FIBROID TUMOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Remember a few weeks ago I had that bladder infection? Well, I was also bleeding. So last Friday I went to my GYN and had an ultrasound done. She found a fibroid tumor "as big as a peach". The dr. said that since I stopped bleeding, we would "wait and see" what happens with it. She said if it bleeds again I should consider a hysterectomy. I had one last year, and had a D&C, and she said that a D&C would probably not help, but a hysterectomy would. I'm not opposed to a hysterectomy. My husband is concerned about the size of the fibroid, and told me to get a second opinion. I'm going to talk to my family dr. tomorrow. Has anyone here had fibroid tumors, and if so, what did you do about it? I'd like some input. Thanks!

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Remember a few weeks ago I had that bladder infection? Well, I was also bleeding. So last Friday I went to my GYN and had an ultrasound done. She found a fibroid tumor "as big as a peach". The dr. said that since I stopped bleeding, we would "wait and see" what happens with it. She said if it bleeds again I should consider a hysterectomy. I had one last year, and had a D&C, and she said that a D&C would probably not help, but a hysterectomy would. I'm not opposed to a hysterectomy. My husband is concerned about the size of the fibroid, and told me to get a second opinion. I'm going to talk to my family dr. tomorrow. Has anyone here had fibroid tumors, and if so, what did you do about it? I'd like some input. Thanks!

Annette2
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

DON'T get a hysterectomy!!!!! You'll be SORRY!! Hysterectomys aren't done anymore for fibroids. That's old time stuff!!! I had fibriod tumors for years and they aren't cancerous, but can be a nuisance. Back when I had my operation, all they knew how to do was cut out your organs! Nowadays, there's new techniques, one of which involves some sort of laser that burns the fibroids roots and cuts off the blood supply. It eventually dies off and disappears. If you get your uterus removed, you'll go through some awful changes that doctors don't warn you about and many aren't even aware of! I researched this heavily on the net and the ovaries and uterus work together to give us a feeling of well being. If you have the surgery, it messes up your hormones, and I don't mean early menopause. That only happens if the ovaries are removed too. A famous female gyn wrote a book on menopause and perimenopause and talked about what happens when you have a hysterectomy. (She was on the Oprah show) You'll develop anxiety disorder, depression, mood swings, etc... I doubt your doctor will agree with that. It seems many don't bother to keep up with these new findings. I can find out more on this if you like, but don't rush into surgery. I had it done in the early 90's and have been suffering ever since. If I knew then what I know now, I'd be better off. I'm still kicking myself for it, but what could I have done? Surgery was the only answer back then and everybody was getting their parts removed. Believe me when I tell you that our bodies don't act normal once organs start getting removed. Let me know if you need more info!

Marilyn
    My email is ssmarilyn@yahoo.com
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

well now I have a second opinion for you. I did have fibroid tumors and because of the position where they were located in the uterus I "had" to have a hysterectomy. It is true that Fibroids are "normally" not cancerous, but in my case they did have a malignancy. The surgeon said it was very fortunate that I did not decide to wait. They could not tell that they were cancerous until they were removed and sent in for pathology. I also had a D&C just before, even though it stopped the heavy bleeding I knew that eventually I would have to have them removed and I decided I would rather just get it over with. Thank goodness I did. I know that everybody's case is different, but this is what happened with me. The last period I had lasted for over 40 days, until I had the D&C, and all I can say is it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Everyone has to make up their own mind but I would certainly weigh the pros and cons.

Dara
  5. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

Hi, I had a fibroid when I was expecting my first child. {30 years ago] It bled once after that then I had no more trouble. I have now been through the menopause and I have been told it has shrunk and will not cause any more problems, so I would advise you to wait and see, do not do anything drastic. Fibroids are not cancerous, they do have a rich blood supply though and can bleed easily. Please don`t worry.
    Best wishes
    Pat.
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

My advise to you would be : DON'T RUSH INTO ANY SURGERY..
    Get a second opinion..Weigh the pros and cons..And then take it from there..Sometimes they want to give hysterectomies too easily..Granted sometimes they are REALLY needed, but make sure before you go ahead with it..
    Like I said, get a second opinion to start with..
    Take Care...Hope everything works out for you........
    Donna
  7. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I also had a fibroid tumor...too big to be removed any other way than surgery. I had the very heavy bleeding each month, so much so that I was anemic. I would get a second and third opinion if I was you, so that you can make an informed decision. I had a hysterectomy, with one ovary remaining. I have not had one problem... no mood swings or depression, etc. It was the best thing I could have done. I felt better afterwards...probably because my anemia finally went away when I wasn't bleeding to death anymore!
    Good luck.
    LynneH
  8. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I have a single fibroid the size of a tennis ball. We are currently doing the wait-and-see thing. The gyn offered me a hysterectomy, which I declined. Lo and behold, she then came up with other alternatives - endometrial ablation, myomectomy, etc. A single, large fibroid can often be removed, leaving the uterus largely intact. It seems to be a more technically demanding surgery, plus there is always the risk of more fibroids, so they don't often suggest it as a first resort - particularly for women who are not planning on more children. But, there are options besides hysterectomy.
    Kitty =^..^=
  9. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

I also had fibroid tumors that were noticed during a surgical exploratory procedure for something unrelated. I ignored them until I started having a period that did not end. A hysterectomy was suggested by my doctor and I chose to have both ovaries removed since my family has a history of ovarian cancer. The surgery was complicated by undiagnosed endometriosis...I nearly bled to death on the table. The laproscopic procedure turned into an emergency c-section incision which entailed a much longer recuperation.

After they got me stabilized on Estratrace (took several months of severe headaches), I felt much better. But now I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis which is a higher risk in women with hysterectomies.

Had I been presented with an alternative to a hysterectomy I would have chosen it, but then the endometriosis would have been a much larger problem. Knowing what I know now I would have gotten a 2nd and maybe a 3rd opinon before making my decision.
  10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I cancelled my appt. with my family doctor. I'm just going to wait a little while and see what happens. I feel kind of "funny" down there, but I can't tell if it's actually something to do with the fibroid, or if it's FMS or if it's me imagining it. If I continue to feel bad, I'll call my GYN again. I don't mind having a hysterectomy - I have gone through menopause already. The weird thing is - I read that usually fibroids occur less AFTER menopause - well, mine first APPEARED after menopause! What gives with that? This is all too strange. Having FMS doesn't help matters any - I always wonder if a symptom is actually from the FMS or is actually another problem?

Annette2
  11. roro

roro New Member

Mine are small. My GYN wanted to do surgery, suggested a myectomy, because I was having the period that never ends. Luckily I discussed it with my regular doctor, who told me about alternative treatments for bleeding and fibroids. He gave me chinese herbs, which stopped the bleeding immediately. (I had been bleeding for four months straight, except for the two rounds of progesterone which only stopped it for the five days on it, and gave me horrible side effects) I had to go off the pill, because estrogen can make them grow. I was so afraid that I would have the heavy irregular periods I used to have if I was ever off the pill. I had been on it since I was 16 for that reason. But with the herbs, I had no problems. It has been a miracle for me. For the first time in my life I have regular periods.
    Its not something you can buy, the company will only sell it to healthcare proffessionals. My doctor also has a protocol for shrinking fibroids, which I will probably do at some point, but right now I got bigger fish to fry.
  12. cpalance

cpalance New Member

doctors are still recommending hysterectomy's for fibroids. I had an endometrial ablation about 10 years ago and it was great. In and out the same day, no more periods, and no more unexpected bleeding. That was the best decision I had ever made. They just go in with a laser and burn off the lining of your uterus along with the fibroids. Easy, back to work the next day. No pain either. Oh, and by the way, fibroids are common with people that have FMS according to my doctor.
    Good Luck,
    Cindy
  13. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had a D&C last year to remove a fibroid. And I still got another one this year. I don't want to have to keep having D&C's. But we're not rushing into anything yet anyway. I'll keep you all posted about what's going on with this.

Annette2
  14. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello Annette -

I fought off fibroids along with some endometriosis for about 12 years. Mostly the protocol was to stay on "the pill" 30 out of 30 days.

My ob/gyn performed a myoectomy, where the uterus is lifted up out of the body and the fibroid is removed, then the uterus is put back into the body and stitched up.

This gave me about a 2 year reprieve. Nonetheless, I did finally have to have a hysterectomy, due to a very large fibroid re-growing, at age 28, but left both ovaries.

Your situation sounds somewhat different, as you are not in child bearing years, though the decision won't be any easier nor should it be rushed into.

What I want to share with you is a resource for progesterone creme or natural tablets, which is said to help with the shrinking of fibroid tumors. The web site is called Askdrhelen.com As a doctor, she seems pretty knowledgeable. The theory is that progesterone helps to balance out our bodies. It is felt that if we are "hyper"-estrogen, we are in need of a natural progesterone.

I am getting ready to order some for myself.

Blessings and support with your decision, ......... Jill
  15. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I had it done at 26 yrs old, I now have custody of my 8 yo nephew, I am so glad I have him, I have had him 4 yrs, I have never regretted the hysterectomy, not once. I thought at 26 that I never wanted children, I did not know that God had other plans for me.

I, personally, am really glad I had it done. I had nothing but trouble and I had painful intercourse due to the cervix being "hit" and of course I do not miss the monthly thing. I still have my ovaries, I am 41 now and have had no problems at all.

Best thing I ever did, right up there with running a marathon.

Jaci