Fibro? What to expect from Rheumatologist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petcat, May 29, 2008.

1. petcat

petcat New Member

After several years of doctors thinking I have MS, they are now saying possibly Fibromyalgia and want me to see a Rheumatologist. I am familiar with all the tests for MS, but what should I expect from a Rheumatologist?
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Petcat, I was dx'd by a rheumatologist in 2000; prior to that I had never heard of FM.

He asked a lot of questions about my sleep habits and also did the tender points test. The dr. presses on specific points of the body that are excruciating to those of us with FM. I don't exactly remember how many of those points there are. It's been so long.

FM is very much a diagnosis of exclusion. Which means the dr. will figure out what it ISN'T; then maybe or maybe not you'll get a dx of Fibromyalgia. There is no blood test for FM and nothing shows on x-rays.

That doctor put me on Flexeril for sleep and Celebrex for pain. The Celebrex didn't help much. I got immune to the Flexeril after a while. I now use Klonopin for sleep (prescribed by my PCP) that works much better.

For me the rheumy was good for the initial diagnosis but he wasn't much help afterwards.

Hope this helps you.

[This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

5. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am just reading Raven's post about marking her tender points before a dr's appt (terrific idea) so I see there are 18 of them, which I had forgotten. I think you have to have 11 to have an "official" dx. I had 14 I think.

Personally I think you can have it (FM) without having 11. two or three bad ones would do it, in my opinion.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hello there!
    I can only speak from my own experience - My PCP referred me, so I'm sure I "came with records" as my PCP took a full history (she was a new doc to me) - noting all of my ongoing aches, etc.
    The rheumy did a physical exam - yes checking for tender points, reflexes etc. - also I'm sure checking for signs of other things as well.
    The physical exam combined with my other symptoms, sleep problems, IBS, chronic pain, headaches, normal bloodwork led him to my FM diagnosis. I had bloodwork done earlier by my PCP, but the rheumy sent me for more to rule out Celiac, RA (an advanced test) Vit D deficiency and sorry but I can't remember what else!
    Since my diagnosing rheumy doesn't treat, I have since visited another rheumy (about every 4-6 months)as another resource to my PCP.
    I've been very fortunate to have had found two wonderful doctors (plus my PCP) who have been knowledgable and also kind!