they want and link it to mental disorders because they're finally REALIZING through CLINICAL RESEARCH that many mental disorders are actually physiological problems of the brain.

I think our best ammunition is to be educated and informed when we go to the doctors. It's tough when we feel so weak and tired so maybe having an advocate (who is informed) with us might help.

Also, keep in mind that MSN news sensationalizes, misquotes, and is not very reliable. It's like listening to Dear Abby for marital advice.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mental conditions don't come and go. Like everything else in medicine, conditions are identified as we learn more about them. Because so many of these conditions involve the central nervous system, they are mistakenly identified as psychological illnesses as opposed to neurological problems which better identifies them.

Love, Mikie
  6. suz41

suz41 New Member

Whoever wrote that article is completely Ignorant of the facts, if this was a TRU psychiatric disorder guess what folks according to the APA it is in The Diagnositic Statistical Manual for Psychiatiric disorders.(NOT) Therefore one cannot justify this disorder as psychiatric not even under Factitious or Hypochondrical because the pain is real and the symptoms fit a medical-biological criteria. I really hate it when people confuse these to areas because that is why so many people do not get appropriate help. Atherapist or psychiatrist may certainly be able to help a person with situationl depression or coping skills for chronic pain (if trained in that area). However, overall the majority of psychiatrists cannot effectively relieve the symptoms pain, fatigue ETc... Need I say more. I wish people would do more research before they start "labeling" people with these DDs as loons.
    Ticked off therapist and FM patient.
    Suz
  7. Hippo

Hippo New Member

They make it sound like our conditions are some sort of fad.

Hippo
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

When oh when are we in the west going to realize that our heads are connected to our bodies. Is it mental, is it physical....how about it's both! Let's stop wasting time on these chicken and egg arguments, and get on with the cure!
    Klutzo
  9. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

It's only by their inadequacy that it would be handled this way, and yes politics and therefore the manipulation of funds fuel the ignorance. I always wondered who was writing criteria for the government's definitions of certain illnesses. In home care nursing I came across frequent terms that indicated nonmedical people's involvement. One diagnosis in the code book for illnesses was "hypopotassemia". That's not even a medical term. It's "hypokalemia".
  10. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I honestly think that there is still a stigma related to the suggestion of seeing psychiatrist. A good one is wonderful to have on your team of doctors. For one thing, they can report back to your doctor, who may have reservations about you mental well-being, that you are FINE. Stick that in his/her file. They are extremely empathetic people (as long as you find a good one) and can be immensely helpful. They are great at letting you know what medications contradict other medications.

They also do not necessary to therapy. They take more of a physician's stance and see you as a whole. They are less likely to blame any disorder on a mental challenge like depression. However, after a few years of FMS/CFS it is nice to see someone who knows what they are doing and can prescribe the right meds. I have seem a psyciatrist for years and am nothing but greatful. She helped me understand the interworkings of certain specialities and the medical communities that no one else would. I agree, it is insulting when a physician implies that you are just "depressed". I have had that happen and it burned me up. Later when I found a better physician, I went to a psyciatrist on my own and found her wealth of knowledge (she treats women mostly a godsend).

I always say this is only my experience. You may disagree with me 100% and I respect that. I just wanted to share my exprerience.

Lynda B.
  11. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Glad to hear about your experience with your psychiatrist. I see a psychiatrist also as part of my overall treatment. My experience has been a bit different. I think my psychiatrist is very capable, although to date we have been unsuccessful finding meds that help me. The main reason I see her is for a kind of "damage control." In other words, when people say, oh, you're just depressed, see a psychiatrist, I tell them I AM ALREADY SEEING A PSYCHIATRIST. That at least helps with the argument that if I would just see a shrink, I would get better. I see a therapist, too, and she is able to help me cope with being ill a little bit, but the therapy certainly does not alleviate any of the physical symptoms.

Hippo