Fibrofog Trial at Washington Hospital Center!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillfighting, Aug 25, 2003.

1. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Well guys, I finally had my appointment with the new rheumy. Although he was not able to help me directly, he introduced me to Dr. Walitt, who is doing research on fibrofog! I enrolled in the study, and will be going through about 2 hours of tests the day after Labor day. He said enrollment is still open, so anyone in the DC area who is interested should check it out. The number is (202)877-6274. He's also looking for "normal" controls. It's so good to know that medical folks are taking this stuff seriously!
  2. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I say "Amen" to how good it is to know that someone is trying to help!

Love,

Sumbuni

PS! Maybe we should all send up a prayer for this research!
  3. aaron19

aaron19 New Member

I'm glad to hear more research is being done.
  4. bsyounges

bsyounges New Member

thanks so much for the heads up. i just left a message with his receptionist to get in on the study. she said he was really good about returning calls. i'm excited. i'll let you know if i get in.
    thanks,
    bsyounges
  5. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I don't like to bump, but it's too important to ignore learning more about our DD!
  6. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Need to bump this again!
  7. pixipip

pixipip New Member

GOOD LUCK!

When will the results be released?, hope you will keep us posted.

Love & Light,
    Lot's Of Prayers For Big Success!
    Jacqui.
  8. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

As far as I know, they are tests of cognitive functioning. But I'm not sure exactly what they will involve. They may also be taking blood and do a history and poke the tender points to make sure you meet the diagnostic criteria. Just so you know, Dr. Walitt apologized for hurting me.

I'll have a better idea what is involved Tuesday afternoon, and will post then. My feeling about this is anything that can help doctors understand FM better is bound to help in the longrun!

Jacqui--I'll be sure to ask about the timeframes of the study and when results will be released. It probably won't be for awhile, since they are still recruiting participants.

Hilary
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see that research is being done on our illness(es).

Love, Mikie
  10. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Sorry about the car accident--as if the DD isn't bad enough!

Anyway, I have to say I was impressed with the attitude of both Drs. Weinstein and Walitt. Most of the docs I've been to have been mostly concerned with pain relief. While this is important, I would like to be clearheaded so I can do my job in the best way possible. They actually listened to what I had to say about treatment goals, and backed off on a recommendation to up my Flexeril dose, since it adds to any problems I have with thinking anyway.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hilary
  11. healing

healing New Member

did you ever contact my docs at the Kaplan Clinic? Believe you said you were going to, some time back...
  12. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Bump again, for folks in the Washington DC area!
  13. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

The docs at Washington Hospital Center that I've had personal experience with are Dr. Walitt (who is conducting the fibrofog research) and Dr. Weinstein.

LOL,
    Hilary
  14. Therrell

Therrell New Member

What hospital is this, or is the name of the hospital the Washington Hospital Center???????
  15. Blond

Blond New Member

Oooooo How I wish a hospital in my area (West Florida)Would follow suit,I would be the 1st to sign up.Let Us know how it goes,we wanna know every detail.Hugs,Blond
  16. LBV

LBV New Member

thanks kim
  17. bsyounges

bsyounges New Member

The Washington Hospital Center is a large hospital complex in Washington DC
  18. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

The way I found out about this research was through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) web site. This is a US federal government agency that issues research grants to academics and teaching hospitals to investigate health related matters. Last year, NIAMS, which is one of the institutes held a conference to figure out what is and is not known about fibromyalgia. I figured that a good bet for finding a good doc was either to find someone who is doing research funded by NIAMS or who is on their research advisory panel. Some of the big FM research centers seem to be in Boston, Cincinnati, Ann Arbor (MI), and Portland (OR), but you can probably find good folks in other parts of the country using this strategy.
  19. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

The way I found out about this research was through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) web site. This is a US federal government agency that issues research grants to academics and teaching hospitals to investigate health related matters. Last year, NIAMS, which is one of the institutes held a conference to figure out what is and is not known about fibromyalgia. I figured that a good bet for finding a good doc was either to find someone who is doing research funded by NIAMS or who is on their research advisory panel. Some of the big FM research centers seem to be in Boston, Cincinnati, Ann Arbor (MI), and Portland (OR), but you can probably find good folks in other parts of the country using this strategy.
  20. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

[ advertisement ]