Fibroids cause CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jul 1, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

Anyone know about a study of women with fibroids having higher incidence of CFS?

A few years ago, when going through my third relaspse of CFS, I read an article in a Reader's Digest-type health magazine about how some study of female CFS sufferers showed link with fibroids. Because I was in brain fog, I don't remember the name of the magazine.

My GYN told me 6 yrs. ago I had fibroids, but didn't pursue it with him. And, this last year(during my 4th CFS relapse in 20 yrs.), I've had more episodes of cramping, bleeding, constipation, and abdominal bloating - I believe,from those fibroids. I'm menopausal: no periods for 6 mos., I'm guessing the bleeding is from fibroids. Now I thinking that my CFS relapse could be, in part, related to fibroids.
    Even though benign, I'd think tumors whose growth is dependent on hormones - and other nutrients - would affect something like CFS.

Wondering if anyone has knowledge of this CFS and fibroid study? Or, what knowledge others have this connection between fibroids and CFS?

Thanks,

Anna
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I had my uterus removed about 20+ years ago because it was full of fibroids and affecting my health negatively.

All of this is really food for thought, isn't it?

Pam
    Spanaway, WA
  3. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

Interesting point,isee. I had a total hysterectomy in '98, and feel tons better that way, everyone I spoke to before told me I'd never regret the surgery and I don't. Fibroids had my uterus the size of 4 months pregnant, and they found ovaries the size of large lemons once they got in there. The car accident that triggered this endless pain was in '91, so now you've got me wondering if there is some sort of link, a systemic breakdown that lets the fibroids grow along with the other stuff. The more we think, the more we learn. The more we learn, the more we can teach.
    Thanks,
    Echo2
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

uterus. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1993 and have not regretted it one day since. Also, I have fibroid cysts in both breasts so maybe there is a connection. Seems to me I did read in one of my many Fibromyalgia books about a link between the two.

Dara
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

between our illnesses and the incidence of fibroids. I don't think we can say the fibroids "cause" CFIDS or FMS because a link is not always a cause. It may well be a trigger of our illnesses, or we may be predisposed to them because of our illnesses. It's another of many "chicken-and-egg" mysteries. If fibroids were the cause of our illnesses, men would not be sick with them.

Love, Mikie
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

at least I didn't have any the last time I saw my gyn.