Fibro/thyroid affect on periods ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Does the fibro affect the continuation or even stop monthly periods ? .. I know this could be menopause .. but I just turned 49 and I'm on a low dose birth control for hormone benefits .. so periods were very predictable after the 21 days or so. The last 2 months they have stopped. I'm just wondering if the longer you have fibro the more impact it has on your cycle ? .. or being hypothyroid ?
    Has anyone been told that by their doctors ?
    Any information appreciated !
    Fudge : )
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

3. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

The only thing that stopped my period was Effexor. Got the whole thing, hot flashes, etc.

Stopped the Effexor, and everything returned to normal.
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I'm seeing the doctor this week .. may be she will tell me the awful truth and it is really menopause now ? YIKES !
    Thanks in any case
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

They stopped for one or two years when I was in my thirties. Doc tested "upper" and "Lower" hormones. All normal. I had been on Synthroid (thyroid) for about 10 years, (and grew a goiter the size of an orange).And thyroid levels were "normal", with or without taking thyroid meds.

When my ACCUPUNCTURIST who was an M.D., Neurologist and Psychiatrist changed my thyroid meds to Armour, my periods came back regular and my SEVERE shortness of breath stopped. The rest of me didn't feel any better, just those. So yes, FIBRO and/or Thyroid can affect our periods.
  6. AnnG

AnnG New Member

Grave's Disease was diagnosed because she stopped menstruating. So, I know thyroid probs can do this. However, I too am 49 and on low dose birth control and I am now skipping periods right and left. The horrible hot flashes make me think I'm at least in peri-menopause.
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank you guys so much for that information .. I just don't know what the heck is going on with me .. and I'm not sure how to get it all out in a logical order so my doctor ( who was away since Feb on maternity leave .. the NERVE of her ! haha ) will understand what is going on or at least know what tests I should have.
    It really helps to hear other people have this combo .. I think the Hashimoto's complicats things .. and this goiter I have doesn't look too bad from the outside but brother, it feels like some one is trying to choke me on the inside .. rattles the nerves to say the least ! haha
    Thanks again !
  8. Kryssi

Kryssi New Member

Here's the weird thing about me, I have hypothyroid/CFIDS/FM and about 3 months ago EVERY OTHER period stopped. I freaked that one of my ovaries must of shut down but after an intervaginal ultrasound it all looks well and is supposedly just a sympotm that will go away as my treatment for the CFIDS/FM/ Hypothyroid progresses. I cross my fingers cause I'm only 29, have no kids, am engaged, and want them desperately. :-(

Good luck and let me know how it goes.