Fibro vs rheumatoid arthritis???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 5, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Symptoms seem to overlap between fibro and arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis.

My arthritis blood tests always come back negative, but still I have a nagging suspicion that RA may be involved too.

Or maybe I'm just a hypochondriac!

I'm confused. I was feeling pretty darn good for a few weeks, now I'm back to work and feel wretched again.

Any comments?

thanks,
    beth.
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

we very often get misdiagnosed with ra.

i wouldnt dwell on it too much if your bloods came back negative then just concentrate on controlling your fm.

like you i feel pretty good as i have had an easy few weeks (no school) but now that i will be trudging across the playground i know i will soon be as though i am lugging my pet elephant :)

i dont think you are being a hypochondriac but i do know its doing no good to dwell and worry.

take it easy.
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

you are right! I'm not sure what I'd do differently if I did have RA, just that I need answers. I think I need to distract myself and not worry about it, just keep on keepin' on, managing as best I can, keeping my diet clean and doing that exercise.

You mentioned playground, do you teach elementary school?

I had a very stressful summer, was not restful, and I have no enthusiasm at all for this school year. I'm a school nurse at a high school with 3200 students and about 200 staff. Somebody wants something from me all day long!

I am grateful for a holiday today!

Peace,
    Beth.

4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

way cool!

no i have two kids at the same school but on differnt plagrounds and starting at the same time. and i am not quite the super mum that can run around the school ~ you should see some of them go!

i am going back to study and hopefully will have a dog training school.
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Beth,

I was dx'd 2 1/2 years ago, due to a positive RA factor. Not with rheumatoid, but fibro and cfs.

My rheumy doc is good, and I like him. He said he would want to keep testing me for RA, because they sometimes dx fibro when it is RA. He did tell me that the pain is actually worse with fibro. I don't know if that is true or not, not having RA.

I do have osteoarthritis, and it can be very painful.

Just letting you know what I was told. Keep bringing it to your doc's attention, or ask about other types of arthritis.

Hoping you feel better soon!

Kim
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

the two illnesses do overlap alot~
    I was DX with RA and Fibro. Then told no RA,..just Fibro.
    Then told,...Fibro, but not ready to rule out totally,RA.
    So,..I guess we wait it out.??
    I have alot of morning stiffness and some finger swelling.
    One knee hurts alot, & one hip.
    and all over muscle aches!!(FM)
    I was also suspected of having early Lupus at one time.

I'm confused right along with ya!
    Hope this helps
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm concerned because I have bilateral inflammation type pain that doesn't seem quite to be fibro because it's in joints like fingers, wrists (although I do have carpal tunnel syndrome too), ribs, elsewhere.

My mom was diagnosed with sero-negative RA and fibro, but recently was told they think she doesn't have RA after all.
    I think the medical community just really doesn't know.

I just started with a new primary doc who seems sympathetic, ordered labs work and C-spine x-rays (osteoarthritis there, of course, long standing problem). The labs came back normal, but they haven't yet sent me the copies I asked for.

I may make a follow up appointment with him, see where to go from here.

I must admit I am terrified at the thought of the RA meds, though. They are powerful chemicals.

Thanks for the good replies, you've all given me thoughts to think on.

Peace,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I've had hand x-rays done recently because of the carpal tunnel and osteo in my hands, but I don't know who looked at them other than the ortho doc.

He seemed confident he was looking at osteo changes, and I've been told that before.

What bothers me is that it's bilateral.

Anyway, I appreciate your input!

thanks,
    beth.