Fibro or Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beluvdlily, May 7, 2008.

1. beluvdlily

beluvdlily New Member

In just the last few days, I've gotten to the point where I can barely get up out of a chair or off the toilet (how's that for a picture??? lol.) It is mostly my knees. I am just so stiff all over but the knees seem to be the worst problem with getting up. I literally need something to kind of push off of or pull myself up with. I'm really hoping this passes. To me it seems more like arthritis since it is joints but I do have FM.

Any opinions? I do have my first rheumatologist appt coming up but not till July! Grrrr. Seems every day I have a new symptom.

2. gws

gws New Member

I am also going through the same thing with my knees,
    my feet, elbows, shoulders,neck... but the knees are the worse, I do have osteoathritis, but it has never been this bad. I am blaming the change in the weather where I live, and hoping it goes away soon.
    I hope that you are feeling better soon!
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's impossible for us to give an opinion without knowing your particular body. You need a doctor to know whether you have actual arthritis or not.
    I'm sorry you have to wait until July to see a rheumatologist but hopefully you'll have your answer then.
    Some days my knees (my legs in general are my worst problem)are painful and weak. I do not have arthritis so it is possible that it is FM related. It may or may not be in the joints. I know it feels like it is, but if it's FM, it really isn't - it's everything surrounding the joints.
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

I could not tell if my knee pain was FM or Arthritis until I had both knee's xrayed... the pain was just unbearable! My mobility was getting very compromised.

Long story short... I was walking bone-on-bone due to arthritis! I also had trouble lifting myself from a sitting position and going to the store was sheer agony!

After seeing an orthopedic doctor and discusing my options (ie ongoing shots and pain meds) I opted for complete knee replacement on BOTH KNEES! The first was done in Sept. of 2007 and the second knee was done in Dec. of 2007.

The surgery has given me back my mobility...and while I'm still healing, the pain level is way down! The doc said to allow a good year to completely recover. My only option was a wheelchair... and I was not ready for that!! I'm now walking, driving, standing and moving with far less pain. I have my mobility back!

However, like some of the other people on this post... I am now aching really bad in every joint...shoulders, neck, elbows, hips, back, knees and feet. I think I need to get some blood work done to see what's going on.

GET YOUR KNEE'S XRAYED... THAT WAY YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!! I was going around with no cushioning in my knee's at all... I'm glad I had the surgery done even though it was a very rough thing to do. I have a wonderful husband who was there for me... and I really needed help after surgery.

5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

This seems to be common amongst us. I think mine is arthritis.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had a bout of having to use a cane to walk because of pain in my knees. It took six months to settel down and it did.

When I saw the Dr. he took xray's but said he was almost positive it was the Fibro acting up in the muscles around the knees.

Keep you spirits up. I know it does seem like something crops up every day.

All the best,

7. KimmiKat

KimmiKat New Member

I had terrible pains in my legs for about 15 years, and couldn't tell what was causing it. Eventually a doctor diagnosed Fibro. Then the pain got worse, so bad, that like CarolD I couldn't walk and had difficulty with any mobility. I too had a knee Xray and they found it was bone on bone, and I had two full knee replacements. I am recovering well, but still get leg pains, which I now identify as fibro. It is really difficult to tell, but now my knees are so much better it is clearer.
    If you think it is your knees, (osteoarthritis) get an xray. If they see the damage early enough you can have partial replacements and then in ten years or so, have full replacements, thereby expanding the length of time you can be mobile. I didn't have that luck. By the time I realised it was my knees and asked for and Xray it was too late.
    Good luck.
  8. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I had the exact same thing - it went on for a year, getting worse, and I just figured it was early athritis. Until I discussed it with a friend who asked if I was on Lipitor (which I was) as she and several others had severe knee issues while on Lipitor. So I stopped taking it, and the pain disappeared.

So, if you are on any meds or supplements, run those by your doctor as well.
  9. Springfling

Springfling New Member

I am going through the same things right now with my knees, ankles, & feet. Somedays it takes me an hour or so before I can even walk.

My Rheumatologist is currently running tests. My first x-rays came back and showed arthritis in my neck, but nowhere else.

I guess it is just Fibro. It sure seems like arthritis though. Too bad you have to wait until July to see a Rheumy.

Hopefully after tests he will be able to tell you what is going on. I seem to have trouble in different areas. For the last few weeks knees, ankles, & feet were the worst. Before that it was my neck and shoulders.

In the meantime a hot shower or bath seems to help a bit and also try to see if your family doc will maybe give you something for the pain.

Good luck and hope you are feeling better!
  10. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

For the past 3 weeks my knees and ankles have hurt so bad. They swell, ache and just hurt like H@#$. It changes from day to day, sometimes hour to hour where the pain is. Sometimes left knee in the morning and by the afternoon it can be the right knee. The ankle hurts off and on too at different times. I have an appt with the doctor next week to figure this out.
    At first I thought maybe it was sympathy pains for my husband who just had Total Knee Replacement.
  11. lromine

lromine New Member

I had a doctor treating me for 10 years for RA. Then he told me it wasnt really a true arthritis because I went into remission twice a year.

New doctor did Xray on my hands (couldnt pull up the blankets for the pain) and there is NO sign of arthritis.

Some days it feels like bursitis in my shoulder. Some times it feels like a sprained ankle or a wrenched knee.

I have fallen into the trap of blaming EVERYTHING on the fibro...LOL May not overcome it but you have to admit it is never boring.
  12. wld285

wld285 New Member

The knees are the first place to be attacked when you have Lyme. My L knee is about gone. Worth looking into.
  13. annkennedy

annkennedy New Member

Have you looked up stem cell therapy? It is really interesting - they are using this in the states instead of knee/hip replacements.
  14. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Having knee xray is a good start to determine fibro or arthritis.

I had never heard of the stem cell therapy , will have to search/read into that, thanks.

15. New Member

Why wait until July? Do you have a regular doctor? A simple blood test will tell you if you have a type of arthritis called gout. Yes, believe it or not, gout. I usually pictured gout as being an old man with a big foot. Gout can happen to both men and women. Women usually develop it after menopause. It is more common than you think. I hit menopause at 40, it happened overnight (endo says it was due to the CFS.) I am 46 now. The pain was becoming so bad, I finally told my CFS Dr. I just always chalked it up to the fibro. Test (for uric acid level) came back with gout. My Dr was surprised, "Didn't you feel pain in your joints?" I said that of course I did, but I have learned how to ignore a lot of it and simply thought it was the fibro acting up. There is a simple medication, Colchicine, which will give you relief the day you start taking it. Even though it's a script, it is pretty cheap.

So, yes - you could have both.
  16. ScottDShaw

ScottDShaw New Member

Knees are a sensitive point of my FM/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am not a doctor, but have suffered for about 7 years. Usually one needs to have a strong base medicine for pain. I have done pretty well using Methadone, 10 mgs morning and evening. This has been supplemented by some other temporary pain meds; like Hydrochodone or Tramadol and now 400 mg of Ibuprofen as much as 3 times a day. Usually not even once a day, but in times of low pressure-rain, storms, etc. might be 3 times a day. Do you live at high altitude? that can make it worse. The main thing was the depression, I tried one 60 mg pill a day for a year, but was still very depressing, once I switched to two pills a day in the morning, it changed significantly for the better. What works for you might vary due to weight. If you don't weigh that much, maybe one will do? They are very expensive relative to other medications. We definitely need to support Obama's plans for health care as the Republicans want to euthanise the poor (usually non-white), senior citizens, and children with disablities. Also, have you tried the Glucosomine/Chondritin w/SMS supplements? They also help reduce the pain. Good Luck; Scott
  17. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Fibro mostly causes pain in the tendons and ligaments that surround joints but not the actual joint itself. The Tender-point exam can be very useful in determining if what you have is FMS or not. Of course, you can have FMS and arthritis or anything else for that matter.

I've had severe FMS and I barely have any knee pain at all. However, I have major tendon pain and nerve pain and muscle pain. I'm a text-book case with all 18 points and more.

FMS also causes stomach issues, I don't know if arthritis does. Another thing to consider is Lyme Disease, especially if you have knee pain. I had no idea that meds could cause knee pain like that, that's good to know.
  18. coolma

coolma New Member

if you have swelling on the inside of the leg, it is common to get bursitis, inflammation of the bursa under the knee. causes alot of pain. definitely related to fibro. arthritis can also be present in the knee joint. I've had this for 13 years, received injections which temporarily help. In 70 degree sunny days with no humidity it's alot better...but that's a dream! swimming definitely helps. It is the only time I don't feel the pain in the legs. Good luck!
  19. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

In the past several days, I've developed major pain in my right hip, right shoulder and both my knees. Funny, my right knee is a replacement, so it can't be arthritis there. Our weather has been really poor also. I'm hoping my pain is from fibromyalgia and will go away once the sun comes out again on Sunday. I hate being a casualty of the weather, but don't want to move anywhere else.

I have a cane which I begin to use when the pain increases. It also shows my partner that I'm having a bad time. He's more sympathetic when he can see outward signs of my illness.

I've been given exercises for my knees and shoulder. But I hate doing them. Guess I need to start again so the muscles around my joints are stronger and can support my joints.
  20. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

If they are swollen and or red, it could be arthritis.

However it could also be the FM - have a doctor run a sed rate/RF on you to check out what is going on.

Love Bunchy x