FIBROGA- Yoga program for Fibromyaglia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happycanuk, Oct 18, 2006.

1. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Do a google search on FIBROGA.

It was developed by Karen Grove, a fibromyalgia sufferer for 12 years who thought yoga would be good for fibromyalgia sufferers, but she could not do a lot of the poses. So she spent a year with a yoga master developing fibroga which modifies yoga poses for those with fibromyalgia. She also has a book out on her apporach to living with fibromyalgia called "The Grove Approach".

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

happycanuk:

I will have to check this one out. Many years ago when I was healthy I did yoga, but i dropped in after about five years.

Since I have gotten sick with the fibromyalgia I never gave it a thought.

nyrofan
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks Happy

I will check this out. I tried Yoga a few years ago. The woman who taught it thought it was a yoga class for beginners but the class was too advanced for me.

The instructor had us with our feet over our heads (really painful for my neck) and all the quickly changing levels standing to on the floor (there was a routine we were supposed to do as quickly as possible) just make me nauseous!

I am not the most atheletic person in the world and I was really embarrassed as I couldn't keep up. Now I have a lot more weight on me so it would be even harder.

hugs Redwillow
  4. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

A gal on one of the other sites I visit has FM and posted about this. She got the DVD and says the exercies are wonderful.Apparently, you do them sitting down in a chair. There is a 2nd, more advanced DVD as well.
  5. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

I just looked at the webite for Fibroga, and it sounds interesting. Have you purchased the dvd's? Were they helpful?

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I just ordered the first aid kit - and cannot wait until it gets delivered!! I would love to hear if other people have tried it...
  7. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I met Karen Grove a few weeks ago. She and I talked for a while, and I bought one of her FM Awareness bracelets, I love it!

Anyway, she does classes at one of our local hospitals, and will be starting one in March. I'm going to try to take it.

I was in a severe flare when I met her. I was amazed that she 'looked' so good. But she could tell I was in a huge flare when we met. Very nice lady, and it seems that her plan really does help people....it certainly seemed to have helped her.
  8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Maybe we could set up a thread when we all start using the DVD's to track issues, successes, and questions. The First Aid kit has both DVD's, the book, a yoga mat, and something else...I hope mine gets here before the weekend since I had it sent to work.

Nancy
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I love yoga, but my classes got cancelled on me as there were only two people attending. I never had much trouble with it, but I later found out that people who are hypermobile shouldn't do yoga. Is this true? And if that's the case, can I still do this fibroga?
  10. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Happy

I wrote Karen an email and she replied to me. She seemed really nice.

Happy do you mind me asking how much the program cost for you to have it delivered here in Canada?

I will be watching this thread to see how everyone is doing. Please keep us posted.

hugs Redwillow

11. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I haven't ordered it yet. I am waiting to find out if FM'ers can do it lol A friend on another board ordered it and is having good results with it. I think I will order it today and then I will let you know that.
  12. forfink

forfink New Member

The best thing about yoga is that it is not a competition. If those of you who want to try it, look for a beginner class. Only do what you can do. If your body hurts doing some poses, ask the teacher for a substitute pose.

With this new influx of Power Yoga mentality in America it becomes harder to find the real thing, remember gentle is better.

The whole idea behind yoga is MIND, BODY, SPIRIT. You should leave yoga class, refreshed, feeling more oxygen pumped into your body, and a sense of peace that you gave your body a gift for that day. Yoga helps you LOVE your body!!
  13. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I wrote to Karen to ask about shipping charges. Here is her reply for those that are interested.

Hi Anne,

Thank you for writing. It really is a great DVD. The exercise is very gentle stretching and the wonderful thing is that you work to your ability. As soon as you feel pull, that is your stopping point and eventually over time and doing the exercise on a regular basis it stretches the knots and achy muscles out and takes away the pain. You will get more and more flexible the more you do the exercise. It took me about one year to really get back to feeling the full effects. The other nice part of the exercise is the body scanning relaxation. It is about reconnecting your mind and body, deep breathing and scanning each body part making it heavy and sinking on the exhales and feeling light and floating on the inhales. Deep breathing is essential to learn . We, as fibro persons, usually are shallow breathers and I really emphasize getting the most oxygen you can to your body parts on inhales and expelling what I call “junk air” as much as possible on exhales. It is really worth it and I can tell you that three years ago, I walked with a cane, had little energy, no muscle strength. Last year I went through open heart surgery to replace a leaky mitral valve and came out of it with not one fibro effect. Cleveland Clinic is sold on my program!! Remember, diet is really important too!. Stay away from granulated sugar, white and wheat bleached flours and aspartame, any of the artificial sweeteners have aspartame in them. Substitute flour with spelt flour or rice flour. They are natural and do not have the pain effects that regular flours that have been chemically processed have. For sugar you can use xylitol sugar or stevia sugar. I like xylitol because it is one to one equal to sugar. Stevia is 1 teaspoon = 1 cup granulated sugar, much more concentrated and leaves a taste in your mouth but some people like it and say that they get used to it. Any of these products should be available at a whole foods coop or if you cannot find them, I have a link on my website to Shop Natural for the flours and sugars, spelt products like spaghetti, lasagna, macaroni pasta, etc. I hope this all helps you. Now, shipping will be the same if you buy both at once. Airmal letter would be $3.95 or Global priority would be $8.50. You can just specify on your order. Thanks for asking and if you ever need anything or have questions, feel free to call me at my toll free number on my website at www.thegroveapproach.com.

Hope, Peace and Joy always in your life!!

Sincerely,

Karen Grove

14. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

when we met, FMers CAN do this....and she does have FM. As she stated above, she was using a cane and was in tremendous pain. She worked with a Yoga instructor to come up with this program. And she stresses that you only do what you can....no pushing yourself...you work at your own speed and work up to more.

Currently her 'First Aid Kit" is on sale..... I don't have the money to get it right now, but I am thinking of taking her class in a few months, so I would get it then anyway.
  15. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I had started yoga when I was 15 .. Kareen Zebroff had a show in Canada .... I have both her books .. it was an "off and on" love affaire for me .. now I have been practicing "bed yoga" for over a year and it is wonderful for me .. especially with a past ruptured disc in my lower back replaced with bone graft and 4 screws ( so I know this works !)
    It is calming .. and satisfying to advance gently into better flexability and strength.

I'm so glad to see this as a topic and recommendation !
    Try it ! .. I promise, if you give it time, you will love it !
    Joy : )
  16. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I just recieved my first aid kit in the mail at work. It came in this huge box with sealing tape that had Fibro First Aid Kit - kind of embarrassed since it was mailed here at work. I'll get over it.

It came with both Fibroga 1 & 2 DVD's, self help book, cook book, a DVD that emphasizes taking care of your appearance, and nice Yoga Mat. I am very excited about checking it all out this weekend. Carefully check it out because I am in a slight flare up from work stress. I was faithful in doing Yoga for a year - before I was officially diagnosed - and I loved it. I am hoping that this program will provide the same sense of peace and mind/body/soul connection.