Fibro no caffenine and no alcohol????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by melindami, Mar 24, 2007.

1. melindami

melindami New Member

Does anyone with fibromylagia drink alcohol or intake any caffene?

My rheumotoligist when diagnosed said I have t o give up all caffenine including chocolate.... Also I can't drink alcohol..

I'll be 33 tomorrow my husband and i are still young we like to go out and have a drink.. And vacations isn't the whole point relaxing and having a drink??

I know with the drugs I am one can't really drink is there anything out there that helps that you can get away with drinking alcohol??? I mean it's my birthday and I can't have a chocolate cake or a glass of beer, wine, or margarita.... not fair...

Let me know anyone's thoughts??

Melinda
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Melinda,

My fibro became bad around 1990. I stopped drinking alcohol around that time because it began to cause severe pain in my veins.(Insteaad of that warm feeling, I would get what felt like liquid pain going through my veins) This was due, I believe, to Fibro. My Fibro pain is gone, now, but I still get the reaction to alcohol, so I don't touch it.

As for caffeine, I drink it frequently. For a while, I really needed to drink it just to stay awake and in order for my brain to function. As I got better, I substituted green tea. However I still drink coffee (Sometimes Starbuck's - and that's strong!) , when I'm overly tired and I need to be alert. I also drink it if I have brain fog and I need to do something like balance my checkbook. I've had no adverse reactions from coffee (and I'm really sensitive to most substances).

I think it depends on the person. Some people have bad reactions. Why don't you ask your doctor why you can't drink these things. They might not affect you, or then , they might.

Good luck,
    Terry
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I do admit that I have a very small cup of coffee every once in awhile...I am a Bostonian and we must have our Dunkin Donuts!

The one thing that I am surprised that I gave up only being 26 is alcohol. When I drink...even just a few glasses of wine it seems to make my pain worse for weeks at a time (especially my RLS). It doesnt so much effect my medication although... it can be dangerous depending on what medication you take....but I dont feel that it is worth the weeks of agony. I feel like Im poisoning my body with something really aweful...so I just stay away from it.

Steph
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

orgo to a pharmacy website.If you take anything that is extended release alcohol will cause all the ingredients to release at once causing an overdose.Linda
  5. clerty

clerty New Member

Hi

I know it is hard but try and accept it he is talking the truth I had a pig out yesterday as I was so fed up I had a diet coke a coffee and chocolate and a lot of rubbish
    and I am sufferig today yes I enjoyed it but not today!!!
    Clertyx
  6. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

I have fibromyalgia and was told the same thing. I am on several medications that alcohol would react with. I recently was going on vacation and asked my physician if I could have a glass of wine. She gave me the ok for one glass of wine occassionally. I did have a glass of champagne and consumed several glasses of water with it and I was fine the next day. As for chocolate cake on your Birthday.....life is too short not to enjoy cake once in a while!

Happy Birthday!
  7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I liked to have an alcoholic beverage or two occasionally when I was younger, even though my hubby never drank at all. I just liked partying with my friends and partying at weddings, etc.

However, since I got fibro 4 years ago (I'm 56) my body just reacts to any alcohol at all! Somehow, I adjusted, and don't miss it now!

As for chocolate, I don't seem to react to it. I love chocolate kisses with almonds in the center, and will not give them up. However, I find that I don't need to eat as much chocolate as I once did. My craving has gone way down since the onset of fibro.
    Best of luck...
    Mini