Fibro Pain & High Blood Pressure... Are they connected?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Willow9, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Willow9

Willow9 New Member

Does anyone else have this problem...

When I am in extreme pain my blood pressure goes up a lot. When I am having a relatively "good" day it is normal. My doctor wants to start me on blood pressure meds but I am concerned. I am already taking lyrica, oxycontin, cymbalta and various vitamins and just do not want to start on other medications. Since I am in pain more than I am not - my blood pressure is usually not good.

Is anyone on this board also on blood pressure medications? Is there a connection between blood pressure and pain? If you are on blood pressure meds, did they help?

This board is my lifeline. I have good family and friends.... but they do not understand. I missed one of my best friends mothers' funeral this month because I forgot. Tried to explain about the memory loss but she was hurt and I am not sure she believed me.

Thank you for listening.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

i do not have high blood pressure but a couple of times mine was high and the doc told me that if you are in a lot of pain your bp will be high. also stress can spike it.

you will have to decide with your doc on meds. is it high all the time?

friend maybe if you show some info on brainfog she will understand. also time.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

I would say that not fibromyalgia pain specifically but rather pain in general can cause blood pressure to raise.

I know my BP goes up when I am in pain whether it is from FMS or from a migraine or whatever. That is one of the reasons untreated pain is so hard on the body.

I refused BP meds years ago (after a discussion with doc) because it goes up if my pain is not treated.

When I am treated for my pain my BP is great and below the normal level.

Of course all of this depends on you personal health history and what you along with your physician decide.

I am sorry you are having a problem and I hope you find a solution soon.

Best of luck,

Karen :)
  4. tatortot

tatortot New Member

Yes, pain does make your BP spike! Several of my doctors have told me this including Dr. Charles Lapp last month. I did have HP before I got sick 20 years ago but after being strickened with this disease it started to run normal for years. But now that I've been sick for so long and in much more pain BP has begun to spike when I hurt. I've been taking Tenormin for many years along with alot of other drugs. What choice do we have? What kind of quality of life would we have if we didn't medicate? I am 58 years old and have missed raising 2 children as I would have wished because of the DD. Good luck, Tatortot