Fibro help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isabo, Jan 12, 2003.

1. isabo

isabo New Member

I have been suffering from Fm for four years now since an automobile accident which at the time was minor, yeah thats what I thought.Anyway I have found the one thing that truly helps but although the insurance companys wont pay (even though in time it would save them thousands of dollars) they feel it is not nessicary. Masage Therepy I am not talking about regular massages that you would get in a fancy hotel. Theriputic massage although to costly for me and most Fibro patients I have gone in the past and started going recently in 3 weeks of 2x weekly I have cut back on half the medication I am using on a regualr basis and a 40% increase in overall wellness, energy, meds lasting longer less meds needed less painful trips to the doctor etc. But I get so angry when people ask why have I stopped you are doing so well? Unfortunatly it cost around 50$ a 1 hour visit. What makes me mad is they say well if your in that much pain you will go! REAL WORLD I am a forty yr, old mother of a teenager I cant work, ( I have worked with dogs and animals all of my life) and they find Fibro not to be a dibilitating disease so I dont get finanial assistance. And my husband is an over the road truck driver. In order to get the true benefits from theriputic massage you need to go a couple of times a week untill your mucsle inprove then you can go less often. I simply cannot afford it . It is a travesty that insurance companys do not know the affects it has on Fibro patients. I have to sum this up Only go to someone who is trained in THERIPUTIC MASSAGE you can find them through a chiropractor, if it hurts tell them it should be uncomfortable at first but pain means they are going to fast they should know, but my theripist says to speak up tell them when it hurts. The truth is at first your mucsles will be sore but after a day or so you should find yourself feeling alot better. And every visit is more relaxing I missed my appt. and the weekend was full of pain I try to go at the begging of the week and at the end to get a longer affect. I know you think it is expensive but find a chiropractor in your area that offers this he may be able to help you with the cost. Let me know your views and God Bless
    Isabo
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I have to ask if you have gone to your Doctor and spoke to them about having this be part of your recovery? If your Doctor has it in writing and is recommending this then the insurance company should have to pay for this for you. I am just wondering. have you already settled your claim with the accident? I would really recommend getting your Doctor to order this for you. Good luck and glad you found relief.
    Joannie
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Just had to share that I FINALLY made an appointment to see a massage therapist on the 20th. I have made several apt over the years but find myself cancelling them because I get afraid that it will hurt to much. The thought of someone touching me for an hour is frightening. I wonder...should I take a pain med before hand? I also have bought into the fact that I am not worthy of spending $50.00 on. What a crock of crap! I am going to spend it and enjoy every minuete of this. Sorry about my spelling guys! Where is the spell check?
  4. isabo

isabo New Member

I dident settle cause the boy who hit me dident have insurance and suing whould have been to exspensive for what Iwould have gotten and remember the symptoms came on gradually. The Dr. can talk to he is blue in the face we as FM suffers have to get together along with our Dr.s and fight for therepy that helps. Last time I went to physical therepy I was in a flare up for 2 weeks they expect you to exercise when you cannot move.And yes I do take a muscle relaxer before i go I cannot tell you to but I couldent go without taking a low dose to calm the nerves thanks for your question I am alone in this battle I have my family but only we know what kind of hell this is. Stay in touch and KEEP that appointment!! Whrer is spell check lol
    Isabo
  5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

to hear that you got such a raw deal with the whole thing. I wish that things were better for you and you were able to have some help at least with ins. cooperations. Take care okay.
    Joannie
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Isabo, welcome to the board. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Hopefully the insurance companies will start paying for treatments that do help us. If they paid for supplements that would be great too!

Just stopped to welcome you to the board.

Good luck with your treatments.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. isabo

isabo New Member

Thank you all for your response I dont feel as alone as I did. I am sorry I do not get on as much as I would like to. You are right there are many places with schools there is one in my area so that is good advivce, lets train them right,lol.Here are a few ideas from my massage therepist for someone new to getting thereputic massage. Never let them use a massaging machine on you cindy(massage therepist)
    said they cannot feel your muscle and it can cause more damage go for hands on only, you are paying for an hour of massage so (and this has happened to me) do not let them throw you on any machine to get your body warmed up or heat we all have heating devices at home we dont need to pay for them to do it .If they say you are to tight so we will just put some heat on it and leave there wrong they should be able to warm you up with there hands or tell them that you will use heat before you come so they know you want to get your moneys worth that is what a massage is for ,physical therepy is something else anyway that was afew suggestions from a proffessional everyone have a great day!
    Partner in Pain
    Isabo