Fibro & sinus related? (hmmm)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Meowoink, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Meowoink

Meowoink New Member

Aug. 11, 2003 -- The causes of chronic fatigue and the bodily pain condition known as fibromyalgia remain a mystery, but intriguing early research suggests that for many sufferers the answer may be right under -- or more accurately inside -- their noses.
    The new study shows a possible link between unexplained fatigue or body pain and sinus problems. If confirmed, they may lead to better treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, a condition characterized by widespread pain for which no cause can be found, study author Alexander C. Chester, MD, tells WebMD. The Georgetown University professor of medicine and general internist says he began his research after realizing that many of his patients with sinus problems also complained of fatigue and many patients with unexplained fatigue and aches also had sinus problems.
    "Often when I treated sinus symptoms, the fatigue and body aches would disappear," Chester says. "Fatigue is a known symptom of sinusitis, but sinus problems are not generally considered in patients with unexplained fatigue and body pain."
    Chester surveyed 297 consecutive patients, age 40 or younger, undergoing general medical exams. During routine questioning, the patients were asked about fatigue, body pain, and symptoms typical of a sinus infection.
    Roughly 22% of the patients complained of unexplained chronic fatigue, 11% complained of unexplained chronic pain, and 9% said they had both. These patients, Chester found, were 10 times more likely than other patients to have symptoms associated with sinusitis.
    Sinus symptoms were more common among patients with unexplained fatigue than among those with fatigue that could be explained by mental or physical illness, suggesting that unexplained fatigue is more closely linked to sinus problems than other types of fatigue.
    Fifteen of the 65 patients with symptoms of fatigue met the diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome, and most of these patients had sinus problems. The findings are published in the Aug. 11 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.
    "We clearly need to do more research to see if sinus treatments alleviate fatigue and pain," Chester said in a news release. "This study does, however, offer hope for possible help in the future."
    Harvard Medical School otolaryngologist Neil Bhattacharyya, MD, is also researching the link between sinus problems and chronic fatigue syndrome. In a study reported early this year, he found that approximately four out of five patients with chronic sinusitis also reported suffering from severe fatigue.
    Bhattacharyya says fatigue among patients with chronic sinus problems may stem from their inability to get a good night's sleep or from medications used to treat the condition. Even those that claim to be nonsedating cause drowsiness in about half of the people who take them, he says.
    "We know that fatigue is a symptom of sinusitis, but it is wrongly considered to be a minor symptom," Bhattacharyya tells WebMD. "I believe sinus problems and fatigue are linked much more often than most people realize."
    SOURCES: Archives of Internal Medicine,
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The sinus attacks started years, like ten years after I was diagnosed with FM. I rarely took medication for the sinus, I never have taken sinus meds on a daily basis.

What I did find that helped tremendously with sinus attacks, headaches of all kinds is drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day.

After a few months of the water/salt, I rarely get a sinus attacks anymore, nor am I as allergic to plants as I used to be.

I can agree with some of this article, but not by any means did I get FM from sinus attacks, it was the other way around.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

Seems so many of us have sinus problems, I can't help but think there's some connection. Not everyone, surely, but for some......???? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Is it possible it's more connected to CF than FM?

Thanks for the info Meowoink.[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]
  4. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

last year i had an operation on my nose,i had polyps removed from my nose, could not breath for a long time. i was using at least 2 bottles of otrivin a day. a year latter i still have problems, not as bad but i am alway stuffed, and still having to use a nasal spray always. I have sinus infections too. It must have something to do with it, as we all seem to suffer with it, this is the weirdest thing i have ever heard, i am always tired and am on vitimin b 12 shots ..sharon
  5. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Thanks for putting this up. Dr. Chester has been trying to tell people for a long time that sinusitis should be looked at first. Doctors don't seem to know what chronic sinusitis is or how to treat it and patients don't know which ache or pain to complain about. So acute infections are treated and chronic ones ignored.

Chronic sinusitis causes chronic pain for me and I haven't found a good resolution. Toxins from staph infections can cause pain all over the body, but especially headaches and TMJ problems.

There needs to be a lot more discussion and research on this issue.
  6. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

Mayo Clinic has a new anti-fungal treatment for sinus infections and they say it significantly improves quality of life for the majority of people with sinus infections. (The Mayo Clinic Report was released April 30, 2003, and can be found using a seach engine.)

Olive Leaf Extract (which is anti-fungal) has given me relief from excruciating sinus headaches. Plantscaper and PatPalmer have done many posts on OLE, bless them. I've been using it about a month and it helped after a week or so. Maybe a stronger anti-fungal is needed?

I have so much brain fog (but no headache, thank goodness), I'll have to think on this some more.

7. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

I'm so sorry for all your problems and hope your son is better now. You've been through so much. I was doing the post about the fungal treatment while you were writing yours. Maybe our sinus infections are fungal related. If so, what about systemic infections and is candidias just another symptom or what.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Causal relationship? I don't think so. People with CFIDS and FMS have lots of associated problems, not just sinusitis. We also have IBS, but that doesn't mean it causes our illnesses. Because of our messed up immune systems, we are walking petri dishes.

Love, Mikie
  9. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

Wow, Mikie, you are right, we seem to be walking petri dishes. And I'm so tired (literally and figuratively) of having all these yucky things too.

The Doctor from Georgetown Univ. in the above article says that, "Often when I treated the sinus symptoms, the fatigue and body aches would disappear."

That sounds good to me. Now, I just have to figure out how to get my painful, sinus-infected, severely fatigued self to an ENT (or any doc for that matter). I'm not desperate enough to call 911, not yet anyway. :)[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]
  10. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I've had sinus problems for years and years. Longer than the FM I believe. I'm always miserable with them. I finally have an appt with a doc soon, so I think that I'll have them check it out. I took OLE for a couple months and it never really did much for my sinuses. Maybe I, too, wasn't taking enough.

[ advertisement ]