Fibro or the meds making me so nervous?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Dec 29, 2005.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I really have become a very nervous person lately. I don't know what is going on with me. I can feel my nerves go from the butterflies to fully turned up side down nervousness.

Tonight I was cooking dinner, and my children were fussing with each other. I was trying to peel potatoes and I could feel the tension rising with me. I started shaking so badly I cut myself twice. I've dealt with panic attacks before but this is really frightening me. I do see a therapist and she is teaching me to calm myself down. (due to panic attacks)

My little one saw the blood and started crying and I just had to put dinner off and make her feel secure and ok.
    Inside I felt terrified because I was so out of control of myself. I was uneasy trying to comfort my three year old daughter when I was so agitated my self.

I've been getting these feelings for a few days now. Almost to the point of believing I'm going to have a nervous breakdown at some point. Any advise please?
    Angela
  2. ksc

ksc New Member

according to my rhumy, our adrinlin levels are higher then normal, which depletes the dopamine in the brain. When my adrinlin is running high- i get edgy and feel anxious. have you talked to your doc about this? maybe he could perscribe a mild anti-anxiety drug for you. You might do some research into mirapex and requip. they are both used for fibro.
    good luck-
    kathy
  3. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Thanks for your reply. I will talk to my doctor about this. I just get so nervous I can't calm myself down. It is competely getting out of control lately. Thanks again.
    Angela
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

I go through times when I'm very nervous for what seems like no reason at all.

Then I'll have times when I'm pretty calm and even feeling.

I tend to have it worse in the morning. I don't really know why that is.

I've gone through times when I'll be going to work and have to stop at a light and I'll want to jump out of my car because I can't stand the thought of sitting there.

Hope you feel better soon. Try some calcium before bed tonight. If you don't have any, drink a small glass of lowfat milk. It may help your nerves.

In my case it's the fibro because I don't use any meds for fibro at this time.

Hugs,
    Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2005]
  5. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

For me, the physical pressure at the top of my neck makes my whole body tense so that when I feel anxious thoughts or stress, my neck gets tighter amplifying the level of stress that I should naturally be feeling. If the new theory of the cause of fibromyalgia recently published is true, that the cause is a physical problem with the neck, then this could be a reasonable explanation for your anxiety. What's more, neurological drugs designed to stimulate the nervious system surely would set off more of a reaction. Just a thought.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

James
  6. sdown

sdown New Member

Ive been on a supplement called SAMe for 4 years recommended by my doctor. It helps alot. Not only does it help the nervous system its also good for pain and detoxing of the liver. Its something your body naturally produces but when your chronically ill we dont produce enough. Its available on this site. If you are on anti-depressants though ask your doc if you can take it because SAMe is good if your depressed as well. I was tested for heavy metals and went thru DMPS treatment to detox. If you test positive for mercury, aluminum, arsenic, nickel, etc. these will definitely play havoc on your nervous system. DMPS is a medication that was given to me intravenously. Then the next day I went back to the doctor's office for a vitamin bag taken also intravenously. It is very new age and advanced medicine which unfortunately isnt practiced by too many doctors. The detox helped me alot.Take care. Happy New Year!
  7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I really appreciate everyone responding. I have more support on this board than anywhere else in my life. I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow and I'll mention the solutions that you guys brought up.

Thanks again,
    Angela
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You asked "Fibro or the meds making me so nervous?". What meds are you taking? Meds can definitely give you a case of nerves. Of course, so can a 9 year old and a 3 year old hanging around while you are trying to make dinner! LOL!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

People with FMS can be sensitive to changes in barometric pressure and
    temperature. Rain beating on the windowpane may feel as if it were beating on
    the walls of your cells. The noise emitted by fluorescent lights can drive you crazy,
    and you may have to avoid overcrowded areas such as malls or cities. FMS
    sensitizes nerve endings as well as the rest of the autonomic nervous system. The
    actual ends of the nerve receptors may have changed shape, turning touch and
    other receptors into pain receptors. Pain signals then bombard your brain. Your
    brain knows pain is a danger signal — an indication that something is wrong and
    needs attention — so it mobilizes its defenses. Then, when those defenses aren’t
    used, it becomes anxious. Overstimulation is a major perpetuating factor of FMS. end of comment.

If there's too much going on around me, the TV buzzing, someone talking to me, and the kids holloring, I feel a sensory overload and feel like my nerves are about to explode. I have learned coping by turning off sounds, telling people I need a time-out, etc. Just eliminating one thing for a couple of minutes saves me from the horrible feeling.