Fibro -- keep moving or else!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Nov 26, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I'm in fairly nasty flair right now, (muscle & joint pain *everywhere* at once, headaches, dizziness, buzzing, tingling and blah, blah, you know what it's like). The thing is, I get the aches, pains and tingling worse while at rest. If I sit down long enough, my whole body is one long achy, buzzing cramp. If I keep moving, doing something, it doesn't seem to 'set in' as easily. Only problem is that activity exacerbates the flair, and you're supposed to rest. (The expression 'between a rock and hard place' comes to mind!) Anybody else find that they just can't not do anything cos then the whole damn thing feels worse?
    Marcus
    (now really bored of having Fibro)
    PS -- Was having a candid chat to my rheumy yesterday and he admitted that a lot of patients present to the rheumy clinic with MS-type symptoms but no diagnostic findings. He told me they're all lumped into the fibro basket and sent on their way with some advice to rest and a packet of Elavil. He was amazed when I told him that Fibro doesn't just go away with time. Maybe he'll look at this site and learn something!!
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I'm in fairly nasty flair right now, (muscle & joint pain *everywhere* at once, headaches, dizziness, buzzing, tingling and blah, blah, you know what it's like). The thing is, I get the aches, pains and tingling worse while at rest. If I sit down long enough, my whole body is one long achy, buzzing cramp. If I keep moving, doing something, it doesn't seem to 'set in' as easily. Only problem is that activity exacerbates the flair, and you're supposed to rest. (The expression 'between a rock and hard place' comes to mind!) Anybody else find that they just can't not do anything cos then the whole damn thing feels worse?
    Marcus
    (now really bored of having Fibro)
    PS -- Was having a candid chat to my rheumy yesterday and he admitted that a lot of patients present to the rheumy clinic with MS-type symptoms but no diagnostic findings. He told me they're all lumped into the fibro basket and sent on their way with some advice to rest and a packet of Elavil. He was amazed when I told him that Fibro doesn't just go away with time. Maybe he'll look at this site and learn something!!
  3. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

Its a fine line, we must do some sort of excercise but we must learn what our limits are and that is the hardest thing, at least for me, admittting that I cannot do everything at once......do something, rest, go onto something else, rest........my walking does seem to make me feel better in the head but sometimes the pain is incredible.....do what you can and dont worry about the rest. I know this is easier said than done, but its all about LIMITS.....Just from reading others posts, we are hard headed people and dont want to admit we cant do it all.....its a life changing experience. Everyone has diff limits and we just have to adjust.
    Good luck and Happy Turkey Day
    Tamara

ps...Yoga is very good to try at night, it does help with relaxation and stretching[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2002]
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

CANT STAY STILL HARDLY CAN MOVE!I ALWAYS TRY TO EXSPLIAN THAT TO THE DRS FOR SOME REASON IT JUST CONFUSE THEM
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I agree with you. I find that if I don't move, the pain is worse. I had surgery two weeks ago and the FMS pain was horrendous! Now that I can move about, I feel much better.

By the way, thse posts made me laugh - when I think of "exercise" I think of walking on the treadmill, etc. I HATE cleaning, so I don't think of that as exercise. I know it IS exercise, but I just think of it as a necessary evil (hee hee).
  6. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

If I lie down too long I almost become immobilized (paing and stiffenss). If I sit too long, I stiffen up like a board.
    You're right it's like being between the proverbial
    rock & hard place.