Fibro w/chronic bursitis/tendonitis. Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Irishroz1, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Irishroz1

Irishroz1 New Member

Hi,

I am brand new to this message board. I put my profile together to describe my story. I recently started having a pretty aggrevating problem with bursitis in my shoulder, it seems to be affecting my rotater cup . It has been going on for about a month or so without any let up.What I find frustrating is the way aches and pains just appear out of no where one day and stay for months. I had been taking celebrex for a miriad of pains before it was frowned upon. It really worked well for controlling pain and inflammation. Now I really dont take anything for pain except for a very occational advil, only when I am really desperate, as it causes gastritis when I take it for more than a few days. I am hoping this recent pain will go away in a few months like before because I really have trouble lifting my arm and just using it for anything that requires a bit of pressure. Anyone have any suggestions??
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have the same issues as you do, and although my bursitis is in my hip, my tendonitis is in my elbow to my hand. I have been going to a therapy for my hands...arthritis and tendonitis. I have had ultrasound, contrast baths, and trigger point message. It has helped my hand lots, but the tendon and shoulder are sore a lot. The trigger point massage does help with my neck and stiffness, but it it fleeting. I am learning how to do this to my own right upper back and shoulder. Not doing too well, yet. (-:

I take Vicodin twice a day...it helps me. I am having a flare right now so my shoulder as well as other parts of my body are hurting, and I don't want anyone touching my shoulder, etc.

That's about all I know. It isn't perfect, but at least my hands are better and stronger and hurt far less. Arthritis is treatable, but I think some of the other may just be part of FMS. Don't know, but time will tell.

Take care...glad you checked in. Best wishes finding something to help.

Sue
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

Awful schtuff. I've heard many people here (and articles and such) that injections into bursa can be very helpful (usually steroid + analgesic..a cocktail of meds in a syringe, basically). Alas, they didn't work for me, but many have been like pain today...gone tomorrow with them. And the effect lasts 3 weeks to 3 mos, usually, so don't have to do it that often.

Only thing I've found that helps me in hip region is otc Thera-gesic ointment. You'll smell like a big ole' peppermint (though you can wash off smell and still v effective) but its pretty good when used with self massage. Hope that helps!

Hugs..
    Rachel
  4. cafe52

cafe52 New Member

Hello irishroz1 Its nice to neet you.

about a year ago I had gotten a really bad case of Tendonitis in my right arm which is the arm I use the most.

I could not brush my teeth lift my coffee cup or do anything without it hurting alot.

I finally went to the doc and she said I had an infection from the tendontitis being so bad, took antibiotics and prednisone and it got better but to this day if I over use that arm like when I crochet lot it starts to hurt.

even today I had to don to much driving and my arm started to hurt.

I tried keeping a brace on it but that did not help, just recently I have been putting those patches on the ones whith like bengay in them while I crochet and it seems to help alot.

I was told to but heat then ice on it none of that really helped me much but the patches do. I also have chronic bursitis, but have not gotten any thing for that.

Sorry I probably have not been much help to you. I understand your frustation about the pain coming and going

a couple of months ago well the beginning of last month I guess I felt pretty good got out in the yard and did a lot of raking and cleaning up.

Now I am back in pain agian. What are you gonna do this stuff won't get done by itself.

Well if I were you I would talk to your doc about your arm it sounds like what I had and if it is nothing over the couter well help I'm affraid.

Good luck.
  5. bozey

bozey New Member

I've had this problem for years and just the past year, found out my problem. I have bursitis and tendonitis and arthritis in my left shoulder. Had xrays and finally an MRI which showed that I also have an impingement. The Doc said he could do surgery and it would help with the pain but I have RSD and surgery is out of the question.

Once it gets inflammed, it does take a couple of months of babying it til it feels better. I don't work so I can do that. If possible, don't pull, push or lift anything too heavy. And I find if I sleep on my left side with my arm lifted up under the pillow, it takes the pressure off.

Some days, just the weight of my arm causes pain. My Doc said to use a sling if it makes it feel better for a while. Mine is inflammed right now and just typing makes it hurt.

No meds have ever made it feel better. I did go to PT for a while and they used cortizone cream with the heat wand and did massages and alternated with ice. But, it reallly didn't help alot.

So, now, it's just another pain I live with. I hope you can find some relief from your pain. Maybe someone else will have a good suggestion.

I didn't read your profile yet so I don't know if you work or not but when I was working, I was in pain for 6 months at a time because I HAD to use my arm every day. I use to just cry the pain was so bad.

Anyhoo, welcome to the board. There is lots of info on every subject on here. Don't be afraid to ask.

bozey