Fibro SleuthingI Need Some Input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mujuer, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Help me please. Any and all input appreciated. I live in the pac northwest where most of the year it is wet and humid and cold. I felt great this last summer and was even working. I went off of my Cymbalta because I didn't think it was helping any of my pain and I wasn't depressed. I also went off of my Trazadone which I had been on for years due to panic attacks from an assault that occured back in '94. I did great for three months. No anxiety, I was sleeping, no panic attacks, hardly any pain, blah, blah, blah and then, the weather changed. Now I don't know if it is the weather that has put me in a flare since the fall or if it was going off of the Cymbalta and Trazadone or if it was both. I thought if I could only wait until it warms up here (yea, I know, it will be awhile) and see how I do then I would just wait it out but I am wore out waiting. I hurt, I have no energy, can't sleep two nights in a row. It was hard to go off of those drugs. Lots of side effects and I don't want to go back on them if the weather is going to make me feel good but I am tired of not knowing what to do. I am on tramadol for pain and xanex for sleep. Neither do a good job. HELP!
  2. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

I just wanted to say that I live in South Mississippi and we have hot humid summers and cold wet winters and I can't tell the difference with my Fibro. I have good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I don't find the tramadol works for me either.

Laura-Nell
  3. momof471

momof471 New Member

weather makes a huge difference to me. I live in the southeast. I do great in the spring, still have pain, but its tolerable. Around mid-july when the humidity really kicks in with the heat I have a flare, then when colder weather hits it gets worse. We haven't had much of a winter until the past say four weeks, but I distinctly remember a cold, wet weekend in October, I was in bed the whole time, and I never really completely recovered from that. Weather has a HUGE effect on me. Good News is that Spring is hopefully around the corner. I just have to figure out whether or not to dump the Xanax XR the Dr. put me on.
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Can you get on some painkillers for the rough times?

It seems to help me a bit.
    Mini
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and I also started taking Requip for the RLS part of my fibro and the Requip is awesome stuff. Tramadol is slow to work and works only for 3 and a half hours for me. I hate the stuff but the dr. told me to think positive about it because there wasn't much else he could do for me.
  7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

He is wrong to say there wasn't much else he could do for you. You are in pain, and he can treat the pain. He can put you on long acting oxycodone or a duragesic fentanyl pain patch.

He is just sweeping you under the rug. You need a new doc in my opinion.

You should not have to suffer!
    Mini
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

What type of pain killers help you (when you need them)?
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am in a horrible state right now. I am in Ohio. We had tons of rain in Nov & Dec ... now we are coming out of snow, ice and brutally cold temps. I hurt sooooooo bad.

I am on my 3rd type of anti-depressant (in 3 years). Have missed so much work already this new year because I cannot function (physically or mentally).

I am going back to the DR Tues (2/20/07). Now I have a horrible sore throat (from chemical sensitivity) on top of all the rest. I decided to attempt some cleaning using "the scrubbing bubbles ... so you don't have to ..." and now I am paying for a clean bathtub.

I do not take any sleep meds or pain meds other than skellaxin (muscle relaxer) and fioricet (migraines). I think I am going to have to get some pain meds now.

I have talked to people in warm/dryer climates with FMS and they have flares too. I think it would be cool to have some statistics on location/age/sex on FMS sufferers to see if climate is a big culprit?

I was also on Cymbalta (that was #2 of 3 ... Effexor was the 1st). I think I build up an immunity to these after being on them for several months. You may be the same?

I try not to sleep during the day (that is down right difficult at times) so I will sleep at night. I toss and turn and contort in the bed (I have RLS and muscle jerks) and finally fall asleep (and have horrible nightmares or weird crazy dreams) and when I finally wake up ... I struggle to get out of the bed. I am the worst in the mornings and as the day progresses I feel slightly better but am exhausted. There is no end to this cycle.

10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Oxycondone ER
    norco
    Mini
  11. mujuer

mujuer New Member

for your replys. Mini4me, I can't take oxycoton or oxycodone as it makes me itch like poison ivy. Right now I feel like my ribs are about to explode and am waiting for the ever so slowly tramadol to kick in. I just have no energy to do anything anymore and I am wondering if being back on the cymbalta would help with that. I don't know about all of you but all of these pain med's make me horribly constipated. I had problems before but now it is worst. I suppose they have a pill for that now. Thanks for letting me rant.
  12. mujuer

mujuer New Member

13. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

If you're having mainly neuropathic pain, you might want to ask your doctor about prescribing Marinol off-label. Of course, they may not do it, but many studies in the past few years have shown that cannabinols can help with neuropathic pain, which won't respond to treatment by the opiod class.

http://www.voanews.com/english/Science/2007-02-16-voa53.cfm

This is a link to just one such recent article. Of course, this study was done for HIV patients, but similar results have been found in treating MS, and anecdotally, CFS and FM.

If you are in Canada or the UK, Savinex (another cannibinol-based medicine) has been approved for the treatment of MS and apparently works better than the single-cannabinol Marinol. But in the US, Marinol is all that is available. I finally got this for my daughter and it continues to be about the only thing that really works for her pain.