Fibrobyalgia Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mumsey55, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. mumsey55

    mumsey55 New Member

    If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Social Security now considers it a permanent disability. They have finally taken their smart pills and realize how much pain we are in. I was approved this past spring and they back paid me from when I had to finally quit up to 2 years previously. Good Luck.
  2. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    How did you find this out? I would love to read were they have decided that this is REAL.
    My hearing is Sept. 19th.
    Thank you
  3. mumsey55

    mumsey55 New Member

    I was fortunate to have as my rep. a retired SS employee with 35 years experience. He had recently opened a consulting business for the express purpose of helping people receive their disability. He knew exactly what they were looking for. I had already applied and been denied. He wrote in for a trial date and we were waiting to come up on that list. In the mean time, he wrote another detailed letter describing my disabilities and he informed me that Fibromyalgia is now looked upon as a SS disability. This was maybe September or October, 2004. I received a letter in January, 2005 from the judge granting me the disability and my back check in February and then my first monthly check in March, 2005. I don't know if an employee at your local office is allowed to tell you that or not. If you can find someone who is very close to retirement, they may be willing to help you. Or tell your attorney what I just told you and let him find out. This is Federal so it has to be the same in every state. Good Luck. You deserve to get it. I am in a major flare up right now!!!!!! I just thought of something else. Why not check on the internet? Try SS site or get on or some other search engine. I do that just being curious about different things. You can find out stuff about Fibromyalgia too. Some naturals stuff to take to see if it helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  4. mumsey55

    mumsey55 New Member

    I really can't answer your question. You might try calling the 800 number and talking to someone there to get different opinion from your local office. If you don't have enough time in, see how long you have to work to have the alloted time in and see if you will be able to suffer the time out. I know what you are going through, but I worked for many years on pain pills because I didn't even know what I had. Good Luck to you. Mumsey55
  5. shepsgirl

    shepsgirl New Member

    I recently went through the SS website and requested an updated statement and it states that in order to receive disability you need to have a minimum of 17 work credits earned after the age of 21.

    I quit work to be a stay at home mom after getting married and I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago, I have 25 work credits but most of them were earned before I turned 21.

    I'm still going to finish filling out the paperwork and make and appointment to meet with someone to find out if I can still receive help.

  6. mumsey55

    mumsey55 New Member

    I don't know if you see the same replies that I do or not, but shepsgirl said she checked out the SS website and got an update for herself and found she needed 17 work credits after turning 21 years old. I am not real sure what this means. But when I filled out my quarterly reports at the office and did the unemployement form, each quarter that that I worked was 13 credit weeks. So I am guessing that means that you have to work at least 4 complete months to qualify. Also, I only got 1/3 of my monthly salary. Which really sucks!!!! Thank goodness I'm not living alone. Hope this helps
  7. ImDigNiT

    ImDigNiT New Member

    I am glad to hear that as I just had a telephone call from social security and my paperwork is in the works. Funny how the U.S. government recognizes it but my long term disability insurance does not!

    Anyway I have hired an attorney who is the bomb and knows how to deal with the insurance company. That company is Unum and they are well known to reject legitamate claims. As far as I am concerned they are gangsters.

    Peaceful mind and body to all.

  8. mumsey55

    mumsey55 New Member

    We all know how insurance companies try to wiggle out of paying for anything they possibly can. Hopefully when SS gives you the disability for it, they can be made to follow through with some added pressure. Good luck to you. You'll need it with the insurance company!!!!!!! I live in SW PA if anyone lives in this area or northern WVA, I can give you the name and phone number of my representative that got me my disability. He only works in these regions though.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2005]

[ advertisement ]