fibro meds and pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ginirhodes, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ginirhodes

ginirhodes New Member

Hi I'm Gini

My Doc gave me Lyrica and cymbalta and they both made my ill, like severe swelling in the body face legs it was really bad. Stomach upset diaria all day weekness Body spasms out of this world, in which I take Baclofen and it makes me sick w/ chest discomfort and pain and great fatigue. I just don't know what to do. Is there anyone who goes through this too?
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Hi Gini

If these medications are making you sick you really need to let your doctor know asap.

I'm very sensitive to meds and 2 that you named i can not take.
    Severe swelling you describe is not good.
    If your medications are causing this please talk to your doc soon.
    Medications do not work the same for all, hopefully your doc will help you
    find a medication that makes you feel better, not more sick.
    Could also be the combination of the meds, that's why you really need to see
    your doc asap.

Hugs to you
  3. tishabell

tishabell New Member

As a fiber sufferer were all VERY sensitive to meds, sups ect! Ur dr has to work with u to get to a good med routine. They seem to grab at whet the drug co. Promotes to them. I've realized over 10 years talk talk talk to ur dr don't be afraid to go back and back till u get the right meeds for u! U deserve to feel better, remember that!!!! Good luck!!!!!
  4. ginirhodes

ginirhodes New Member

Thank you for your input I will do just that.
    God bless
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's all trial and error with us. (unfortunately) What is a lifesaver for one causes horrible side effects in another. I swelled terribly on Lyrica, so that was a no-go for me. Cymbalta sent me into a SEVERE depression so off that I went as well.

I don't think Dr's are pushing those meds for any reason except that they are supposed to be helpful for Fibro patients. You've got to try them to know if they are going to work or not.

You may want to try Neurontin instead of Lyrica. Many people have better luck with that.

You're certainly not alone in your quest for finding something to make you more comfortable.
    Does your Dr. prescribe any pain medication, anything for sleep etc.?

I've been through a long list of meds trying to find something to make some sort of difference.
    I'm one that needs pain medication or I could not function at all. I honestly don't know if I could live with the pain I feel daily.
    Thankfully I have a wonderful Dr. who is willing to try whatever it takes to help me.

A good, helpful Dr. is SO important.
    There are other options, so don't give up!

6. rck

rck New Member

Lyrica caused me to swell also, cybalta cause dry mouth, nose , scalp you name it and it was dry. the other I dont know anything about I'm on zoloft now and its not any better If u figure anything out let me know, cause I'm at my wits end with all of it!! I'm rck if u want to talk.
  7. ginirhodes

ginirhodes New Member

You sound like one of the lucky ones to have found a good doctor.
    I pray I can find a better doctor soon. Thank you for shaing, it really helps. I did try Neurontin
    couldn't do that either. You know you really can't function w/out something. I 'm going to keep looking for a better doctor, I won't give up I can't.

Thank you so much.
  8. ginirhodes

ginirhodes New Member

I will certainly do that my friend.
    Thanks for sharing God Bless

9. hurtsalot 2

hurtsalot 2 New Member

I too cannot take Lyrica and Cymbalta due to some of the same reasons as you. I now use Lidoderm patches. I can cut them in smaller sizes or if I have to use the whole patch. The doctor said I can have 3 total patches on my body at a time. I can wear them for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. They have been working out really well for my pain. It is so much better than taking pills which swelled my body and made me sleepy. If you get a chance to try these patches let me know if they help you. Hopefully they will. Take care.
    hurtsalot2 ( Jen )
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Me too. Any prescription med I had been given in the past has been more trouble than the FM has been. I was diagnosed back in 2002, being that it's now 2011, the only "FM" drug they could come up with was Lyrica? This is not good. I would think in the past 9 years, they could come up with something that has less side effects, but they either just don't, can't, or are just not willing to come up with something.

So many people have posted about the side effects of Lyrica, I would not take that drug or any of the antideprssants, been there done that, ever again. Meanwhile, what do we do? Well, the doctors unfortunately don't know either and I have always said "I just don't know what else to do" just like you have. Hang in, Hugs, Chelz.
  11. MeNow

MeNow New Member

I tried most of the new ones for "fibro": Neurontin, I was like a zombie falling asleep on the keyboard. I tried it for over a month, I could not drive because of the effect, I was nauseated most of the time and it did not do a thing for pain. I tried Cymbalta, the first pill, I woke up during the night feeling like I was laying down on a BBQ. I was burning burning, feeling so bad, hubby told me that my skin was red like a lobster. So I discontinued the day after, too scare.I had tied a (Selective Serotonin/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors)or (similar to SSRIs)with the same side effect. The only tranquilizer I can use is Elavil, It's an old one, I take it at a very low dose.
    Now, I stay with what works, MSContin 180 mg daily, I have the same dosage for 5 years and function quite well. I will not try anything else because every new medication gives me a bad reaction. I can not take any ANSAID's because of stomach problems.
    I have the impression that pharma co. are using us as quinea pigs. They have to sell their pills,
  12. ginirhodes

ginirhodes New Member

I will seek to find those patches.
    Thank you
  13. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

If it still early enough in your cycle, trash the Cymbalta completely! Here's what your doctor will NOT tell you: Once you are on this medication, you CANNOT stop, unless you go through a HORRIBLE withdrawl process. You will not get better, you will get worse. You will cry and cry for no reason. You will be in twice as much pain because IT IS DESTROYING YOUR LIVER! I was on Cymbalta for four years and it is the drug from hell. When my spleen became enlarged, I asked if it could be the Cymbalta. My doctor airily dismissed it as "just my fibro acting up." The truth was, it had given me Cirrhosis, caused me to gain 70 pounds and made me suicidal. Adding lyrica was like pouring gasoline on a fire. So he sprinkled liberally with Oxycodone.

It took me 6 months to go through withdrawl, but I did it. I found that I got MUCH more relief out of Ayurvedic herbs than I EVER did on prescription painkillers. The drugs did a LOT of damage, but I can now think clearly, move around freely and do stuff that I haven't done in so very long. I bought a juice extractor and just get whatever fruits and veggies are on special, juice them all up and that's my breakfast. Then I do a little light housework or play my Wii, or go for a short walk. I take breaks, but I keep moving.

Just remember that drugs don't CURE anything! They just mask the symptoms. Treat your body well and it will treat you well. Give it what it needs - nutrition and movement! You'll feel SO MUCH better!

14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You need to remember that everyone's experience with prescription drugs is different. Just because YOU had a bad reaction to Cymbalta doesn't mean that everyone else is going to have the same thing happen to them. For some people, Cymbalta works wonders. There is nothing wrong with sharing your experience with a drug and the "potential" problems that could be encountered, however, it's another thing to outright tell people to TRASH their meds completely. If they have concerns they should first do their own research and then discuss it with their pharmacist and doctor.

You are very wrong when you say that "drugs don't CURE anything!" Some drugs DO cure problems. An example would be antibiotics for bacterial infections. Type 1 diabetics would die without insulin. Oprah Winfrey came very close to cancelling her show a few years ago until, after four years of searching, her team of doctors finally discovered that she had a thyroid problem and put her on prescription drugs.

As to only having juice for breakfast, that isn't exactly a healthy diet. You aren't getting any protein or fibre - just a big sugar hit.

>>>Treat your body well and it will treat you well.<<<

Do you even have CFS? All the good nutrition and movement in the world is not going to cure CFS. I eat well and do get movement, but it certainly hasn't done a damn thing to help my CFS. I certainly do not feel SO MUCH better. If "nutrition and movement" were the answer, most of us wouldn't be here today looking for answers. We would be out living our lives to the fullest.
  15. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Okay, Tiger, let me address your statements head on.

First of all, I do not just "have a glass of juice" for breakfast. I have a JUICE EXTRACTOR and I use ONLY organic vegetables and fresh fruit. There is no "sugar rush" as you put it, simply because I do not use ANYTHING that is processed, and I do not use sugar at all. I AM a diabetic! I was up to 6 shots a day. Now, I take nothing and my blood sugar is 99, my A1C is 4. My BP is 124/70. Fiber IS a big part of my diet. I never said juice was the ONLY thing I ever ate!

I am VERY RIGHT when I say that drugs do NOT "CURE" anything. They MASK it. They CONTROL it. But CURE? No. They do not. And if you honestly believe that the pharmaceutical companies are operating for the benefit of the PATIENT, then somebody is selling you fried ice cream. They are a BUSINESS and are out to make MONEY. Eli Lily wouldn't make money if they told you how many people DIED or got worse, would they? Or that there are lawsuits by the hundreds against them. I took Vioxx, Avandia, and Redux too. Where are THEY now? They were "wonder drugs" too. The next time a drug commercial comes on, LISTEN. Do you EVER hear the words "This wonder drug is perfectly safe, has no side effects and can be taken by everyone on the planet?" Not quite.

And, as a matter of fact, I DO have CFS. And fibromyalgia. And liver disease. And diabetes. And cervical and lumbar stenosis. And enough to depress me for life. I have been shot, stabbed, knifed, kicked, raped, beaten and left for dead. I've lost 3 children. You want to talk about illness, despair, hopelessness, pain and depression? Talk to me. Actually, no. DON'T talk to me. I made a choice and I chose to be HAPPY. Why that seems so hard for some to accept and why this makes other so upset, I am not sure. But the choice is MINE and mine alone.

Four years ago, I couldn't pick up a pencil to write my own name. I couldn't go up three steps without gasping for breath. I did everything the "doctor gods" told me to do. I took pills by the gross ton. Finally, I decided to be in control of MY life. And asked a hard question. Would my doctor even CARE if I died? Temporarily, he might feel a pang of regret. But not as much as the husband I love and the children I cherish would. He could advise me, yes. But the LIVING was something that **I** had to do. Can you physically LIVE another person's life? No, you can't. I took control. It may not be EVERYONE'S choice, but it was MY choice. Simply put, I chose life.

Yesterday, I arrived at the hangar early. I undid the tie-downs and PUSHED the little plane onto the tarmac. I helped sweep the frost from her wings, checked the oil and gas levels to make sure I had enough and did my visuals. Then I taxied and took off into a cloudless sky. I am a pilot. I am a pilot in ALASKA. Now you tell ME what worked and what didn't.
  16. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Constantly. I have a doctor appointment next Thursday and was thinking about cancelling the appointment, because really, what is the point? I will not take any meds anymore, way too many side effects, they just make me worse.

Lyrica is probably the biggest joke of them all. Since I was diagnosed in 2002, the only thing they came up with was Lyrica? A drug that has more side effects that FM itself? Doesn't make any sense. I have tried so many meds that I am in fear of losing my job because of the side effects they give me, so what is the point really.

I think what is REALLY going on here, honestly? Doctors still do not have a CLUE what FM is. If they did, they would stop throwing antidepressants in our faces all the time. These people went to medical school, and you will find more wisdom, education, and thought provoking answers right here on this site the you will with any doctor out there, even the integravtive ones.

My doctor wanted me to start taking more Vitamin D since I was low, she honestly believes my pain will get better with higher doses, well, when I called the doctors office telling them that higher doese of Vitamin D is giving me more fatigue, they brush me off becaue "that is not what the research says", well our bodies react so strangely and different than most people that once again we are not believed, or we are "over reacting" in our minds.

We all know this is bull right? The only way to get better with FM is to FINALLY find a doctor who really understands this condition, and sadly that has not happened. So sorry for you, I know how you feel, just know you are not alone on this. Hugs, Chelz.