Fibro pain and depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by italiano, Jun 4, 2009.

1. italiano

italiano New Member

Two questions for feedback. My fibro is so bad in the past year i am in so much pain every day it feels like a rollercoaster ride with it affecting my anxiety and depression. There feels like a direct link to pain and mood disorder. I find myself in total body pain, sobbing and shaking. Do others feel this way? Also, does anyone take neurontin? I read it is an antidepressent used for neuropathy and was wondering if it works.
    I am really not knowledgable about all of this so anyone who has feedback is appreciated.
    Reading articles is so exhausting and my brain does not absorb.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

When I'm in a phase of severe, unrelenting pain, it definitely affects my anxiety and/or depression!!! Absolutely no doubt about it!!! The longer the pain lasts, the worse my emotional/mental state. My sanity has actually become quite fragile at times, due to extended (weeks or months w/no relief) bouts of severe pain.

As for neurontin, I've heard of people who couldn't function w/o it, & others (myself included) who can't function BECAUSE of it.

It seems to be dependent upon our individual chemistry.

Personally, it does nothing for my pain at all, & the side effects were crippling. BUT as I said, others have the exact opposite reaction.

Sorry I can't be helpful about the neurontin question.
    But I absolutely know what you mean about pain affecting anxiety, depression, & our emotional state in general.
    It has, at times, seriously altered my entire personality.

You're not alone. I do understand.

3. jole

jole Member

Yes! As a matter of fact, I think my depression is strictly from the pain...on a rare "good" day with minimal pain, I don't feel depressed at all. My anxiety/panic attacks work the same way. To me, it's more related to the pain level than the disease process itself. May be different for others though.

As for the Neurontin, I took 1800 mg in divided doses for approximately 6 months, and couldn't tell any difference with the pain. It did help me with sleep, but left me feeling very groggy all day. I have cut it back to just 300 mg at night and get along better. As Pippi stated though, there are people on this board who have said it's been their greatest find for the pain/sleep/depression issues. Just depends on the person, as with all meds.

I hope you find what works well for you! ***Jole***
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

This is a given for me, but I did have depression for about 2 yrs before the FM hit me. I also was depressed off and on as a child and growing up, that part was genetic.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there - well I'm half Italiano so we have something in common - also the Fibro obviously.
    I think the connection with Fibro and a mood disorder is directly related to what we're going through. It's not easy to make the adjustment than the acceptance. We go through all of the stage of grieving - and they often repeat themselves.
    I found a great website that has great information about fibro - all the way down to what you should take to dr's appts.etc. I spent about an hour looking all through it. I know it can be exhausting, but maybe take it in bits and pieces. I found it very validating. There are no ads on the site which I appreciate - they're not pushing anything - just providing information.
  6. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

I think that everyone of us on this site feels the way you do, it is just one of the many symptoms that we endure with fms/cfs. Pain never goes away, when we say we have good days (very few n apart),its not saying we do not have pain, it is that the pain is less severe that day so the meds we use work better, but pain never leaves our bodys, and there are the weeks, etc. that all we can do is cry and i feel it's a good thing to do because we let some of the feelings out instead of in as so we do not get more depressed.I think also, that because we know that the future days for us will be the same, we feel worse, we do not see relief in sight and then the anger sets in because there really anything we can do if our ilness is already that bad.Some people do not have it as bad, so there are things that they can still do to help themselves, but not for us,as for neurotin, no i have not used it, but as others told you, it is depending on ones tolerance to any med. My cousin tok it and she did not do well with it but you would need to try it for yourself. I do not want to say what it did to my cousin beacause I don't want to put the idea in your head .But i hope you do what is best for yourself and we are here all together.....too bad really....
  7. italiano

italiano New Member

i did not expect anyone to respond. it was so comforting to read the posts. Thank you so much. just hearing the are not alone, i means the world. I have been so fragile i don't think i could keep going if it were not for this website.
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

This place is indeed a lifeline for many of us. To be able to communicate w people who are also living w the same dds makes it a little bit easier to make it thru the rough times. There's also a depression board here, but it doesn't get as much activity as this one does (I visit both).

There are always people here that will reply to your posts, somedays the board moves faster than others. Just be patient and don't be afraid to ask anything! We're all in the same boat in one way or another:)

Glad you're here, but sorry you're not feeling well. I'm barely dragging myself around today, time for another rest break. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Take Care........Hermit
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

Have you tried speaking to your physician concerning this? He/she may be able to help you on this matter.

Depression more often than not accompanies chronic pain. I speak with my physician regularly and take an antidepressant too, which helps me a lot. Good luck.