Fibro pain or Restless Leg Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Sep 21, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Question - I'm wondering whether the cramps i have in my legs that are the worst at night and make it difficult for me to fall asleep are part of my general fibro pain, or Restless Leg Syndrome. I was hearing the symptoms on tv and it does sound like me. I would more describe them as cramps sort of but i have to take a hot bath every night, stretch, rub my knees and calfs down the menthol rub, wrap them in heating pads, and then after a half an hour and my regular muscle relaxer, pain pill, sleep med combo, if they still are driving me crazy and not letting me fall asleep i have to get up again, rub them down a second time and wrap them in ace bandages to sleep. And I have to use a body pillow to keep them supported since they are uncomfortable otherwise and i'm always kicking around if i don't have it.

So what do you think? is it just the Fibro or could it be the RLS symptoms? i wanted to get some more info about it before i talked to my doctor about this specific ailment.

Has anyone been on that medicine they advertise on tv for RLS and had it help?

Thanks guys
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

It is quite common to have RLS with FMS. I have both (along with some other health problems). By your description of your symptoms, it does sound like you have RLS. I, too, have seen the commercials on RLS, but my doctor has me on Gabitril for it and it really helps. I get the creepy crawly sensation in my legs and I can't stop moving them. I really understand how it can drive you crazy and you lose a lot of sleep.

I would mention this to your doctor and see about getting you on meds for it. It has been a lifesaver for me.

Ellen
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks Ellen! I'll talk to my doctor and mention the med that you tried and see what he thinks.
  4. m5shelly

m5shelly New Member

I am on Gabitril too, and it works ok. It definitely helps me fall asleep, and I really notice the difference between when I take it, or when I am out of medication.

Gabitril is a seizure medication, so I don't know why, or how, it works. I just have a hard time waking up in the morning, or hearing the alarm, when I take it, but once I do realize it's time to get up, it's a lot easier to get out of bed (cause I have slept the whole night though), minus the pain from not taking pain meds in the middle of the night.
  5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I was a little concerned with what WebMd had on the Gabitril. It had an article released that said that some patients with no history of a seizures experienced seizures while taking this medication. Is that something either of your doctors discussed with you? i'd just be interested to know what the likelyhood of that happening would be. I'm concerned whether taking some of these meds (like Mirapex and Gabitril are the two that people have mentioned) are going to cause more harm then good, you know? I guess i better discuss options with my doctor before i make a decision.
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm not here on the weekends, so just saw your question today on the Gabitril. Yes, my doctor mentioned that it was a medication for seizures but said that in low doses it was helpful for the RLS. I've been on it for over two years and haven't had any bad side effects from it. Of course, there are other medications that help RLS, too, that your doctor may recommend.

Ellen