Fibrofog, MS and Math

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Jun 6, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Does anybody have fibrofog problems doing simple math? I used to be very good at things like adding up long columns of numbers in my head. But lately, I make mistakes doing the simplest arithmetic, like adding and subtracting, unless I can write it down. I'm hoping this is related to fibrofog, not further damage to my brain from my MS. I had a cognitive test a few months ago that said my IQ and memory ranked in the 98th percentile, but even then, it sure didn't feel that way. And I've definitely been aware of more cognitive problems with arithmetic in the last few weeks. Of course, I haven't been sleeping well; so that might be a factor.

If this is related to fibrofog, would getting more Stage 4 (delta) sleep reverse the problem? Or at least stop it from getting worse? If it's MS-related, I guess all I can do is hope that the Avonex I'm taking will stop it from getting worse.

--Laura R.M.
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Over on the chit chat board, Fern just posted the same thing. I don't believe it's just your MS. Alot of us have the same problems. I used to excel in alot of areas, and now I need a calculator just to balance the checkbook. It's very frustrating. Some days and moments are worse than others. Sorry I can't help, but wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Debbie