Fibrofog got me pulled over by the police today.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I didn't sleep well last night and my daughter is having problems with my granddaughter, she is 15 and suffers with depression. I was on my way to get my blood work at the Dr.So I was distracted today.

I was sitting at a light and a police car was several lanes over from me. I thought the light changed and pulled out and went across the lanes.

Then I see the police car turn his blue lights on and zipped over behind me. I was one block from the office and pulled in there.

He walked up and asked me if there was any reason I stopped at the red light, waited, then ran it. What happened was the light at the next block turned green and
    I guess I thought it the light I was at.

I explained to him what I thought happened and he said he saw the light ahead change and figured that's what I had done. He was very nice and told me to be a little more careful.

I am so lucky that no one was coming down the street or I would have been broad sided. Has anyone ever done this?
    Carla with a angel today

2. darvick

darvick New Member

I have considered not driving but that would put such a strain on my family. There are times I have run red lights.
    Was in an accident (fender benders thank god) 3x last year.Not a good feeling. I think Im having a great day then the heat gets to me or i get distracted by problems , money etc. I knoow how you feel. I am really trying to be careful and not go far. Take care
    soft huggs
    Darlene
  3. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

How awful! Yes, I have done that before. I acted as thought the red light was a stop sign. Thank God nothing was coming for either of us!
  4. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

I once went straight across the road when the light turned green (I thought); couldn't figure out why the cars on the other side were making left turns directly in front of me practically cutting me off until I realized that MY light didn't turn green - The Left Turn Only light did......it was still red for those going straight!
  5. Scapper

Scapper New Member

YES!!!!

Thank God no one was coming in the other direction!!!!

Driving is so difficult being so fogged. Sometimes I don't realize just how foggy I really am until I get behind the wheel of the car. I often think about what would happen if I got pulled over. There are times I'm so spacey that they would think I were drunk.

One time I passed a stop sign and didn't realize it until I was pulled over. When the officer told me that I passed the stop sign, I asked "where" -- no clue.

I used to be such a good driver too -- hate this illness :(

Happy you're ok!!!

scapper

6. ckball

ckball New Member

I use to drive so much, I use to travel alot between VA, KY and PA. Now I'm lucky if I go to the Dr without killing me or someone else.

It is scary after I cam home and thoght how my angel had to be looking out me. This is a 4 lane by 4 lane intersection. If the cop had not been sitting there I would have never known it.

Now I know why I stay home,lol. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one and glad you are ok-Carla
  7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I was driveing in a city that I didn't do much driving in. I was notpaying attention and I could not figure out why all thecars were heading for me and honking at me. Luckliy for me I saw the sign that said "ONE WAY ONLY"
    I drove till I found a gas statin and turned in and came out going in the right dirrection. IT was so emabrassing as I had my kids with me. They thoght it was so funny as I had not seen the sign when I turned on to the street but they did and didn't tell me. Waited to see how long it would be before I saw the sign. I could have killed them for not telling me. They sat there in the back seat laughing hard at me. Pay attention MOM.

Rosemarie
  8. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Hi Ckball

I am so sorry you had to experience that but, I really do think it is very very common for those of us who have fibro. There have been many times when I think the only way I drove somewhere without hurting myself or someone else, was because the good Lord was with me and had my angels busy busy at work!

I recently experience being fogged to the point I suddenly didn't know where I was or where I was driving to but at the same time, I was looking around at the surrounding buildings and knew for sure I was in a familiar area and that I was really supposed to know where I was. That was so scarey. It has since happened a couple more times but I am calmer now when it happens and just pray and look for something that will let me know where I am. It usually takes about 2 or 3 blocks until I can focus enough to know where I am. I told my psychiatrist and at least he understood. I don't tell many people though because I am afraid if the wrong person hears it....maybe they will take away my license.

God Bless you and pray for angels all around you when you drive. I do all the time.
    NanaMama
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I told mt doctor and she said no driving.It was actually a relief because I could have killed my son and myself or somebody else,I couldn't live with that,Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2006]
  10. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

BUT, the police officer thought I needed a ticket anyway. I had never gotten a ticket before and told him. I was in a bigger city from my home. Didn't matter. I ran a red light and he gave me a ticket. Cost me nearly $200 of which I did not have! I was lucky I did not cause an accident but I didn't and unfortunately I got a ticket anyway.
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

are having this problem.

I hesitate in what I am about to say but I am going to say it anyway.

It needs to be said and I am not trying to make anyone mad or upset anyone and my post is not directed at anyone in particular.

If you tell you physicians about this they will tell you to stop driving.

If you tell the wrong or right (depends on your point of view) person about this they will turn you in to the police.

I am not ashamed to say that I have turn in someone who had narcolepsy and was told to stop driving. This person wreck several times due to their disorder but refused to stop driving.

I feel I had no choice-he or someone else was going to get hurt or worse and I did not want that person to be me or someone I cared about.

If anyone if pulling in to wrong lanes of traffic and running traffic safety lights and the like you need to give up of the privilege of driving because you are going to hurt or kill someone.

Think about having your physician assess you for medical fittness to drive. Remember if your medications read do not drive while taking this medication then don't drive :) sorry but many people just overlook this.

Thank you all for letting me share my opinion.

I know you all take this issue very seriously too.

Take care all,

Karen :)
  12. kjfms

kjfms Member

I agree these symptoms are very unpredictable. I too stay home from work when feel extremely ill.

In my post I was honestly not trying to upset anyone I just felt the need to say it and I know driving privileges are a touchy subject but so is the lives of innocent people.

I can honestly say when the day come that my driving is affected by my FMS fog I will give up the privilege of driving.

I am not trying to start any arguments with this and if anyone feels they have to hit the alert buttons please feel free to do so.

I have tried to be very nice and pleasant in sharing my views on this subject.

Thanks,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2006]
  13. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

It's still quite alive, it was brand new when I got it in 2002. But when I "got sick" full blast back in early 2005, my car found a permanent parking spot at the top of my driveway.

In my opinion, impaired driving isn't limited to only alcohol and street drugs. We're just as responsible and accountable for our actions.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  14. OlWolf

OlWolf New Member

Someone ahead of me said some folks don't have a choice....
    I'm one of those.
    I raised my kids on my own, so I had no "social life"... days was Work, Kids' needs, and Sleep. When I got so sick I lost my job, any steady contact with other folks declined from there... I live by myself, and any friends I had drifted away when I got too sick to be any fun. There's been times my truck's been broke-down, and I'd been without groceries for 6 days... no one around to take me to the store. It's 3 miles to the supermarket, but I can't walk that far anymore, and I sure couldn't carry the weight of the groceries with my arms in pain, either. At the end of that week I'd got $ from a son to fix the truck.
    The whole time I was married, my hubby kept us basically homeless. I bought MY home - myself - on my own... an' I ain't leavin' it.
    Driving in the small town near me's OK. The once a month trip to the City to get house-supplies and see the Doc, scares me at times. I've noticed that where I used to "just go"... now I have to concentrate Hard - and I used to drive for a living! I'm OK on the Interstate... I haven't missed an exit but 3 times - LOL!
    I think it's the jumbled, heavy load of Stuff that assaults your senses in City, that makes things confusing when the Fog's rolled in. I noticed that I've gradually ceased to just jump in the truck and run... I go get what I need - then stay home as much as I can.
    Funny how it's called "a privilage to drive"... I know I'd probably starve if I couldn't. Being able to Eat - is not a "privilage".
  15. DreamPoet

DreamPoet New Member

A few weeks ago...before I was diagnosed with FM...I was making a left turn into a store and instead of turning at the first driveway where I was supposed to turn, I kept going into the left turn lane of oncoming traffic to turn into the next drive. About scare my teenage son and myself half to death. Thank God there were no cops around and I didn't hit anyone! This was before I even knew what FM was! Fribrofog really explains a lot of my "blonde moments!"