Fibro Pain is Real article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ll1816, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi all:

I subscribe to Ivanhoe.com which provides medical breakthroughs and articles. Got this one today:

Reported November 29, 2006
    Fibromyalgia Pain is Real!
    (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- It's one of the hardest health problems to pin down. Some say fibromyalgia is all in the heads of the men and women who go to doctors seeking answers. Now, researchers say there is overwhelming proof that the condition is real.

Researchers from the University of Michigan Health System in Ann Arbor reviewed studies involving pain, brain activity and genetics of people suffering from the condition. They report a growing body of evidence pointing to real differences in the brains and genetic makeup of people with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS).

"It is time for us to move past the rhetoric about whether these conditions are real and take these patients seriously as we endeavor to learn more about the causes and most effect treatments for these disorders," wrote University of Michigan researcher Richard E. Harris, Ph.D.

The researchers cite several studies that reported abnormalities in the central brain structures of people with fibromyalgia. Another study revealed variations in a gene involved in pain tolerance created differences in the way healthy volunteers reacted to pain. Researchers also found variations in the same gene can be linked to the future development of temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMJ, a condition related to fibromyalgia.

The researchers conclude despite some areas of debate, like how it should be defined, patients diagnosed with this disorder should be taken seriously.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, go to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.

SOURCE: Current Pain and Headache Reports, 2006;10:403-407
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Thanks for sharing the article. Any validation we can get for this syndrome makes me feel great...well you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Eileen
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Thanks for sharing that with us,i might just print that article & show it to my doctor,i'm sure he regards me as a timewaster,so anything that raises awareness of this debilitating condition must be good news.
    Here in the UK the medical profession lags behind anything which happens in the US with regards Fibro,so its good to know that at least in some quarters Fibro pain is being recognised as real.
    Thanks again,Paul.
  4. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Eileen:

I know what you mean about feeling great about the validation part. I was thrilled...you know what I mean...when I was finally diagnosed with Fibro/CFS.

Paul:

I agree that raising awareness is key to getting the help we need; not only by our doctors, but by friends and family as well. Hopefully with the awareness will come funds for research. I'm sorry to hear that your doctor doesn't take your pain seriously. I have horrible neck and back pain too!

Nancy:

Thanks for providing the research article on the COMT enzyme. I've always wondered if our illnesses weren't genetic in nature. I'll have to research more about this gene. That's the only thing that keeps me going and gives me hope. Thanks for sharing and no, you weren't butting in. I love to read anything that's out there.

Gentle hugs,
    Liz
  5. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi Nancy:

What great information from Dr. Martinez-Lavin. I wonder if other gene variants have been found yet. We can be thankful that the AFSA has awarded grant money for this research!

Thanks for the great info!

Hugs,
    Liz
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Those doctors are great, in Ann Arbor! How exciting to see a large 'teaching' hospital' letting everyone, including other doctors that our problems are very real!

I'm hoping to see a Rheum. Doctor in that area, beginning of this year. His practice is totally for Fibro patients. Yippee!

Hugs! Thanks again!

Kim
  7. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi Kim:

I hope you are able to see the rheumy in Ann Arbor and that he/she is great! I wish we had a good one here that specialized in Fibro.

Hi Georgia:

Exactly Georgia...they need to know that we are physically suffering and that it makes it worse when they belittle, don't believe or medically treat us.

Take care all and keep hope alive!

Hugs,
    Liz
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Its about time huh?!!!!

I think I'll print this out and wrap it up for my boyfriend for Christmas~ lol
    (he's a total unbeliever) well,... I think he beleives in it,... he just does'nt think it can ever be disabling.
  9. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi Tandy:

Oh, you made me laugh so hard when you said you might print it out and give it to your boyfriend for Christmas. Hey, I think it would make a great stocking stuffer!

I'd love to fill my husband's stocking (actually, my whole family's) with all the Fibro and CFIDS brochures I have, and I have a lot!

Hugs,
    Liz
  10. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hey Trish:

I agree with you. I have lots of doctor's business cards as I'm sure we all do and we could fax all this new research information to them. Do you think they'd read it? Who knows, but I'm with you...I say yay!

Hugs,
    Liz
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Glad to make you smile/chuckle :)

Your idea is even better!!!... stocking stuffers!!!

a little information never hurt
    lol