Fibro misconception for the day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmcdelaney, Feb 24, 2007.

1. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Hi All,

My husband just switched jobs and so we have a new ins. company. We have Blue Cross now.

Anyway, I was just checking out their sight, and got part way through their explanation of Fibro...

So the laugh for the day is:
    "fibromyalgia sufferers may have a lower pain threshold than other people because of a neurochemical imbalance, which causes the brain to interpret ordinary sensations as pain"

They believe this has to do with "substance P" in our spinal fluid.

I BEG on of these "doctors"/"scientists" to live in our bodies for a day.

I have had times where I have injured myself enough that my husband will ask "how the heck did you do that?" (indicatint it's a pretty good "boo-boo") and I didn't even know it was there! Low pain tolerance...my lovely lady bump!

Joann
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Or sad, whichever way you want to look at it. I guess they have their lawyers write up their definitions. We know from Katrina that weasling out of paying claims is a big part of how inurance companies do business. Now what, do you have to prove that your "ordinary sensations" aren't really ordinary, after all, to get proper pain management paid for? Seems to me the person who wrote this is the one with the neurochemical imbalance.

karen
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I think that will be a std answer with all insurance companies.

I personally think we have a high threshold of pain to endure this day after day year after year ...
  4. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

whew, this really ticks me off for some reason! (i am not judging anyone* else's birth with the following statement, it is not a "brag", although it was a wonderful experience for me; it is just a statement)- i had childbirth, with NO medication whatsoever and* it was not* painful. no, this is not just the memory-erasing chemicals talking...i really truly did not experience it as painful.
    now, my fibromyalgia came on afterwards, so i guess that could still be true...
    oh boy, now im ticked again (just saying that!)
    i carried this 35lb kid around for years, not knowing why* i had pain, i (gladly, but it still hurt like ---) nursed this kiddo through the night and day, stuck in excruciating positions (anyone with a 'light sleeper'/small baby knows this ...move a millimeter and wake them up) ...and someone is trying to say that i have a LOW pain tolerance?!
    well, ..ha!!!
    yeah, i agree with the comment about walk a mile in our shoes...sheesh, i put up with more aches and pains than any human could. sometimes i think its a wonder i have not gone mental!
    okay, whew. i feel better. thx for letting me rant! :)
  5. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Same here!

My first born was 19" long 7 pounds 9 oz...no drugs

My 2nd was 19"...9 pounds 7 oz...NO DRUGS! Same length...ALL HEAD!!! Pain was not intolerable.

Again, I say to the doc's...low pain tolerance...my lovely lady bump(s)!!!!

Joann
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2007]
  6. vafmschick

vafmschick New Member

My rheumy described this lower threshhold for pain to me a few weeks ago and a lot of things started making sense to me.

Take my constant burning pain in my upper abdomen and stomach. Not one gastroenterologist has found any reason for it (I have been to about 15 of them). My rheumy says that people with FMS have more sensitive nerves and feel pain faster than normal folks. She says I probably have non-ulcer dyspepsia and tests will likely not show a problem.

Another example: my leg muscles go into full on pain when I exercise too much. The neurologists cannot find the cause. It seemed like my muscles were literally torn or damaged, but they have no explanation.

I do think we have a higher tolerance for pain than the average person. We feel pain all the time. The reason we feel pain all the time is that we have a lower threshold.

Basically we have a pretty raw deal.