Fibromyalgia: A Nutritional Approach???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Someone I worked with gave me a phone number to call regarding FM. I called the number for a free video about FM. I received the video and informational packet on FM. The literature was very very very good. Probably some of the best I have seen. However, the catch is this, it is a sales pitch to buy supplements. This "treatment" is a three stage process that includes supplements for transfer factor, magnesium, B-vitamins, malic acid, glucosamine and cartilage, methylsulfonylmethane, boswellia serrata, cysteine and derivatives, glutamine and urea, glutathione, creatine, N-acetyl-l-cysteine, melatonin, and a couple of other things. The informational packet is titled: Fibromyalgia: A Nutritional Approach by William Hennen, Ph.D. Has anyone heard of this guy and his approach? If so, good or bad? Thanks!

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Someone I worked with gave me a phone number to call regarding FM. I called the number for a free video about FM. I received the video and informational packet on FM. The literature was very very very good. Probably some of the best I have seen. However, the catch is this, it is a sales pitch to buy supplements. This "treatment" is a three stage process that includes supplements for transfer factor, magnesium, B-vitamins, malic acid, glucosamine and cartilage, methylsulfonylmethane, boswellia serrata, cysteine and derivatives, glutamine and urea, glutathione, creatine, N-acetyl-l-cysteine, melatonin, and a couple of other things. The informational packet is titled: Fibromyalgia: A Nutritional Approach by William Hennen, Ph.D. Has anyone heard of this guy and his approach? If so, good or bad? Thanks!

Kurt
  3. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

You can take all that stuff on your own! I have to say, I have tried just about everything! Supplements do help. I sugest you go to the drug store or health food store & talk to someone who can get you started on a few of these supplements. You may find that some of them do not agree with you while others may make a differnce! It's trial & era. I know "MY" body does not handle the B vits well. Most folks with FM are lacking Vit B. All I can say is, that you have to give it a try to see if it helps you!

Good Luck,

Robin
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have taken, or am taking, everything on that list except transfer factor (too expensive). I also did not see COQ10, which I consider to be an important one, esp. for the 75% of us who have a Mitral Valve Prolapse.
    You can do this on your own without paying someone a bundle.
    BTW, N-acetyl cysteine should not be taken for more than 8 weeks without taking 8 weeks off from it, cartiledge is useless because we can't absorb it, and boswellia and glucosamine only help arthritis, not FMS....this is only my opinion, but I have studied Nutritional medicine for quite awhile now. good luck,
    Klutzo
  5. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Sorry, I just wanted to bump this up once to get a little more information.

Kurt
  6. sybil

sybil New Member

done by a doctor Andrew J Wright an english G.P. who is one of the advisors to the British Medical Council for FMS,there is probably more than one cause for FMS.he does recommend some supplements,but it depends whether you have,'leaky gut',or immune system problems etc.
    i really don't see the point on taking loads of supplements unless you know exactly what is causing your FMS.
    i have been taking glucosamine and high strength cod liver oil capsules for my osteoarthritis for some time now.recently i began taking 15mgs a day zinc, [the safe level] and 4 capsules of garlic,the garlic is hopefully going to lower my chloresterol levels a bit.
    but apart from that i don't take anything,because i don't know why i have FMS and like you i see no point in throwing my money away on supplements and vitamins i don't need.
    vitamins especially.
    i have a well balanced semi- vegetarian diet,encompassing,plenty of fresh fish,fruit,vegetables,nuts,seeds and grains,complex carbohydrates.the only dairy product i have is milk each day for B12,i need that because i have pernicious anaemia.call me old-fashioned,but i'm not throwing money away on vitamins when i get enough in my food,

sybilxxx
  7. herblady

herblady New Member

all of those supplements are good. why don't you give a few a try? cindi