Fibro NOT progressive??? oh hell yea it is!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~ Tandy here,... I've been a member since 2002 (around there)
    but hardly ever post anymore,..I just pop in now & then.
    & read,...hoping something GREAT will come along or be mentioned that really helps.
    anyhoo,... I always get updates from medical sites on new info for FM,...
    & I got one today from John Hopkins stating that although Fibro can be debilitating
    its not progressive nor life threatening. !!! makes me laugh.
    I'd LOVE to know the FM patients they used to come up with that statement!!
    For me & many others I'm in touch with its been quite the opposite!!
    Mine has progressed ALOT over the yrs.
    Just wondering,...has yours? or not.
    & if you've gotten better even a little,... tell me what your taking for this beast.
    My body feels like its aged 20 yrs over the last 10 yrs.
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

What they mean is that fibromyalgia does not damage the body. It can feel like it's killing you from the pain and fatigue, but it doesn't attack the body, and it won't kill you.

However, since FM rarely travels by itself (it usually accompanies other diseases, particularly arthritis or autoimmune conditions), those conditions CAN be progressive. And sadly, just abotu every condition gets worse with age, whether it's progressive or not. It's the natural cycle of things.

Daily magnesium (doesn't matter if you're deficient), daily vitamin D, a high protein diet, lots of mattress toppers to relieve pressure points, aloe vera for IBS, muscle relaxers/tricyclic antidepressants to help your brain & muscles rest during the night, are all things that can help fibromyalgia.

If you show signs of physical deterioration without any other known diagnosis than fibromyalgia, you may want to consider you have something else.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I would have to agree, it seems that my FM has progressed as well. I have devoloped lower back problems but I really think I can tell one from the other and even if I discount the lower back pain. I still believe my pain to be increasing, as well as the addition of new areas of pain.

Just my 2 cents,