FibroMuslims? Questions about Ramadan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jamila, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Jamila

Jamila New Member

Assalamu Alaykum! (for non-Muslims that means Peace to you!)

I have a question about Ramadan and fasting. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibro, but I have had it for about 10 years.

I have always fasted, but it has always been very difficult for me except for when I was not working (I could sleep and be foggy).

My question is if it is permissible not to fast when Fibrofog is my only problem. Now that I am working again, I cannot function well without food and coffee.

I can retime my meds so that I take them before and after daylight.

Since I have always fasted in the past, I am not sure if I can take the rukhsa or not.

wa salam (with peace), and thank you for your advice, Jamila
  2. Jamila

Jamila New Member

A person doesn't fast if she/he is sick, pregnant, nursing, a child, an old person, etc...

But often we Muslims fast even when we are sick because we want to, and the illness would not be made worse by fasting.

Some scholars say you do not have to fast only if your condition would be made worse by not fasting or if you have to take medication of any sort.

Other scholars say that God gives you the mercy of not fasting if you are sick to any degree, and it would be wrong not accept a mercy from God.

I wanted to know if a fellow Muslim with fibro would feel that fibrofog would be enough reason not to fast. According to the first sort of scholar, no. According to the second sort of scholar, yes. I am leaning towards the second, but worry that I am just looking for an excuse not to fast. Maybe I am over thinking over pious? It is dumb stuff like this that drives a person crazy! (^:

I just wanted a fellow Muslim to share her experience. I know we have an Egyptian woman here, but maybe she is a Coptic Christian or a non-practicing Muslim. Maybe there is someone else.

Thanks for your supportive words, I appreciate it.

Jamila
  3. bakron

bakron New Member

I am a Christian, but one who studies Islam. Here is what I found for you from a credible source:

"WHO IS EXEMPT FROM SAWM?

Fasting is mandatory on every Muslim who is sane, adult, able and resident. The following exemptions apply:

the insane;
    children who are not adolescent yet;
    the elderly and chronically ill for whom fasting is unreasonably strenuous; Such persons are required to feed at least one poor person every day in Ramadan for which he or she has missed fasting.
    pregnant women and nursing may postpone the fasting at a later time;
    the ill and the travellers can also defer their fasting.

Allah says in the Qur'an, Surah Al-Baqara:

<b>'But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period should be made up by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you to difficulties.'</b>

Women during the period of menstruation or of postchildbirth confinement. Fasting during these periods is forbidden and should be made up later, a day for a day."

In addition:

"What does not break the fast:

If anyone forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks, he should complete his fast, for it is only Allah who has fed him and given him drink.(A Hadith from Muslim).

Unintentional vomiting.

Swallowing things which are not possible to avoid, such as one's saliva, street dust, smoke, etc.

Brushing the teeth.

Injection or intra-venous which is solely medical and not nutritional.

Breaking of fast under exceptional conditions:

Muslims are permitted to break the ordained fast of Ramadan when there is danger to their health. In this situation a Muslim should make up his fast later at any other time of the year."

<hr>
    These are instructions from:

RAMADAN: Rules & Regulations
    Compiled by Ishaq Zahid
    from
    SRI QP: 1994/002

Reference: "Every Day Fiqh" by Maulana Yusuf Islahi, translated by Abdul Aziz Kamal.

COURTESY: Islamic Information & News Network (IINN) ) Vol.4 No.43
    <hr>
    I believe that you could fast safely and retime your meds to take before and after. If you feel too badly to continue, then you are justified to . . " make up his fast later at any other time of the year."

L, Jeannette

Edited; To removed URL/WebAddress
  4. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

bump[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2003]
  5. karimah

karimah Member

as salaam alikum, i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have been fasting one day on and one day off but since last week i started getting sever attack Thursday night Friday morning pain, migraine and fibro fog energy wipe out, i know its partly to do with eating unhealthy food when i break fast outside, i have decided to take a few days off and really focus on eating healthy, avoiding all foods to avoid;refined carbohydrates, coffee, chocolate,junk food, white flour , wheat, cakes ,biscuits and having plenty of fruit and veggie, its not easy when you are tired becasue you just want stimulants like coffee and chocolate and con-venient food but i relasied that its a form of self sabotage, my Allah forgive me for sabotaging myself and my worship