fibro mattress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stranded, Mar 12, 2006.

1. stranded

stranded New Member

does anyone know anything about these mattresses that are being marketed for people with fm? supposedly they are made out of some special foam that conforms to your body to take the pressure off our pressure points. just wondering if it's legit or a money-maker...
  2. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Hi there.

I got a memory foam mattress cover 2 years ago and it worked wonders for my hip pain. It's a little worn, so I should replace it, it's just not cheap.

Don't know about the mattress, though.

Take care.

M
  3. ceebird

ceebird New Member

Once when I was in a really bad flare and hadn't gotten around to doing laundry like I would like to I used a vellux blanket in place of the bottom sheet and it was SO comforting. It didn't get hot like the foam matresses can (my son uses one and he sometimes complains that it retains too much heat). The soft texture on my skin was so soothing and it had just enough give. Now I use it whenever I need to.
  4. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

mattress topper from overstock.com for $100. I would have to say the best $100 I have ever spent. It helps A LOT!!!! I don't dread going to bed anymore.
    Dawn
  5. day2day

day2day Member

It seems you posted this questions 2x so I posted this on both this post and the other one further down, hope you find it helpful.

If so I have a friend who is suffering from pinched nerves in legs from his back, he went to see a chropractor, who told him that type of mattress is what he needs.

I did a google search and found this link, not sure if it will be helpful or not for you.

http://www.memoryfoammattress.org/#The%20Origin%20of%20Memory%20Foam

hope this helps

day2
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I have a 2" memory foam mattress topper that I bought from a t.v. shopping channel - it goes over an ordinary mattress & it's brilliant for relieving pressure on joints etc. When I replace it I'll probably go for a thicker one tho'.
  7. cats3

cats3 New Member

The late Christopher Reeve used a SAT (self adjusting technology) mattress.

Clinically recognized to provide:
    Zero Pressure Points
    Ergonomic Support
    Reduced Skin Temperature
    Efficient Blood Circulation
    Deep REM Sleep

I don't have this bed but I am interested in it.

More information can be found on the web site satbed.
  8. jennyjams

jennyjams New Member

when we moved and had to buy all new furniture, we decided to splurge on a mattress and see if that helped. Turns out, in the UK at least, there's a company called Tempur that makes the mattresses and is endorsed by some arthritis organization. Because of this endorsement, it is listed as a medical treatment and if you have a physical disability that would apply, you can get the various products (mattresses, mattress toppers and pillows) without VAT (UK sales tax). So we got one of the mattresses and it's fabulous! It helps with the pressure points so much. I'm not completely pain free, but the pain is less and different (I think it's more related to the IBS issues now), and it's easier for me to fall asleep. And my husband, who doesn't have fms, says he's never slept so well. I've had it now for about 8 months and absolutely love it!

Incidentally, I stay with a friend when I have to travel and she has a mattress with a built in memory foam topper. I find the whole mattress more comfortable but the topper makes it a bit easier to turn about on. Try them both out in a shop if you can.
  9. Martyp77

Martyp77 New Member

I had used a Cuddle ewe underquilt for awhile, but like someone said, if your mattress is not helping, a topper will only help so much.

We bought a Tempurpedic and I love it!

[ advertisement ]