Fibro - muscle, tissue pain or both? Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have pain - no doubt about it - BUT sometimes I feel it's the tissues before the muscle. If I pinch an inch (so to speak) the tissues hurt. This is everywhere, thighs, hips, breast, arms - everywhere.

I hurt in all the fibro tender points, but also in other areas as well. I can't find a doctor who can really diagnose if I have FM. Who is the best MD to see - ortho, neruo, rheummy or a PT?

So, does fibro affect all the tissues in the body as well as the deep muscles?
  2. ikathy

ikathy New Member

Fibro affects fascia which is the thin webbing that begins from the top of our head to our feet. Apparently it is extremely flexible and it can be easily manipulated by massage therapists.

Read a book by Ginerva Liptan called "Figuring out Fibromyalgia". She explains it well in her book.

3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Here are some online resources about fascia and myo(meaning muscle)fascia. Facia is this weblike connective structure surrounding our organs and muscles. Fibromyalgia is closely related to myofascial pain syndrome, I have been diagnosed with both.

When fascia gets tight or kinda dry-like, it gets stuck and doesn't allow our internal parts to move fluidly like they should, and can cause pain, spasm, tightness, etc. particularly involving our muscles where we can get trigger points (knotted up points) that cause referred pain (pain that is felt at a location in the body away from the actual knotted up trigger point). Trigger points mean that a muscle is sort or locked up and not as strong or flexible like it should be, which limits our range of motion, and ability to use those muscles, which wears out OTHER muscles that are carrying the weight of the ones that aren't working like they should ... and thus it can cycle.

Video of a presentation on myofascia: (kinda hard to hear but good introductory info)

Myofascial pain syndrome:

Hope those sources help! And another book I recommend:

"Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome : A Survival Manua"l by M.S., M.A. Mary Ellen Copeland, M.D. Devin Starlanyl
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

There are those of us who believe FM/MPS are really neurological conditions of the skin. I am one. There is a growing body of research showing these types of pain issues are related to trpv1 ion channels on c-fibres of skin, mastocytes, and keratinocytes in the skin. We seem to have been culturally biased into believing the problem must be deeper. The skin hypothesis also explains how one can pinch where they have pain, whether over muscle or not, and still feel the pain. People also seem to not notice that when receiving a massage etc, the therapist is acting far more on the skin than on anything else. Still, we seem to want to believe it has to be muscle or fascia, which are comparatively neurologically inert. My two cents.