fibro symptoms. just wondering???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kita309, Nov 23, 2002.

1. kita309

kita309 New Member

just wondering about a fibro symptom. Is this part of fibro? Sometimes especially at night when I have been going hard all day. I start hurting, I can not tell you what is hurting, I just hurt. My legs get very restless and my feet feel like someone is pulling my toes backwards. I get extremely nervous when this is happening. I have four little kids all under the age of 6 and I feel so sorry for them sometimes. Because they do not understand what I am going through. I just sit and rock back and forth when i get like this. I have to get either a hydro or an ultram or some sort of nerve pill to stop it. It is terrible. I feel like I am going to go crazy before it stops. My husband tells me when I sleep I rock back in forth in the bed. I know that I drive him crazy. but I cannot help it. I usually can lay down for about an hour before I start hurting. do any of you have this kinda stuff going on. i have alot more but this is one of the things that gets me the worst. Just because it affects me around my children and I try to not let them see me get upset. you can e-mail me direct if you would like. Kita@blomand.net
  2. kita309

kita309 New Member

just wondering about a fibro symptom. Is this part of fibro? Sometimes especially at night when I have been going hard all day. I start hurting, I can not tell you what is hurting, I just hurt. My legs get very restless and my feet feel like someone is pulling my toes backwards. I get extremely nervous when this is happening. I have four little kids all under the age of 6 and I feel so sorry for them sometimes. Because they do not understand what I am going through. I just sit and rock back and forth when i get like this. I have to get either a hydro or an ultram or some sort of nerve pill to stop it. It is terrible. I feel like I am going to go crazy before it stops. My husband tells me when I sleep I rock back in forth in the bed. I know that I drive him crazy. but I cannot help it. I usually can lay down for about an hour before I start hurting. do any of you have this kinda stuff going on. i have alot more but this is one of the things that gets me the worst. Just because it affects me around my children and I try to not let them see me get upset. you can e-mail me direct if you would like. Kita@blomand.net
  3. Roxi

Roxi New Member

My advice is to grab the nerve pill and pain med the second you feel it coming on! That's what they're there for so don't feel guilty about needing them. If it's happening every night take the meds before it comes hopefully to ward it off.
    Kids are smarter than you think they are. They will understand if you tell them "Mom doesn't feel good right now. I'm gonna lie down for a bit so please come and play near me while I do". I used to have my son read me a story. He got practice reading and I got a little rest. They know when you're needing help and they love to feel like they're giving it! Let them! Hope this helps...
  4. kita309

kita309 New Member

thank you for the advice.It is very hard doing it all my self with four little ones. The youngest is just 6 months old. my husband works about 12 hours a day so I am the only one with the kids with no help at all. Plus my 5 year old girl has cystic fibrosis, 800 pills a month,tremendous appetite, she far exceeds the amount of food that I eat. so it feels like all i am doing is cooking and cleaning just to cook again, plus all the chest therapy that she has., that is one reason my shoulders have gave out on me. I am trying to hold in there for my family's sake, trying to be strong but it feels like that there is not enough of me to go around. trying to give everyone in the family the proper amount of attention.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Do you mean it feels as though someone is pulling your toes upward (like the opposite way from the way they'd normally bend)???? I get this, Kita!! It's the weirdest feeling, I know what you mean if this is what you are experiencing! These strange, neurological sensations are a part of FM, I think some people have them more than others do---I know I get them a lot. And I know what you mean about them causing so much anxiety that you just cannot stand it, I go thru that, too. Now, having had stuff like this on & off for awhile, I'm usually not quite as anxious as I used to be with each new (or old or recurring) sensation---but I know exactly what you mean, and how hard it is to be around your kids. When I get like this, I'm so horribly distracted it's tough to just be around any people, even the ones I love. I hope it gets better for you! You can talk to me any time about this, I feel like the strange sensations with FM, & the anxiousness they produce, are the toughest things I battle with this illness---at least the pain you feel is much easier to explain to people, everybody at least "gets" what pain is...

Good luck, Kita & hugs,
    Pam
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

I could not get to sleep last night because I just could not stop rocking. There are times when the rocking and twitching feels like it is going to send me over the edge. I cannot take meds for this because I am already on so many meds that my liver is acting up.

What I have found helps me is a change of scenery. If I am in bed, I get up and lie down somewhere else. The livingroom couch with easy listening music and a fire in the fireplace usually helps calm down the twitching which I think might be related to restless leg syndrome. It helped last night.

Doing this with 4 little kids I imagine would be quite a challenge. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Sending you (((GENTLE HUGS))) Pepper
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Gee I felt so bad reading your post. Four children at such young ages, and one sick one too. What a platter full you have.

I used to have that horrific feeling mostly at night or late evening too. My husband watched me 'sleeping' on night, and said that I moved or jumped over a hundred times in a hour or so.

I used to get brush burns from the bedclothing on my knees and elbows I was so restless. Even my face would be red on the cheeks from the twisting.

I started taking Pro Energy (Malic Acid & Magnesium) in the morning and for lunch. Then the ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) at night.

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, and that is what I think causes those spasms and restlessness when we are tired. It is also a natural tranqualizer.

This is what I do in the evening;

6pm 1 (0.25 milligram) Xanax (it calms my mind and nerves down, and stops that anxiety before it starts)

10pm 2 ZMA for deep sleep and pain during the night.

Right before bed; Melatonin (3-5 milligrams) helps to fall asleep naturally.

This is the only combination in 20 years that has helped me. I don't know if this is for you, but as for as the supplements we do so desperately need them.

The Xanax works for me in this low dose, only in the evening, or if I feel that 'feeling (anxiety)' coming on during the day or if I am out somewhere I will that half that dose and it calms me down in twenty minutes or less.

Also, be sure to drink half you body weight in ounces of water a day, this is also very important also. Go read about the water cure on; www.watercure.com/intro.htm
    It is very informative for illnesses of anykind.

I sure hope you find some help soon, and I do hope you get somebody to give you a hand with the children too.

Will say prayer for you, if you would like me too.

Take care, and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2002]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome and muscle spasms with FMS. Neurontin or Klonopin are often helpful in relieving this. You might want to discuss this with your doc.

Love, Mikie
  9. kita309

kita309 New Member

thank you for all of your help. It helps knowing that I can talk to all of you about what is going on with me. I am the only one that I know personally that has this other than my father. Some days are better than others. Do any of you experience short term memory. I sometimes feel like I am walking around in a fog. Is this Fibro? or is it because of the meds. I have trouble remembering where I park the car when I go somewhere. Tonight I went to Wal-mart with the kids and came out and could not find the car. I know the kids got kinda scared at least my daughter did, my son thought that it was funny, he was hoping that we would not find it so that he would not have to go to school. Luckily we live in a small town and a friend of mine stoped and asked me what I was doing, she drove around the parking lot and found it. I felt so awful. I feel like I am losing it sometimes. If any of you would like to e-mail me directly you can at Kita@blomand.net
    thanks again for everyones response.
    Anna
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Had this same experience at a mall parking lot! Could not for the life of me remember what entrance I went in, so had no idea where the car was! I wandered around for about an hour before calling my husband in a panic (who's response was, " But how would I know where the car is? I wasn't there when you parked it!) As annoying as that was, he was right, of course!!....I finally found it on my own, now I try to concentrate on exactly what store I go in through (like, if I walk in through Sears, am I going through appliances or shoes?) so I can find my way out!!!

You are not alone, Anna, I think this is typical fibro behavior, & many of us have similar stories...

Take care & Hugs,
    Pam
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

I lose my car on a regular basis. It is definitely a part of this illness. I have started to carry a small pad of paper and pen in my purse. If I need to remember something, I try to remember to write it down, such as where I parked the car. It helps (if I remember to do it!)

My family and I have just come to expect that I will not remember anything unless it is written down. The short term memory is highly affected by this illness so I do not apologize any more. I just say, "If you want me to remember it, write it down!" I'm not old enough to be senile but it sure feels like I am sometimes.

Pepper