Fibro Hairloss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeel, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jeel

jeel New Member

Just wondering if anyone else w/ fibro is also suffering from hair loss?? If so, did anything stop the hair loss?
  2. bmadan

bmadan New Member

Just how much hair loss are we talking? I have always "shed" a good deal of hair, I have such a great deal of it, it's always been normal for me.

Now lately though, there seems to be a little more than before?

How much hair loss have you experienced??

Barbara
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

My hair started "shedding" in great quantities when I turned 40. The dermatologist said I had "mail patterned baldness" so I've been using Rogaine type products ever since.

That's been 16 years now! Wow! So not sure if it is fibro related, but my hair has been falling our for 16 years and I still have quite a bit left, though it's not the mane it once was.
    Mini
  4. jeel

jeel New Member

I have had extensive thyroid testing done and it seems to be functioning normally.
  5. jeel

jeel New Member

Thank you. I guess it's worth a try!
  6. jeel

jeel New Member

It's been shedding a lot for the past 2 years. I started out with thick hair and now have thin hair. I don't know how to explain how much, it differs daily. I have lost a lot over 1/2 of it and if it continuesto shed at this rate , I won't have any left!
  7. jeel

jeel New Member

I have been to my GP, a rhuematologist and a dermatologist and they have all told me they have no idea why my hair is shedding so rapidly. I wish someone could tell me. I am only 34 yrs. old...I don't want to be bald!
  8. tlayne

tlayne Member

Did they check your T3, T4, and thyroid antibodies, or just TSH? I was also loosing a ton of hair, and although TSH and T3 were normal my T4 was low. Hugs, Tam
  9. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I had an op 9 years ago and my minor fibro developed into major fibro!!!!

I had post op complications and infection and was so ill I was in bed for almost 2 years!!

One of saddest things was hair loss in a BIG way!!!!!

Before this I had thick strong hair and never had hairloss in my brush but now I need a yard brush to get rid of it lol.
    It falls on my shoulders and over the floor all day and my pillow and bed linen is always covered in hair.YUK!

Dont ask about when I wash it!!!!!!!!I am scared to massage it in case I have none left when I get out the shower!
    It was always straight and now it is ziggy zaggy(the best way to explain it)and very coarse.I have to use tons of conditioner to get the brush through it.

I am just going to try the flax seed capsules that quite a few on here have tried.
    Got myself a ton of different supplements(like all of you before me have done lol)and I am going to really try all of them to see if I can make a difference!!
    Hate the cold windy weather in case my fringe blows ..........I look like my baldy brother then lol!

Rena

[This Message was Edited on 11/12/2006]
  10. jeel

jeel New Member

Yes, I went and bought the flax seed today and will try it as well!
  11. jeel

jeel New Member

Yes, my T3 and T4 were tested as well.
  12. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

The same is happening to me.

I didn't know if it was the meds or not. But it probably is the fibro as my fingernails are also splitting and breaking.

I do eat flax with my oatmeal everyday.

For the fingernails, I'm going to try gelatin capsules.

Sue in Ontario
  13. jeel

jeel New Member

Well, I know it's not the meds for me that's making my hair fall out because I do not take any for my fibro. I tried RX meds, but didn't feel any better so I'm trying a more natural approach. I did buy the flax seeds already ground, but from what I am reading, looks like I should have bought the whole seeds.........
  14. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

stess can make your hairloss,
    Bernadette
  15. cct

cct Member

Low levels of the mineral zinc can also make your hair fall out.
  16. jeel

jeel New Member

I have been checked for every possible deficiency that could be causing this.....everything came back 100% normal. It's so frustrating to have a full thick head of hair your entire life and suddenly lose it and no one can tell you why. I still think it has something to do with the fibro, even though my Dr. doesn't.
  17. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

Hi,

I have lost alot of hair too. I thought it was the methotrexate I was on a few years back, but it could be the fibro too. I always had beautiful, smooth fingernails and now they are all ridged and some even split into layers. Very odd.

I recall a friend telling me to try a shampoo with biotin in it, or there are supplements as well. I can't remember if it worked. I can't afford that stuff now.

Good luck,
    Margaret
  18. jeel

jeel New Member

What does it mean when people reply "bump", or "bumping", or "bumped?" I've seen a few of those replies on the postings.I'm new to this....please fill me in.