fibrofog & concentration &disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jojojem, Nov 2, 2002.

1. jojojem

jojojem New Member

I'm new to this disease and i'm not sure if it's fibro fog or short term memory.I can remeber what happen five years ago but now when i talk to someone and if we stop to say something else other than what we were talkinf about at first if they don't know me and i ask them what we were just talking about they look at me like i'm goofy.
    my friends that know i have this disease understand me and they help me,but it sure is scary also my concentration memory is really bad.Can any one give me some pointers who's on disability with this disease.I just filed for ssi.thank you
  2. jojojem

jojojem New Member

I'm new to this disease and i'm not sure if it's fibro fog or short term memory.I can remeber what happen five years ago but now when i talk to someone and if we stop to say something else other than what we were talkinf about at first if they don't know me and i ask them what we were just talking about they look at me like i'm goofy.
    my friends that know i have this disease understand me and they help me,but it sure is scary also my concentration memory is really bad.Can any one give me some pointers who's on disability with this disease.I just filed for ssi.thank you
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

JoJo to the board, glad you found us, we are so happy to have new members join us.

I know what you mean with the memory and the Fibro Fog. Mine has been a lot better since I started taking 'Ultra B-Complex'(high potency with Folic Acid). You can get them right here at Pro Health, just go to the 'Store' link at the top right of the board, and you can read about them.

I also drink half my weight in ounces of water a day, and this has also been a tremendous help with the memory and the fog. According to the doctor who wrote a book on water, we are all mostly dehydrated in America, and it can cause brain fog as our brains need water to function properly. YOu can go read about the water at; www.watercure.com/intro.htm

The name of the book if you are intersted is; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies, and Lupus' by 'F. Batmanghelidj, MD'. It is an interesting read to say the least!

I have been drinking water and taking a fourth teaspoon of sea salt a day for about 8 months now, and the fog is so much less!

I was getting so bad, that I would forget the simplest word in a sentence, lost my ability to spell, and would forget what date it was and sometimes the year too!

I would buy clothes and forget I bought them, buy the same books twice because I couldn't remember the titles when I got in the bookstore. It is really awful.

I am so much better with the B-Plus and the water drinking. It changed my life!

Others will share with you with your question about SSD, I can't help here! I do have a good supportive husband that supports me quite well, and I could not handle the hassle of the SSD these days.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope that we hear from you often. Also, please feel free to ask questions since you are just diagnosed, we have some wonderful people here who are more than willing to help if they can.

Shalom! Shirl
  4. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

nice to meet you! I don't have any pointers as to what might help but I wanted you to know that you are not alone. Most people tell me that it's old age creeping up on me (I'm only 33) or that I must have alot on my mind. I posted this in someone else's post but let me tell you how bad mine has been in the past. I was on my way to work one day, I had just dropped the kids off at school and I was merrily on my way to my job when I looked down and noticed that I had forgotten to wear shoes that day. I had to drive all the way home to get them making myself late for work. Trying to explain this to my boss as to why I was late wasn't easy. (I had not yet been diagnosed with fm.)
    I have learned to start buying myself only pink tooth brushes seeing how I'm the only girl in the family. My hubby and kids were getting upset that I accidentally used their's by mistake. lol My fog is seeming to get worse on a day to day basis unfortunately. I feel lost and confused. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have always been considered goofy or an air head by my family. Most of the time after I get over the irritation of forgetting I call up my mom and we have a good laugh about ME!

Soft gentle hugs,
    Crissie
  5. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

Hi. I'm relatively new to the boards and I've been trying to find out more about Fibro Fog. So I appreciate your question, Jojojem, and your answer, Shirl! Shirl, I'm intrigued by your answer. Just the knowledge that someone's Fibro Fog has gotten better is ENCOURAGEMENT for me. I've had Fibromyalgia since 1995, and until 2000 had enough clarity of mind to hold a full-time job as s Supervisor in a large insurance company. But then my condition worsened and I had to quit that job. Worst of all (to me) is my Fibro Fog has gotten noticeablly worse lately. It's so bad I'm always embarrassing myself around others. I feel like I'd be willing to live with the pain and other Fibro symptoms if ONLY I could keep my brain! I've taken to going around singing the scrarecrow song from the Wizard of Oz -- If I only had a brain. :) Once my memory started going I really started worrying about the progress of this condition. So now I'm on a search to find answers. So thanks for your input.
  6. azcrum

azcrum New Member

I do have a problem with memory and thought it was just old age creeping up. I am 43. This has been going on way before I was diagnosed and it's getting worse. I forget things totally that have happened the night before. Things like what we had for dinner or one time I changed my daughters password to get into AOL and I forgot what it was.
  7. granmama

granmama New Member

I can be interrupted during a conversation and the other person would try to complete it and I will say "huh"? I would totally forget what we were discussing.

BUT, ask me about something that happened in my childhood or even 20 years ago, I recall it like it was yesterday.

I never could understand why my mother could talk about things that happened 50 years ago, but couldn't remember which store she had been to and what she had just purchased.
    It is my firm belief she was affected by Fibro. But coming from the old school, she probably thought it was just a part of growing older.
    I remember one occasion where she said she had worn her diamond watch to Tom Thumb to buy pickles and must have lost it in the parking lot.
    After she passed away 2 years ago, we were going through her things and found 3 coffee cans full of pennies. In one of the cans was the same diamond watch.

Her experience has sure taught me a lesson. I really work hard to remember to write things down where I might have stored something important and so far I haven't forgotten where I put the list!

I also, have gotten out of jury duty because of the fear I would not be able to concentrate or remember the facts of the case. How embarrassing that would be???

take care,
    granmama
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2002]
  8. nini

nini New Member

Hi jojojem, I'm glad to know that fibro fog is a common complaint among FMily. I still work at the moment only 8 hrs a week tho but I know that will have to stop soon as my condition seems to be deteriorating both physically and fog so all I can say is thanx for joining the club and I hope to see you on the board alot in the future
    byee
    nini
  9. toots2

toots2 New Member

I have posted about the cognitive problems before but it bears repeating that this symptom is one that annoys me as much as my pain. It is getting so bad, people are noticing. Because my mother had alzheimer's, I know they are thinking I am losing my mind. Who knows, I might be, but it certainly helps hearing that others are going through this too. Not that I would wish this on anyone. It's just nice knowing I am not alone with this problem. I have not lost my way around yet but trying to find certain words is getting very difficult at times. I use to be able to whip up a meal for l0 with no problem at all. We have a lot of company and my family dines with us a lot. If it wasn't for my husband helping me remember what item I am trying to find in the refrigerator and pantry, I'd be in the kitchen all night. Toots
  10. azcrum

azcrum New Member

in my SSI appeal is that my memory is bad. My docs blaime it on my medication. At my hearing in front of the ALJ, the person who sits in and gives medical advice (I am not sure what they are called) said this problem could be a problem with any type of work I do. But, I was denied anyway saying I could do light work. We are now appealing it in appeals court. I wish I knew the percentage of people who get this far in the battle actually walk away with a favorable decision? I knew about the length of time this could take coming into it. It's frustrating being at the mercy of the governemnt.
  11. whsechick

whsechick New Member

..has become a 4 letter word for me! I agree with so many of you who say it's worse than the pain. There have been a few times when I'm driving down the street when I suddenly don't know where I am or where I'm going. This can be very scary! So now I don't go anywhere alone. As for dealing with it at work, well everyone in the company knows about my illness & they've been great. I also write everything down, I have become the post-it note queen! i'm new to all this to jojojem, this board is a great place for support and info.

whsechick

[ advertisement ]